Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The ongoing stupidity of Home Secretary Priti Patel

Why has he settled at this point - £340K is two years 3 months salary for him plus he has no legal costs....so its about money not principle then!!!

Why has he settled at this point - £340K is two years 3 months salary for him plus he has no legal costs....so its about money not principle then!!!

That amount is tax free, so double your timescale, if it is correct. Plus he still gets his pension, which I am led to believe is a bit more shiney than my nan’s was...

Last edited:
:D :facepalm:

EvptDH9WgAIrg5y

Radio 4 PM program just said sources close to Philip Rutnam are saying the payment is £340,000 plus legal costs.
Channel 4 News said the total payout will be £370,000 including £30,000 in legal costs.

Last edited:

Establishment stalwart gives establishment chance to bury scandal for money shock

I am really not sure that a tribunal finding would have been any more damaging than the Government paying out a fairly hefty settlement. As others have pointed out, if this had gone to tribunal, and the government had been found against, the outcome would have been considerably less financially adverse...so clearly it was worth the several hundred thousand pounds to them not to have the specifics aired, and clearly they thought that the chances of prevailing at tribunal were not good. I cannot see any other reason why the most confrontational department in a hideously entitled government would have paid out a penny if they thought there was any way of getting out of it.

So we can quite reasonably take it from this settlement - regardless of the Government's pathetic attempt at spin - to be a vindication of the claims that Patel was bullying staff.

And there it stops. Because we simply don't have a mechanism that allows a government so shameless in its efforts to avoid accountability to be held to account. Even the voters don't get a look-in for another 4 years, and from past experience, it doesn't appear that even they are particularly interested in calling out this kind of behaviour, let alone the corruption and ineptitude that has characterised the other aspects of the Government's behaviour.

I despair.

I keep seeing this thread title and thinking 'She's not stupid, she's mean and nasty'. Don't think she would have got to where she is by being stupid.
when I was little I thought politicians must have some special qualities which set them apart from the mass of people. But as I get aulder I know that what sets them apart are their colossal egos and colossal stupidity.

Back
Top Bottom