Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Traitors ‘24 (starts Wed 3/1/24 9pm).

We finished Aussie Traitors S1 the other day, but this thread is hard to reply due to not knowing which season or even country people are talking about half the time. Anyway, thoughts:

Kate was brilliant. Yeah, she got it very wrong to begin with, but they had nothing to go on. When she had something to go on she cottoned on quickly and used the knowledge well. The set-up of Marielle was absolutely fantastic TV. They worked together well for once, even though they were all clearly finding it difficult, and they did it!

Kate was also such a good shot that, if I were an actress wanting to play a sharp shooter calmly killing someone, I'd study her. It's not terribly surprising, since her job means she essentially does the same thing only with a camera, but it was still impressive. Also she had style. She looked like she should be an actress in American romcoms or serious dramas.

The smiley guy, Lewis, also looked like a movie character. Also, he was adorable. We cheered when he got the shield, even before he did a fantastic victory dance.

Teresa was very watchable too. Just totally, unashamedly herself (and also quite stylish). "I've been stealing shit from this hotel for days," :D

Nigel could have been in a spy movie with Kate, the way he handled the laser challenge. And he was genuinely a good traitor.

Alex was a fucking excellent, lethal traitor. Very clever girl. The traitors made such a mistake choosing her.

Her just shaking her head at Craig at the end, and his slow realisation followed by the penny dropping and then his face following suit - aww, I felt bad for him. For a few seconds he was sure he'd won loads of money. That's another one for acting students to study.

Also, what was it with the production values? It was so fucking cheap. Bog-standard hotel; it's not like Australia is lacking in nice buildings, and it doesn't necessarily have to be old. All those shots at the hotel windows with ragged net curtains. The centrepiece of a pile of Club biscuits representing "silver." (Why silver?) The presenter auditioning for different presenting jobs with his outfits on every show (and he reused a lot of them). All the music was about ten bits made for the show and reused constantly. The contestants doing the driving! This was no high budget production.

We had the best time wondering if the reason they weren't allowed to many rooms at the cheapo conference centre hotel was using a room for the AGM of the local tyre importing company. And Dirk, the hotel concierge, we decided he was the concierge at that actual hotel, had been pulled in last minute when someone dropped out, and still had to do his day job even after he was banished. "No bacon for you this morning, Teresa!" "Fuck you Dirk, I've already pinched four kilos of Danish streaky."

Then of course Paul having about five sentences on camera and nearly all towards the end when they didn't have as many people to show, so had no choice. I don't understand the "props" thing - surely the production team, after the first time, could simply have said "nope, give that teddy bear to me, thanks." Wouldn't be surprised if they usually checked their bags or patted them down when they they came into the hotel, anyway - it wouldn't be unreasonable, because they could have been bringing bugs with them to spy and find out details or leak stuff to the press.

Which I think the "psychic" lady may have done. That sounds paranoid, but fake psychics, or even ones who believe they're real but need a boost, do use bugs to find stuff out about their marks. And she knew about the steam train. That's a very specific thing to know. I think she left because she was cheating, and was caught, but the show doesn't want to admit it.

Fantastic. Esp considering the first couple of eps were much too old-school reality TV.

Last edited:
booo :(

Jasmine says the volume and nature of the online comments made her worry she'd be abused in the street, and that "everyone hated" her.
"And I didn't want to leave the house because of that," she says.
Although Jasmine did get a positive reaction from lots of fans, she says the negative comments started to crowd out the positive ones in her head.
"I genuinely couldn't believe when someone said to me, 'I really liked you on the show'," she says.
"I just thought they were taking pity on me because I just really, really let these comments get to me."
Jasmine says she's in a better place now and has been helped by the aftercare team from The Traitors.
"They're so hands-on and they have regular check-ins," she says. "They definitely helped me in making sure that I'm OK and getting over the kind of rut that I was in after seeing the negativity online."

I'm glad the show is genuinely helping, at least. But it's so shit. She was a good player, relatively - it's almost impossible to play the game well. Not that anyone at all deserves abuse - it is a game - but what a shocker that the women are getting more, and one of the black women is getting even more. And I bet some of the stuff she saw was pretty fucking out there - other people on Twit might not have seen as many death/rape threats as she very likely saw, reported and was deleted. Totally understandable for that - plus the more standard abuse that wasn't blocked - to crowd out the majority being on her side.

I love this ITV knock off. But Traitors is the best show ever.
I've watched Traitors Australia season one. Half way through season 2. Plus both US seasons. But our one is my favourite.
It almost makes me like Claudia Winkleman. Almost....

Enjoyed Fortune Hotel but I don't think it was as good as the Netflix knock-off (The Trust). Wasn't enough in the game dynamics to encourage backstabbing and paranoia.

Back
Top Bottom