Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

SEWING BEE 2022 - starts tomorrow Wednesday 27th April

My keen eye for fashion extends to comments along the lines of 'Last time I saw a dress like that it was on Little House on the Prairie'.
Brogan's duvet transformation? Was that the floral number with the really big floral collar? I had the same thoughts. 🤣

I have to admit I have started following Annie on insta 😂🙄🤦🏼‍♀️.

Parker wise I loved Brogans and Annies, I liked Gil's and Man Yee's fabric choices.

Me too, onenameshelley. I learned to sew with my mum, who was born with one arm, so I was very invested in Gill. Awful struggling with fiddly lingerie. Brogan, quite honestly, gets up my nose (which makes me feel like a bad and shallow person). I admit to being a bit partial to a touch of milkmaid myself...but yeah, THAT dress (shudders). Anyway, I have moved over to team Debra...I like her style and she can sew. Man Yee is her own worst enemy - spends ages faffing about with ridiculous, over-ambitious stuff, then has to get the glue gun out and do a desperate trawl of inappropriate haberdashery. Annie is pretty consistent and Christian has survived by keeping his head down and doing just enough. Awful PJs (that horrid turquoise).

Brogan's dress (the one she was wearing) is the Nina Lee Bakerloo blouse/dress pattern which has been super popular with sewists on Instagram. Big collars have been a thing the last couple of years but particularly in lockdown because of the Zoom factor. I flirted with making it myself but chickened out and went with something with a smaller collar (I still wear it for presenting webinars).

I went through that familiar "new fashion" process with it of "oh my god that's horrific" through to "maybe I should get one" fairly quickly... like when leggings made a come back etc.

Actually I thought hers was a pretty good version of it, one of the better ones I've seen.

Edit to clarify.

Last edited:
I really liked it! I’ve got totally confused between her dress and the transformation which was awful.
Fair point. Which are we talking about? I thought her transformation was ok too though and I feel like the judges are being quite hard on her now.

Big collars on small women (shudder).

I had a brief fling with spendy patterns (with frocks which had names) and even had a subscription to Seamworks...before getting annoyed at spending more money on the pattern than I did on the fabric...gone back to hacking and pinning old sheets.
I really enjoy the (brief) Amber Butchart bits...and am a subscriber to some woman called Evelyn something (memory fail) who deconstructs a lot of vintage clothing.

Gill leaving was justified but yeah, it also brought a tear to my eye. Amazing woman, amazing people, amazing show.

My GF thinks Brogan is too one-note, and I agree. Man Yee, Deborah and sometimes Christian push themselves out of their safe zone sometimes and Brogan does one thing very well indeed, but then pretty much stops there. She hasn't really risked failure like the others have by doing something interesting.

Also, the lingerie thing was an interesting challenge, but I kinda wish one of them had designed a plus-size set with really thick padded straps because from what I can garner (as a c-cup) that's what quite a few women need - and thick and padded doesn't have to mean not-sexy, either. Wasn't paying attention enough to tell whether going beyond the brief (hehehehehe) was allowed though.

Gill leaving was justified but yeah, it also brought a tear to my eye. Amazing woman, amazing people, amazing show.

My GF thinks Brogan is too one-note, and I agree. Man Yee, Deborah and sometimes Christian push themselves out of their safe zone sometimes and Brogan does one thing very well indeed, but then pretty much stops there. She hasn't really risked failure like the others have by doing something interesting.

Also, the lingerie thing was an interesting challenge, but I kinda wish one of them had designed a plus-size set with really thick padded straps because from what I can garner (as a c-cup) that's what quite a few women need - and thick and padded doesn't have to mean not-sexy, either. Wasn't paying attention enough to tell whether going beyond the brief (hehehehehe) was allowed though.
I haven't seen a lot of stuff around sewing bras for larger sizes.

I'd like to see them doing a made to measure challenge with plus size models. One of the main motivations for people to sew is if they can't find clothes they want in the shops. There's been a big push in the last few years to put pressure on pattern companies to make their sizing more inclusive as it wasn't any better than ready to wear. Lots of independent companies now have pretty good sizing.

I haven't seen a lot of stuff around sewing bras for larger sizes.

I'd like to see them doing a made to measure challenge with plus size models. One of the main motivations for people to sew is if they can't find clothes they want in the shops. There's been a big push in the last few years to put pressure on pattern companies to make their sizing more inclusive as it wasn't any better than ready to wear. Lots of independent companies now have pretty good sizing.

I would love to see that too. It's actually surprising that they haven't done it already. There are sizing differences when it comes to plus-sizing that aren't just "make it bigger." (You know that, ofc - just thinking out loud).

Bras just are horrible for anyone, even moreso for people whose enormous boobs are being held up by the same straps as bras for women with tiny boobs. It's weird. Sports bras exist, of course, but don't offer the same support.

So excited for retro week 30s❤️❤️❤️. come on Annie, I am such a fan girl 😍🤣

Also she was pregnant during this as well, so massive respect. When I was pregnant I spent 4 weeks making a small patchwork knee blanket, so she is amazing in my books.

Has Sara been pregnant all the way through this?

I only really noticed this week. Her previous wardrobe must have disguised it well.

Back
Top Bottom