Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Virgin Mary

Why is Mary so worshipped anyway? Is there anything in the Bible to support such idolatry? I was under the impression it was not advised to worship anyone other than God. Did the Catholics find a loophole?

Anyway, my own beliefs are agnostic. I can't say for sure one way or the other. My daily reality is tangible Newtonian physics with a bit of spiritual intuition thrown in which could well be coincidence or may be synchronicity. Science tells us of a quantum reality underlying this one which is decidedly spooky and barely understood. Nobody knows what consciousness is or why anything exists at all.

All the theories are interesting to research. I've read about NDEs and OBEs. Had a couple of OBEs myself. Spoke to "God" during which I understood the universe presents itself in whatever form is most meaningful to us, be it any of the religious beliefs and philosophies. Which produces the hedging truth that everyone is right. Maybe that was just a conversation with myself in a moment of self-realisation. Who knows? I wouldn't bet the farm on any firm answer.
It's a mystery.

As a young person in Ireland, it often felt like a cult. Marys in every corner of every parish. It tipped over into hysteria when she/they started to move around in the grottos.

Meanwhile, as the Maryists worshipped a lie, lies were used against real women who were vilified for so-called immoral behaviour.

Dark days.

maybe I am. The Catholic view of Oliver Cromwell is that he is an intolerant monster. The English lauded him as a national hero
They certainly didn't. He was popular among a small group of religious maniacs - the Puritans. However, there was huge celebration in England when the restoration happened, and Oliver was soon forgotten.

If someone sincerely believes that they have knowledge that will keep me from an eternity of hellfire, then I can actually respect that they would try to tell me about it.

Yeah, I'm quit pissed with my local Jehovah Witnesses that they don't come knocking anymore.

It's a mystery.

As a young person in Ireland, it often felt like a cult. Marys in every corner of every parish. It tipped over into hysteria when she/they started to move around in the grottos.

Meanwhile, as the Maryists worshipped a lie, lies were used against real women who were vilified for so-called immoral behaviour.

Dark days.
I don't accept that at all. If one wanted to classify Mary as a "single mother" (which she wasn't); be assured Mary was never vilified by Catholics for this perception; on the contrary, She is regarded as the most important Person in history, behind Jesus, Himself...

What a wonderful feast day for the English; some of the very same folks who tried so hard to crush her veneration during the time of the reign of Cromwell the Monster

Cromwell's heirs don't deserve Her, but She loves them nonetheless

It’s pretty bizarre to represent the English as some kind of nation of Cromwell-lovers when the reality is that the followers of Cromwell were themselves overthrown and a Catholic king reinstated in their place.

What a wonderful feast day for the English; some of the very same folks who tried so hard to crush her veneration during the time of the reign of Cromwell the Monster
Why is it wonderful? A huge percentage of English people have no religion and couldn't give a toss about saints and feast days.

Back
Top Bottom