Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

the sir jimmy savile obe thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway to press on with the theme now that we have a name:

Another pianist born in 1935 was Ian Lake whose story is tragic. He was born in Quorn in Leicestershire to working class parents. He was a precocious child and his mother worked as a chambermaid to finance his education. He won a scholarship to Trent College. While on national service he played the clarinet and viola in an Army band. He studied at RCM with the great Kendall Taylor and made his London debut at the Royal Festival Hall in 1961 playing Rachmaninov's Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini. He had a teaching post at RCM for about thirty years until 1995. He was a deeply sensitive man but, sadly, convicted of sexual offences in 1995 and was later smitten with cancer. He died on 12 August 2004, but will people remember his very fine playing, as I certainly do?
http://www.classical-composers.org/page/lost_generation_pianists

I wonder also how the 'demonising' of paedos as she puts it relates to her actions? Is that just something that other people do? That other people who point out convictions and the possible risks they represent are demonisers but pushing a paper to highlight it (on the basis of priviliged info) is something else altogether? People who might not be as good a speller as her for example?

I'm still a little disappointed that Ros Coward never shared a crack pipe with Ricky James. :(

She is not living up to her point by the way she avoided naming him, and its quite possible that the reasons she didnt are a variation of the very phenomenon she is complaining about.

As for her demonising point, I suppose she means that if tabloids make evil inhuman monsters out of people, then people have a harder time getting their heads round someone human they know turning out to be an abuser. I expect she is mentioning this stuff so that her audience cant hide behind this position when she tries to discuss the sex attack exaggeration stance. Yes there is intellectual snobbery involved when stuff is lazily dismissed as 'moral panic', but there is more to it than that since a less lazy approach also reveals plenty worth criticising with that sort of thing.

supposedly chants were "one jimmy Saville", "Jimmy Savile, he'll shag who he wants".

+a few hundred ripped seats, advertising boards etc out.

supposedly chants were "one jimmy Saville", "Jimmy Savile, he'll shag who he wants".

Ah right, saw that pre edit, see what you mean/who it was aimed at. Still, the Savile bit of the chant is :eek:

The thing is about Dave Jones - don't support it, but let's get it right. Fucking disgrace for our lot.

edit: Not to mention their turkey chants.

I'm not sure on this, but I reckon those chants were targeted at the wednesday manager David Jones, or related to him and the child abuse allegations he'd faced.

In June 1999 Jones was formally questioned by police over allegedsexual abuseat St George's School inFormby,Merseyside,[15]a home for children with educational and behavioural problems, where he had been employed as a care worker from 1986 to 1990.[16]After voluntarily attending the police station, he was arrested then questioned, before being released on bail without charge.[17]
He was found not guilty mind...

fucking stupid chant to be coming out with though, but Leeds fans collectively have never been the brightest when it comes to how our chants might come across in the press.

that lost in showbiz column in the graun is so much better than OK magazine, of course. it's ok to have an interest in celeb bullshit, as long as you're sneering.

that lost in showbiz column in the graun is so much better than OK magazine, of course. it's ok to have an interest in celeb bullshit, as long as you're sneering.

I have zero real interest. Only read that one for the pisstaking, prefer the album and film reviews etc later in Friday's G2 (some of which are genuinely good).

OK pisstaking sounds a bit better than sneering :oops: -- or at least I try and to pretend that to myself :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom