Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

the sir jimmy savile obe thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pat Mills, creator of Judge Dredd, has a story on his blog about girls' horror comic Misty, with which he was involved. I used to sneak a read of my sister's Misty when she was done with it, and I'm sure many of the lads on this board did too.

Anyway at the end of the story he has this to say:

I hope to come back to the subject of girls comics soon because that’s where the Comic Revolution actually began with Gerry Finley-Day, creator and first editor of Tammy. Bunty was great, but Tammy was revolutionary! For example, these astonishing stories from the early 1970s, all created by Gerry:

Slaves of War Orphan Farm. The wartime evacuee farm is run by the cruel Ma Thatcher (based on Mrs T, then infamous as Thatcher the Milk Snatcher) and was truly terrifying with the evacuees having to fight, escape and defeat genuinely evil monsters.

Ella on Easy Street – a profound and cool attack on middle-class values with beautiful artwork by Casanovas. Ella sabotages her parents plans to better themselves. She wants to stop them becoming high-achieving yuppies because she fears it could break up their happy family.

And Aunt Aggie: a working class, eccentric, ‘salt of the earth’ TV personality and national treasure with a heart of gold who makes children’s dreams come true on her mega-popular TV show, visiting orphans and helping the sick and the vulnerable. Behind the scenes, she cheats and mocks kids, hates them and lives a secret life of luxury, driving around in a customised Rolls-Royce. The heroine is Aunt Aggie’s orphan side-kick who sets out to sabotage her cruel plans.

Early 1970s, you say?

https://patmills.wordpress.com/2012/10/18/misty-the-female-2000ad/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/oct/18/jimmy-savile-protected-media

If anyone is in any doubt that paedophilia is still dismissed by influential groups, let me remind you that in certain liberal circles, there's a belief that paedophilia is "a moral panic". I meet it all the time in media studies. This goes far beyond the entirely reasonable view that campaigns like the News of the World's name and shame campaign are a dangerous and inflammatory way to approach a problem. Or that demonising paedophiles makes it more difficult to recognise the respectable ones in our own communities. The views I meet go much further than this critique; these views see sex abuse is an exaggerated problem. When I hear this, I always wonder why are people so keen to close down discussion of abuse. This, after all, is a subject that has taken centuries to dare to speak its name, which is not uncommon, and which has devastating consequences. Sex abuse only seems exaggerated until it affects you or people you know directly, until you see its devastating effect. Until you come close to someone whose behaviour distorts your ordinary perceptions so badly that it makes you doubt yourself and makes other people doubt you.

He was trying to out-nonce the church - but for Charideee. Wonder if he ever did Children in Need? Please God don't let it be so. :( Suspect quite a few BBC programme makers will have been going through their files to make sure he never put in an appearance.

He probably didn't, because 'some people' might have said he was taking part only to tamper with kiddies. The idea!

He probably didn't, because 'some people' might have said he was taking part only to tamper with kiddies. The idea!
That's the sad part. In the future whenever a 70 year old entertainer wants to take a 14 year old girl out of school and into his Rolls Royce/alchove/caravan, we'll end up thinking there's something amiss. Funny old world. :( Christ, the politically correct brigade will be clamping down on Jesus Juice and rohypnol next. :rolleyes:

Ok how does:

demonising paedophiles makes it more difficult to recognise the respectable ones in our own communities.​

Ros?

Wonder whether the (sub)editors mangled it?

Clearly, attention to stranger-danger nonces distracts attention from the great majority of molesters, who are related to their victims.

The largest single group, in fact, may well be church-going Daily Heil readers with stepchildren.

Yes, but it would make sense to search on those musicians whose death in 2004 had obits in the Guardian - and then cross-reference them with the Indy.

In 2004 at the time when I was writing regularly for the paper, the Guardian obituaries carried a glowing obit for this very man....At the time, the Independent carried an obit for this musician but chose to mention the conviction.

Yes, but it would make sense to search on those musicians whose death in 2004 had obits in the Guardian - and then cross-reference them with the Indy.
True, I was just being lazy. :oops: On the wiki list you've got Rick James who had a truly gruesome conviction for abduction and torture, but not with a minor, so probably not our man.

Another one for why the guardian is going down the pan - did she actually say she was traumatised or is the writer just putting words in her mouth? Reads like sneering at the rest of the abuse accusations by extension to me.
Good point. Kerry Katona also semms to have got to a point where her wannabee desparation has put her in a place where people feel they can say anything about her (Frankie Boyle heading that list).

A list of Guardian obits of musicians from 2004. Les Hall, Ray Charles and Rick James are crossed out because the Indy's obit don't mention arrests of a nature described by Ros Coward, or there doesn't seem to be an Indy obit.

I trawled through and listed any obitee whose description had them as a musician, plus a few music-related ones I recognised. Anyone described as a 'singer' or 'composer' I left out unless musical instruments were also mentioned. No guarantee I didn't make a mistake and miss someone out by accident, either.

Feel free to cross-reference with the Indy obits.

ETA: struck out Iona Brown and Janet Chisholm, because they are women.

Appreciation: Norman Platt | News | The Guardian
Obituary: Ron Aspery | The Guardian
Obituary: Don Lamond | World news | The Guardian
Obituary: Billy May | News | The Guardian
Obituary: James Lawrence | The Guardian
Obituary: Les Gray | The Guardian
Les Gray - Obituaries, News - The Independent
Obituary: Vilayat Khan | The Guardian
Obituary: AC Reed | World news | The Guardian
Obituary: Denis Stevens | The Guardian
Obituary: Claude Williams | The Guardian
Obituary: Alvino Rey | The Guardian
Obituary: Boris Pergamenschikow | World news | The Guardian
Obituary: Barney Kessel | Music | The Guardian
Obituary: Elvin Jones | The Guardian
Obituary: John RT Davies | The Guardian
Ray Charles, 1930-2004 | Culture | guardian.co.uk
Ray Charles - Obituaries - News - The Independent
Obituary: Iona Brown | The Guardian
Obituary: Steve Lacy | The Guardian
Obituary: Lennie Bush | The Guardian
Obituary: Ronald Smith | The Guardian
Obituary: Piero Piccioni | World news | The Guardian
Obituary: Rick James | World news | The Guardian
Rick James - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Obituary: Janet Chisholm | World news | The Guardian
Obituary: Pete Strange | The Guardian
Obituary: Granville Edwards | The Guardian
Obituary: Danny Freeman | The Guardian
Obituary: Carl Wayne | Culture | The Guardian
Obituary: Ernie Ball | The Guardian
Obituary: Skeeter Davis | The Guardian
Obituary: Max Geldray | The Guardian
Obituary: Bruce Palmer | The Guardian
Obituary: Dave Godin | The Guardian
Obituary: John Peel | Music | The Guardian
Obituary: Vernon Alley | The Guardian
Obituary: Terry Knight | The Guardian
Obituary: Ol' Dirty Bastard | Music | The Guardian
Obituary: Kevin Coyne | The Guardian
Obituary: Dick Heckstall-Smith | Music | The Guardian
Obituary: 'Bishop' Joe Perry Tillis | World news | The Guardian

Did not Chris Blackwood warn us that nonces send nonce fumes through computer keboards? People laughed. :(
918666990_421b2842ac.jpg

Scanning through the comments I see this, so I dont think you should be using a current list of Guardian obits to figure it out:

I wasn't Obits editor in 2004, but it looks as if once Ros Coward contacted the paper, the piece was taken down from the website. This would almost certainly have been done after a discussion involving the Readers' editor. Staff and procedures have changed since then, and naturally we'd always want to respond to legitimate concerns in difficult cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom