Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Virgin Mary

That is... actually quite creepy when you read the details.
Just like the vulva thing, your mind goes where you allow it to go.. Dr Schoeman describes Her as breathtakingly beautiful, kind and gentle, but perhaps a wee bit impatient...

The Gospel of Luke is evidence for it; not to mention the painting above...
Luke 10:18, "I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven."

"The peoples of the world do not invent their gods. They deify their victims. What prevents researchers from discovering this truth is their refusal to grasp the real violence behind the texts that represent it.". ― René Girard, I See Satan Fall Like Lightning.

People believe all sorts of daft stuff
But... but...
85378291.jpg

This whole time I had thought that the Sacred Heart was Mary's heart, it's only today that I've learned that the Sacred Heart is Jesus's and it's Mary's heart that's the Immaculate one. In my defence I'm not a Catholic, never have been, and have no real reason to know about any of this stuff. Anyway, whether it's sacred or immaculate, you can't deny that Mary's sorrowful heart is one of the fucking hardest pieces of iconography ever:
1725574401441.jpeg
Say what you like about goths, they were really on to something when they came up with Catholicism.

I made the exact same point on a previous thread and danny la rouge didn't give me the reasoned comparative religion answer he just gave you, but decided I was cruelly targeting Catholics with prejudice.
I don’t remember. Apologies if I was unduly harsh.

Thing is, I am interested in comparative religion. It’s fascinating.

What I’m not interested in is trying to persuade theists of an atheist or agnostic position. (Or indeed vice versa). There’s no point. It’s just upsetting for both sides.

Quite happy to hear people explain their own beliefs about religion. But that’s a different thing.

This whole time I had thought that the Sacred Heart was Mary's heart, it's only today that I've learned that the Sacred Heart is Jesus's and it's Mary's heart that's the Immaculate one. In my defence I'm not a Catholic, never have been, and have no real reason to know about any of this stuff. Anyway, whether it's sacred or immaculate, you can't deny that Mary's sorrowful heart is one of the fucking hardest pieces of iconography ever:
View attachment 441367
Say what you like about goths, they were really on to something when they came up with Catholicism.
Nay was the Goths that sacked Rome.

What I’m not interested in is trying to persuade theists of an atheist or agnostic position. (Or indeed vice versa). There’s no point. It’s just upsetting for both sides.
Yes I broadly agree. I'm live and let live unless someone attempts either to persuade me, or starts making biblical references in a historical/factual discussion.

In the end Christians and adherents of other religions rely on faith, on belief, as they themselves often admit. The main reason for that is that you can't actually prove the truth of any religion, because any text is open to question, to multiple interpretations.
But they still make pathetic attempts to prove this ultimate truth.
As humans we realise that a mere statement of belief is unconvincing. People lie, invent facts, fill in gaps in stories, make mistakes, hallucinate etc etc. We need proof of some sort to believe things. Just because stories are old and form part of a holy book does not give them any special veracity, especially since we know that such texts have been altered many times in their early days.

So it comes down to this. You need faith to believe. You don't need proof. In theory. Yet we do need proof, in fact. And there isn't any.

The theological arguments are often pretty sophisticated and satisfying in their own way, hence the historical longevity, though obviously realpolitik at play too.
The Visigothic Kingdom was a hotbed of Arianism IIRC, so maybe you can't pin Catholicism on them.

Last edited:
I’m often surprised by the number of atheists (and I’m an atheist) who think there was no historical Jesus. They’re convinced. They just want there to not have been a real guy at the root of it all. And so, evidence they’d be quite happy to (and would need to) accept for any other 1st Century figure, especially an illiterate one one in the edge of the Empire, becomes “insufficient” evidence of an historical Jesus.

The historicity of Jesus is now pretty well established. We do need to differentiate him from the “Christ of faith”, but it’s actually going some to persist in insisting no such historical person existed.

I’m often surprised by the number of atheists (and I’m an atheist) who think there was no historical Jesus. They’re convinced. They just want there to not have been a real guy at the root of it all. And so, evidence they’d be quite happy to (and would need to) accept for any other 1st Century figure, especially an illiterate one one in the edge of the Empire, becomes “insufficient” evidence of an historical Jesus.

The historicity of Jesus is now pretty well established. We do need to differentiate him from the “Christ of faith”, but it’s actually going some to persist in insisting no such historical person existed.
'Pretty well established' is not conclusive. If we exclude the 'Christ of faith' then we are excluding the Christ of the Virgin Birth, the Christ of the Nativity, the Christ of the Miracles, the Christ of the Temptation on the Wilderness, the Christ of the Crucifixion, the Christ of the Resurrection and the Christ of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost. Which leaves us with some bloke called Jesus knocking around Palestine once upon a time. Not a lot proof really.

'Pretty well established' is not conclusive. If we exclude the 'Christ of faith' then we are excluding the Christ of the Virgin Birth, the Christ of the Nativity, the Christ of the Miracles, the Christ of the Temptation on the Wilderness, the Christ of the Crucifixion, the Christ of the Resurrection and the Christ of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost. Which leaves us with some bloke called Jesus knocking around Palestine once upon a time. Not a lot proof really.
This is the mistake lots of people make. They think that accepting an historical Jesus means accepting miracles and virgin births. It doesn’t.

Having read the academic arguments, I’m satisfied there was an historical Jesus. 100%? Of course not. Very little is 100% certain.

But I’m really not interested in arguing the toss with anyone determined to disagree, despite the scholarship. If they engage with that and still insist there’s absolutely nothing in it, then frankly they’re depending on faith just as much as religious people are.

On balance, there was an historical Jesus.

This is the mistake lots of people make. They think that accepting an historical Jesus means accepting miracles and virgin births. It doesn’t.

Having read the academic arguments, I’m satisfied there was an historical Jesus. 100%? Of course not. Very little is 100% certain.

But I’m really not interested in arguing the toss with anyone determined to disagree, despite the scholarship. If they engage with that and still insist there’s absolutely nothing in it, then frankly they’re depending on faith just as much as religious people are.

On balance, there was an historical Jesus.
Jesus was a common name at the time. So there were lots of Jesuses. My question is still a valid one. If we don't accept the Christ of faith, what remains? We can't be certain of his teachings either, as they will have been invented/altered . You can have a similar argument about King Arthur.

Personally I'm convinced about Arthur. You want proof? I've been to Tintagel and seen Merlin's takeaway pizzas.

I guess I would ask what exactly you mean by a “historical Jesus”? The Jesus we’re talking about has a lot of very specific mythology associated with him. Are you saying there was a historical figure for whom this mythology is true? If not, what constitutes this “historical Jesus”? Just someone having a similar name?

Back
Top Bottom