Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Virgin Mary

Oliver Cromwell didn't nearly wipe out the Irish population as far I can tell. He was a butcher and was probably what we would call a war-criminal and huge bigot, but I don't think he got anywhere near those numbers.

Oliver Cromwell didn't nearly wipe out the Irish population as far I can tell. He was a butcher and was probably what we would call a war-criminal and huge bigot, but I don't think he got anywhere near those numbers.
He does have his defenders who think the behaviour of his army was par for the course by the rules of war at the time, e.g. Godly Brutality: The Cromwellian Conquest of Ireland, 1649-1650 ; the massacres at Drogheda and Wexford are notorious though.

Global love for Mary

Tldr?

Liberal take on how Mary is seen and interpreted in other cultures.

This bit is of particular interest and goes against bcuster's "true Catholics" reactionary take:

Worshippers and devotees are not easily reducible to their predefined religions. They assert their own hopes and needs that are often shaped by religious languages, sociopolitical realities and cultural habits.

What's wrong with that? I don't think we're disagreeing as much as you think
It means your claim that liberal Irish Catholics aren't "real Catholics" doesn't hold up, when you apply the logic used in the paragraph I quoted from your liberal magazine article that you evidently didn't read.

Mary is favourite for the 2pm race at Worcester today.

If the horse wins, it will undoubtedly prove all that has been said of her namesake. Not only True Catholics, but Protestants, Muslims and the very beasts proclaim the glory of Mary!

If it loses, it will show that horse racing and gambling are ungodly vices to be abominated.

Mary is favourite for the 2pm race at Worcester today.

If the horse wins, it will undoubtedly prove all that has been said of her namesake. Not only True Catholics, but Protestants, Muslims and the very beasts proclaim the glory of Mary!

If it loses, it will show that horse racing and gambling are ungodly vices to be abominated.

Dunno..
Screenshot_20240927_110631_Chrome.jpg
But Mutual Respect is also running...might be a better option for you to choose.

Last edited:
Perhaps you can enlighten us, and tell us when it was that the Roman Catholic Church ceased to blame the Jewish people for murdering God.

This post, like much else on the thread, is a complete misrepresentation of Catholic teaching.

Reading the thread it's striking how many non-Catholics are determined to "explain" to currently practising Catholics what Catholicism is or means.

I recognise that some posters are approaching this from the position of disagreeing with or being opposed to all religions, but many of these posts are examples of specifically anti-Catholic feeling, whether deliberate, conscious or not.

I recognise that some posters are approaching this from the position of disagreeing with or being opposed to all religions, but many of these posts are examples of specifically anti-Catholic feeling, whether deliberate, conscious or not.
The reason Catholicism gets such a bollocking is because many of us are or have been affected by it adversely, or family members have. That along with its oppressive history all around the world.

I was brung up in the Scottish protestant church. Basically a social club for my parents. I remember the minister telling us from the pulpit that Catholics were bad. That was one of the (many) stupid things that made me leave the church. A few years ago I went to a Catholic mass in a lovely catherdal in Spain for the culture of it. Just about identical to the services I remembered from childhood. When thinking of religion I can't help remembering the scene from Life of Brian when they start bickering over shoes and sandals.

Here's another giant of protestantism on the Perpetual Virginity of Mary; they all seem to firmly support the doctrine; hmm; I wonder why.... (hint: because it's true)
all of them, except the monster whose name shall not be menentioned (Cr...wel.)....

• John Wesley, like many prominent Protestant leaders such as Zwingli, Luther, Swedenborg and Calvin, firmly maintained that Mary was a perpetual virgin, meaning that she never had sexual relations with Joseph nor did she bare any other children except Jesus Christ.

Is there any basis for this belief anywhere? I'm genuinely curious where it originates.

And bound to be popular with the sex-is-bad camp. Which is pretty heavily represented in Christianity, although it's fallen out of mainstream favour now.

You can't blame the origin.
The message to love your neighbour as yourself if carried out, would mean an end to all wars...and a life of peace and sharing for all. It should be the aim for all of us. Many would say that the original message was radical..especially 2000 years ago. It's pretty radical even now .. the world of men(in the sense of all humans) is putting up walls instead of trying to help fellow man...

"When will they ever learn".
I give you Matthew 10 34-39

34 “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.
35 For I have come to turn “‘a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
36 a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’
37 “Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
38 Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me.
39 Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.

Jesus as a man of peace is a selective reading of the gospel. I commend those who select the peaceful bits but it is still selective.

This post, like much else on the thread, is a complete misrepresentation of Catholic teaching.

Reading the thread it's striking how many non-Catholics are determined to "explain" to currently practising Catholics what Catholicism is or means.

I would add that other Christian churches also condemned the Jewish people as being guilty of the murder of Jesus.

Martin Luther was notorious for his anti-Jewish views, which is why the Nazi regime in Germany celebrated him.

It means your claim that liberal Irish Catholics aren't "real Catholics" doesn't hold up, when you apply the logic used in the paragraph I quoted from your liberal magazine article that you evidently didn't read.
I only note the differences between a liberal view politics and social policy vs liberal distortion of certain, very few infallible Catholic dogma.

I give you Matthew 10 34-39

34 “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.
35 For I have come to turn “‘a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
36 a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’
37 “Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
38 Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me.
39 Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.

Jesus as a man of peace is a selective reading of the gospel. I commend those who select the peaceful bits but it is still selective.

I've read the synoptic gospels recently and I was even thinking of starting a thread on it. I find Matthew terrifyingly especially if read in the context of a soon expected bloody apocalypse (which obviously didn't happen). I don't think the above language is metaphorical.

Back
Top Bottom