Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

the sir jimmy savile obe thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or, if this were a novel, securely disposing of the victims of paedophiles since <enter year>!!! :eek:

It depends if it was a Paul Auster novel he would have been ringing his hands about his inability to write about the victims while following an eccentric character with mad white hair and colourful tracksuit around his iconic hometown before eventually dicovering the white hair is a wig and it's actually himself.

I was just thinking today about the issue of who knew and yet did not speak up.

I'm thinking about this as someone who has tried to report dangerous predators to the police and / or the NSPCC at various times but who has sometimes received a response that there is nothing that can be done.

In order to start an investigation the police need to have evidence, that is to say that you need to be able to tell them that I saw X person doing X inappropriate act with X child on such and such a date.

You can tell them that X person has convictions for indecent assault and offenses relating to, say, pimping, you can show them a photo in a recent newspaper photo that shows X person working with under age teenage girls at such and such a place on such and such a date and the response will be something like "so you didn't actually see him doing anything to a child? If not sorry but there's nothing we can do".

Similarly you cannot go to the police and say "There are loads of rumours about Dr Sidney Bloggs and everyone says he's a paedophile, all the nurses try to hide the kids when he's on the wards and everyone is scared of him" and expect them to do anything.

It seems very likely that in JS's case that there were some complicit / corrupt cops involved in cover-ups but I think it may also be possible that other cops had serious concerns about JS but were not able to take action as they had insufficient evidence at the time.

Add to that, the unfortunate fact that for at least the last 30 years we've had a criminal justice culture that uses economic measures as part of how they gauge whether to prosecute a case ("what's the chance of conviction? How long will it go on/how much will it cost us if they plead 'not guilty' "), and (as always) the weakest are the unlikeliest to see justice, and the strong are less likely to be subjected to legal proceedings.

It depends if it was a Paul Auster novel he would have been ringing his hands about his inability to write about the victims while following an eccentric character with mad white hair and colourful tracksuit around his iconic hometown before eventually dicovering the white hair is a wig and it's actually himself.

I'm not a fan of Paul Auster. I tried reading the New York trilogy, but it was like wading through a swamp of self-indulgence and cod-metaphysical waffle.

It often feels like David Peace is writing this at the moment.

Writing alone wouldnt do it justice, need visuals. Speaking of which the mirror are having a field day.

Jimmy+Savile+sent+this+card+in+1966+to+Sylvia+Pontin

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jimmy-savile-molested-teen-moments-1378390

passed a newsagents today - one paper (may have been Sunday Sport) had the headline "Saville had sex with dead bodies"??!!

All bollocks, the mail i think it was looked into all these claims and publicly called him a total liar - the 11 consecutive xmas at chequers etc. I'll find the link in a sec.

edit: found it.

he seems to have spent 1988 new year at Chequers, see first two results:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=jimmy savile chequers&btnG=Search Books&tbm=bks&tbo=1

here's more on that Auberon Waugh diary i mentioned to before, which says that at the time of the Falklands War, Thatcher only listened to Jimmy Savile and Tory advisor Ferdinand Mount:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Vdui7_3_I84C&pg=PA191&lpg=PA191&dq=jimmy savile thatcher&source=bl&ots=bIrSXB2QwJ&sig=phBEJyCPgHZRhBVq0DtuAUV_tic&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Yfd6UOdKopXRBf3igYAD&ved=0CGEQ6AEwCTge#v=onepage&q=jimmy savile thatcher&f=false

then theres the last result at the following link, from the Private Eye:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=jimmy savile chequers&btnG=Search Books&tbm=bks&tbo=1#q=jimmy savile thatcher&hl=en&safe=off&tbo=1&tbm=bks&psj=1&ei=Yfd6UOdKopXRBf3igYAD&start=0&sa=N&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=7a824d630652c000&bpcl=35277026&biw=1440&bih=777

which says "THE latest brainwave to come from the Thatcher-Mount-Jimmy Savile junta is for a wage of £15 a week to be paid to children in state schools so that they will stay there after the age of 16. An extra couple of years will qualify them better for a ..."

its hard to know if the last two are humour or not though. Auberon Waugh wrote for Private Eye at this time so both may be from the same single source (Waugh).

