Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Things to look out for in Lidl and Aldi

I tried to do a Big Shop at Aldi, as an experiment, but failed somewhat. Maybe our branch is too small. There was just very little to buy for the time-pressured vegetarian.

I had to resort to lots of wine.
I think the problem is that we have become used to having whatever we want, seasons irrelevant. I find with lidl/aldi that I have to work out what to cook after shopping based on what there was rather than plan and shop to list.

I wouldn't give up going to other shops but it is so much cheaper I do try to go when I can.

I'm just the same in that local shops and markets round here don't keep the same hours as me. So I won't be giving up my delivery shop any time soon!

I wish Aldi would get their finger out and get in some of the lovely canned veggie hotpot they had last year.
Chunky soup doesn't cut it and I would like an occasional change from sprouts.

I can't think of much that I can't get from Lidl tbh. :confused: Stuff like tofu and bean sprouts possibly (but there's the Chinese supermarket for that :p). They stopped doing cannellini and borlotti beans for some reason. The shopping is one of the reasons I love London and Brixton in particular! Plus I work shifts so can shop during the day/week.

I think the problem is that we have become used to having whatever we want, seasons irrelevant. I find with lidl/aldi that I have to work out what to cook after shopping based on what there was rather than plan and shop to list.
It wasn't so much the veg, I can manage with what's seasonal, it was stuff like tortellini that are handy in the week, but only came in meat. And pasta sauce, with meat.

I get a delivery once a month from tesco for dog food, other bulky stuff and things I can't get from Aldi (tofu & Roses lime cordial which I seem to be addicted to :oops:) and then do my weekly 'top-up' shop in Aldi. Works really well for me.

It wasn't so much the veg, I can manage with what's seasonal, it was stuff like tortellini that are handy in the week, but only came in meat. And pasta sauce, with meat.
I had the exact opposite least week :D I want the meat ones and they just had veggie :D

I do agree, not sure how people do a full week shop but then I'm off eating arm which doesn't help.

I seem to be shopping in Aldi's more than Lidls at the moment and I'm starting to get the swing of the place. The veg is comparable. The little foil cat foods are pretty much the same as lidls and are the only ones Crusty will eat now, 20p a pop. The tinned fish seems pretty good. Nice to have a slightly different choice of cheeses. Got some halloumi for the first time to give it a try.

My big problem is the boxs of liqueurs. Some lovely brandy ones in dark chocolate. 150g for 99p! Went in about 2 minutes.

One of the big stumbling blocks to my attempts to avoid Sainsbury's/Tesco was cat food. The furry fuckers turned their nose up at lidl pouches (and they won't eat the expensive stuff from zooplus either:mad:). But I've just discovered they go mad for the stuff in little foil trays, which is only 20p each!

I seem to be shopping in Aldi's more than Lidls at the moment and I'm starting to get the swing of the place. The veg is comparable. The little foil cat foods are pretty much the same as lidls and are the only ones Crusty will eat now, 20p a pop.
Ha! Snap.

No, you need a 60 or 65 litre rucksack (properly adjusted and worn with the hipbelt fastened, for maximum kindness to your shoulders). I'm not joking.
But could I actually fill it with it on my back ?
(I managed to miss that bit off my post.)
I'm anal about loading the conveyor and buy stuff in twos, but it's when it comes to bagging up that the problem arises.

My cats have to be on a special diet :(
I get a special dry food for mine. I decided to try the senior version because they're 9 and they eat it fine but it must be lower energy because they're driving me mad in the mornings ATM with demands for food.

But could I actually fill it with it on my back ?
Use a supermarket trolley to go round the shop (rucksack in trolley so that you can reach stuff without it catching on the shelves). Take the trolley to the packing shelf. Lay the rucksack on it. Fill it. Fasten it and heave it upright. Pull to the edge of the shelf. Reverse into the straps and fasten. Go home, stand near a wall, release the hipbelt, free your shoulders, and slide the damn thing to the floor.

One of the big stumbling blocks to my attempts to avoid Sainsbury's/Tesco was cat food. The furry fuckers turned their nose up at lidl pouches (and they won't eat the expensive stuff from zooplus either:mad:). But I've just discovered they go mad for the stuff in little foil trays, which is only 20p each!

When we had 3 and we tried them out on Aldi cat food it was ALWAYS pre-empted with a loud conversation between me and Mrs Voltz along the lines of

"Ohh!!! - I do hope the cats like this NEW EXPENSIVE EXCLUSIVE FOREIGN specially imported cat food we've got for them - it's so much better than that cheap nasty stuff we used to get for them"

I mean - it didn't actually work - they'd turn their noses up at pretty much anything but at least it felt like we'd try to sell it to them

I can't think of much that I can't get from Lidl tbh. :confused: Stuff like tofu and bean sprouts possibly (but there's the Chinese supermarket for that :p). They stopped doing cannellini and borlotti beans for some reason. The shopping is one of the reasons I love London and Brixton in particular! Plus I work shifts so can shop during the day/week.
I have to get East End cannellini beans from Tesco. They are in the 'Ethnic' section & are cheaper than Tescos own brand & are a better quality.

I have to get East End cannellini beans from Tesco. They are in the 'Ethnic' section & are cheaper than Tescos own brand & are a better quality.

There are a ton of actual "ethnic" shops near me where I can get ALL the beanz.

I popped into Aldi in Keighley today for a christmas pudding and to try their wine.

I've only ever been into two Aldi and three Lidl but a survey based on just five stores stores :rolleyes::) leads me to conclude that Lidl is much nicer than Aldi. Is this a national experience or is just the difference between Todmorden, Sowerby Bridge and Clitheroe (Lidl) and Halifax and Keighley (Aldi)?

Also I bought the 12 months matured christmas pudding, does anyone know if that's the one they got all the praise for last year? Or do I need to back again to get the right one :facepalm:

I popped into Aldi in Keighley today for a christmas pudding and to try their wine.

I've only ever been into two Aldi and three Lidl but a survey based on just five stores stores :rolleyes::) leads me to conclude that Lidl is much nicer than Aldi. Is this a national experience or is just the difference between Todmorden, Sowerby Bridge and Clitheroe (Lidl) and Halifax and Keighley (Aldi)?

Also I bought the 12 months matured christmas pudding, does anyone know if that's the one they got all the praise for last year? Or do I need to back again to get the right one :facepalm:

My experience based on Aldis in Peckham and Cheadle, and Lidls in Brixton, Peckham and Streatham is that Aldi is nicer.

My experience based on Aldis in Peckham and Cheadle, and Lidls in Brixton, Peckham and Streatham is that Aldi is nicer.
My mum's local Aldi is far nicer than Lidls in Brixton - I assumed that's because it's in leafy suburbia, but it sounds like it's across the board then. Peckham is a bit too far for me, unfortunately.

We had some Aldi mini stollen (er, in October :oops:) and they were very nice indeed...

I went into Lidl for the first time ever this week and it was all sweeties and cakes and I cant eat those but I got some good thermal socks and vests

I prefer Lidl to Aldi myself - I tried the 2nd Sydenham Lidl today (the one up closer to Downham) - not bad! Tbf.. i'v only tried the Anerley and the New Kent Road Aldis - I've tired many more Lidls. So far the Norbury one has been the best I think - although the one I went to today was also very good.

Back
Top Bottom