Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Things to look out for in Lidl and Aldi

Saw this in reddit, after a woman was left shaking and crying in front of her children because of the speed the aldi checkout was throwing products at her.

I didn't realize but:

With the following delightful post, most of which I actually did when I went to Aldi because I hate making people wait around for me, and I like a challenge. :)

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you can't keep up with the cashier in Lidl or Aldi, you should fuck off to Asda

I almost bought a cordless drill on a rare visit to Lidl the other week but it didn't come with a battery so wussed out.

How easy is it to get batteries for these random drills?
the Lidl (and Aldi) power tools use their own brand batteries & chargers. So you can only get a replacement when they do the appropriate specials (about once or twice a year). On the up side, you can buy the battery (or two) on their own . When they do the specials you can sometimes get a battery + charger deal which is cheaper than buying each separately.

Also, I found them to be very good quality and I have a hammer drill (and orig battery) for nearly 10 years now. Got an additional couple of batteries (plus 1 more charger + 1 power saw + 1 more drill) over the years as they dont change the model and all their batteries work on their own brand tools

I've somewhat ironically seen the elderly get on better at the self checkout. Especially if they're on a scooter, they can just sit there in front of it and pootle about at their own pace.
Not at my bloody Lidl they don't. Half the time you can't get any help when the scales fuck up because the assistant is putting through some coffin dodger's shopping for them.

Thread's reminded me to bulk buy some of these which I first found in Aldi

Yum :)

I like how they call them 'sharing bags' no chance :rolleyes:

Not at my bloody Lidl they don't. Half the time you can't get any help when the scales fuck up because the assistant is putting through some coffin dodger's shopping for them.
I am amused when they have to come by because a 600g item is weighing 603g. I have serious doubts that the scales have a margin of error that small. But then by contrast they know their bakery has zero quality control and you can pop nearly anything on there and call it a loaf of bread and it's fine.

I am amused when they have to come by because a 600g item is weighing 603g. I have serious doubts that the scales have a margin of error that small. But then by contrast they know their bakery has zero quality control and you can pop nearly anything on there and call it a loaf of bread and it's fine.
Really? I got caught putting a hefty creme-filled 75p doughnut through as a 39p ring one. All I got was a reprimanding look though.
I think that's a recent thing though as I used to put everything through as a plain white roll. I just have to do that at Sainsburys now where the sales seem less sensitive.

• Wow
Reactions: Chz
Thread's reminded me to bulk buy some of these which I first found in Aldi

Yum :)

I like how they call them 'sharing bags' no chance :rolleyes:
I usually manage to "dilute" them by crumbling them on salad - see also bombay mix...

Had fun at the scab tills today.
I was so low on food that I didn't fancy the extra weight of two bottles of wine and I thought at least that would help make my checkout speedy...
The first thing I did was accidentally scan my shopping list that was written on a hummus wrapper... before I'd had a chance to add my Ikea bags...
Then it turned out the scales on that one were wonky so I kept the assistant busy ...

I've just been looking at Lidl's what's coming up page and in terms of regional food next one (from 20th) is Iberian week, and I've spotted they're doing a kilo of paella rice for £1.49 which is really good value (Morrison's one is £2.29 for 500g). As well as a lot of frozen seafood which N might like - so might pop along to at least pick up a couple of things.

Absolutely no paella rice in our usual branch of Lidl, I notice again like the Italian one they are running this one for 2 weeks so I might try a different branch later in the week.

Got olives stuffed with anchovies and a dessert and a jar of anchovies with chillies from Iberian theme, and some stuff from their regular offerings, but was disappointed about lack of paella rice.

Saw this in reddit, after a woman was left shaking and crying in front of her children because of the speed the aldi checkout was throwing products at her.

I didn't realize but:

With the following delightful post, most of which I actually did when I went to Aldi because I hate making people wait around for me, and I like a challenge. :)

This is my technique to a T. 🤣

Is it bad I just take my sweet time and don’t care how fast they fling things at me, I’ll be done when I’m done? Here they tut tut you if you don’t line your items up with the bar code facing the cashier, but that doesn’t bother me either 😁

Is it bad I just take my sweet time and don’t care how fast they fling things at me, I’ll be done when I’m done? Here they tut tut you if you don’t line your items up with the bar code facing the cashier, but that doesn’t bother me either 😁
No, I think that's fair enough. It just depends what game you want to play :D

Aldi beer battered fish, 2 portions. In the chiller section not frozen

Chip shop style. And just as good if cooked in oven or air fryer. Chips from chippie still

Back
Top Bottom