Thatcher also appeared on Jim'll fix it at least twice, and Savile performed in a party political broadcast for the Tories in 1974, although obviously neither point in itself is especially significant.

edit for accuracy: Waugh wrote for Private Eye, wasn't editor.

The stuff about Thatch only listening to Saville sounds a bit like PR, to be honest. She was not that au fait with the popular media, IIRC. On being told that a joke in one of her speeches was taken from Monty Python (and she never understood any of the jokes her speechwriters gave her) she said "and this Monty Python, is he one of us".

Just to make a few final points about that Charles Kaye book.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...7xIG4AQ&ved=0CFIQ6AEwBzgK#v=onepage&q&f=false

Kaye makes a point of saying he was on holiday when the interview panel for the Broadmoor job did their work:

An interviewing panel was set up for Broadmoor Hospital where Alan Franey, the administrator with a task-force was appointed, at a time when I was away and couldn't attend.
(end of page 32)

Franey himself appears to have been appointed twice - first as a six-week secondment as part of a task-force (which I assume lasted far more than 6 weeks), and then later as general manager once the SHSA was in place.

Having spent my entire career in the NHS working at hspitals in Brighton, London and Leeds I found the thought of working within Broadmoor somewhat daunting, never having thought of it previously. I had an unusual meeting in the Athenaeum Club in London with some officials who shall remain nameless and I was persuaded that a move to Broadmoor Hospital would be a good career step.

In October 1988 I arrived on the back of a very highly critical Health Advisory Service report which described the hospital as 'an inward looking institution with some very doubtful methods of dealing with disturbed behaviour', and the message was clear: 'change it or close it'. There were over 200 recommendations; I had the daunting task of drawing up an action plan and the then Minister, Edwina Currie, thought this could be achieved in six weeks. It was some six months later that I discovered that the then government intended to set up the Special Hospitals Service Authority, and introduce into the three special hospitals general management which had been in place in the NHS since the early 1980s. I applied for the post, was successful and started my role a general manager at Broadmoor Hospital in the summer of 1989.
(page 34 and 35)

whereto : just a minor point really, but Auberon Waugh was never the editor of Private Eye, of that I'm almost sure.

quite correct - he left when Hislop took over editorship, but had not been editor, just Diary writer. hadn't heard of the guy until yesterday. will edit post accordingly, cheers.

I would hope that if any journalist is looking for that angle on the story they will find the stuff themselves, searching Hansard didn't take much imagination.

But:

• do they have time? and
  • do they know how to do a decent search?
Find someone who's following closely and forward: let them know you want a "tip fee" :)

This was posted in another thread today -- apologies if the link has already been posted on this one.

This Guardian interview with Savile, back in 2000 (by Simon Hattenstone) is pretty bloody revealing! :eek: At least in retrospect ...

I think that interview is regarding a Louis Theroux documentary on Savile that I was just watching on YouTube

Seems the Guardian writer may have missed a point - the biscuit sat on the shelf in the fridge, wrapped in clingfilm, wasn't really evidence of Savile leading a spartan existance. From 2.44 Savile himself says it's "special" and is "for a party". So what's special about the biscuit, you have to wonder?

Later, from about 11.40, Savile's friend, who says he's invited wherever Savile is invited, turns up. He's apparently called Jim the Pill. Savile claims he used to be a chemist and that's the reason for the nickname.

I think Theroux might have thought they were homosexual partners - when they say they visit the captain's quarters on their cruise ship trips, he jokingly asks is it at night. But he may not have known that on a cruise years ago Savile was apparently confined to quarters and then ejected after the parents of a 14 year old girl complained to the captain that he had attacked her...

which says "THE latest brainwave to come from the Thatcher-Mount-Jimmy Savile junta is for a wage of £15 a week to be paid to children in state schools so that they will stay there after the age of 16. An extra couple of years will qualify them better for a ..."

and which came came to fruition with N/L's EMA, now sadly gone..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom