Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Things to look out for in Lidl and Aldi

I've never been in a Lidl but I'm about to so I'm parked outside reading this thread for recommendations...

Take some bags in with you.

Now you tell me. You also should have mentioned that I'd need a pound coin for the trolley, there' are seperate entrance and exit doors and that they didn't sell anything that I wanted to buy.

Apart from some maple syrup fudge...

Now you tell me. You also should have mentioned that I'd need a pound coin for the trolley, there' are seperate entrance and exit doors and that they didn't sell anything that I wanted to buy.

Apart from some maple syrup fudge...
All the more for the rest of us ;) Just fudge then?

How was there no puree? It's a cooking staple and in mine there is two shelves to the stuff. And there is always veg in that I need, usually more too. And it's quality is better than asda or Morrison's

Honestly, there was nothing! There was no corn or green beans and the carrots looked well past their eat by date.

Ahh.

I shall go again but next time I'll take the boys. I was looking at things but didn't know if they would eat them or not so didn't buy them. I've hidden my fudge.

And some lamb mince. :D There weren't any vegetables or tomato purée or anything I needed. I can't see how it would be possible to do a proper shop in there.
There's usually tomato puree (it's a staple here) but occasionally they run out for a week or two. The same seems to go for some of the veg, including frozen green beans.

FWIW most branches do have baskets as well as trolleys, but they tend to be by the tills. As for the £1 for the trolley, most shops require that now.

OTOH the branch you visited might just have a more inept manager than most.

Last edited:
Oh really. So horrible no one else in your house will like them? :D

The soft marzipan will be going binwards. Blurgh.
Oh dear, I think I've got some of that marzipan stashed in the cupboard. Luckily it's got some mini stollen keeping it company. So we can have that to take the taste away...

I have just been to Aldi and bought nothing. Nearly bought face cream but could not be arsed queuing. I will return to Lidl for nuts though. I think Lidl is the better one.

I had an incident at lidl today that left me a little miffed; at the checkout I always pay before I start packing and move my basket to an empty till area to free up the cashier for the next customer. This morning some jobsworth picked up my basket and moved it across the store to some overcrowded shelf, no word of explanation no nothing. I thanked them for their kindness and told them in future I shall ensure I do all my packing at my one pace before paying for my goods. :D

I had an incident at lidl today that left me a little miffed; at the checkout I always pay before I start packing and move my basket to an empty till area to free up the cashier for the next customer. <snip>
In every branch of Lidl which I can get to, they don't allow you to take the basket beyond the point at which you pay; they're scared of them being nicked!

I do know. It's rubbish I can assure you. I'm sure me and real ale would get on very very well indeed!!

You probably would! If you dislike bitter flavours, get hold of a copy of CAMRA's Good Beer Guide. IIRC they give measurements of bitterness, so you could avoid that sort of thing in favour of, for example, Scottish ales, or Mann's Brown! :)

I tried to do a Big Shop at Aldi, as an experiment, but failed somewhat. Maybe our branch is too small. There was just very little to buy for the time-pressured vegetarian.

I had to resort to lots of wine.

I do a big shop at lidl maybe twice a month or a bit less and supplement with local shops/markets.

Ah, the joys of London :D We don't have 'local shops' and the market and I don't keep the same hours.

I had an incident at lidl today that left me a little miffed; at the checkout I always pay before I start packing and move my basket to an empty till area to free up the cashier for the next customer. This morning some jobsworth picked up my basket and moved it across the store to some overcrowded shelf, no word of explanation no nothing. I thanked them for their kindness and told them in future I shall ensure I do all my packing at my one pace before paying for my goods. :D

In every branch of Lidl which I can get to, they don't allow you to take the basket beyond the point at which you pay; they're scared of them being nicked!

I didn't know whether to put this here or, slightly derail the Supermarket Etiquette thread - these 2 posts have made my decision for me

I have no problems with the checkout people blasting through stuff as that's their job after all I don't have a problem with a small area behind the till, where, unless you are blindingly fast repacking I believe you should repack your trolley or basket (as I'm sure I seen mentioned in the Aldi chain) and then pack your bags at your leisure in the desk behind tills

Now do they want people through the tills quick or do they want people not to take their baskets away - they can't have it both ways

I didn't know whether to put this here or, slightly derail the Supermarket Etiquette thread - these 2 posts have made my decision for me

<snip> do they want people through the tills quick or do they want people not to take their baskets away - they can't have it both ways
Trolleys are allowed beyond the till, baskets are not. I agree that it's a pain, but that and the long queues, and having huge transeuropean chains, and keeping the employees on long hours, are what keep the prices down.

Back
Top Bottom