Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Home Office and UK government policy concerning asylum seekers/Rwanda deportations

The above tweet which you haven't actually commented on is completely inexcusable,
The tweet was about the business model of the people smugglers. I offered a valid alternative of destroying their business model.

What I do find distasteful is resorting to insults aimed at those who have a different ideology than your own.
Let's use our persuasive argument to convince people, not resort to insults.

The tweet was about the business model of the people smugglers. I offered a valid alternative of destroying their business model.

What I do find distasteful is resorting to insults aimed at those who have a different ideology than your own.
Yeah, but...

A lot of this isn't 'ideology' as I understand it. Just cruelty. Performative cruelty. It's ok to attack that.

Sometimes, prejudice can't be countered by persuasive argument.

No it was about more than that and many people have offered the solution you have suggested before you presented it here. Moreover that solution would as you have rightly suggested close down their operations overnight. But rather than do the right thing we have the following: The tweet seemed to me at least to display the venal paucity in the imagination of the vermin, reducing all to a business model the subtext of which is that he seems to show sympathy for the enterprise whilst offering a non-solution of deporting arrivals on day one of their arrival.

Yeah, but...

A lot of this isn't 'ideology' as I understand it. Just cruelty. Performative cruelty. It's ok to attack that.
For sure, some ideology is cruel, but it's still ideology, especially if it is relevant to a political or economic policy, even if we consider it cruel or perverted.

Sometimes, prejudice can't be countered by persuasive argument.
I agree. For some prejudice is taught from a young age, by parents and peers. Some of those 'radicalised' bigots can't comprehend the origin of their bigotry. But surley the MO ought to be education, not insult or abuse. I thought such MO's of corrective behaviour had gone out of fashion.

Last edited:
Wasn’t sure where to put this. But just looking at the headlines this morning and seeing Labour being “tough” on immigration. All this language has an effect, and it’s not a good one.

Labour really are going for it, though. What with Starmer going on about “stiffer sentences for protesters”, this talk about Britain not being a “soft touch for immigrants”, and of course his appalling comment “I think we’re recruiting too many people from overseas into the health service.” They know what they’re doing, and it’s dangerous and cynical.

But:

But the Lord Chief Justice agreed with the High Court's decision that Rwanda is a safe third country.

ffs, who are these fuckers?

• Angry
Reactions: Ax^
On Question Time in Exeter yesterday, where the audience was selected to reflect how people voted in the last GE in England and therefore more Tory voters than any other party, when asked if they supported the Rwanda policy, not a single hand went up.

On Question Time in Exeter yesterday, where the audience was selected to reflect how people voted in the last GE in England and therefore more Tory voters than any other party, when asked if they supported the Rwanda policy, not a single hand went up.
Shy racists, and why, in the age of such regularly updated poll-of-poll trackers, do they fix the audience based on the Dec 2019 GE share of the vote?

Shy racists,

Could be, but you would expect at least some would put their hands up, maybe a lot of people have dropped support for it because the cost of it per person that has recently been released.

A Home Office economic assessment released Monday night revealed that the Rwanda plan — which was announced in spring 2022 but is yet to see a single flight take off amid legal challenge — will cost an estimated £169,000 per migrant.

According to the government department’s own figures, it will cost an estimated £63,000 more to relocate an asylum seeker than it would to keep them in the U.K.

and why, in the age of such regularly updated poll-of-poll trackers, do they fix the audience based on the Dec 2019 GE share of the vote?

Looks like I was wrong on that, it include both voting history AND intention.

Audience members are selected by the 'audience producer' based on age, gender, occupation, ethnicity, disability status, voting intention, voting history, and party membership. LINK

This plan is probably dead now, If they lose at the Supreme Court then they will have to redraft the legislation and start all over again. We're realistically only a year away from a GE so expect lots of talk of re-elect us and we will "Stop The Boats" but I stand by my original prediction that the total number sent to Rwanda will be a very round one as in 0. They've basically spent £140m on an election advert.

Could be, but you would expect at least some would put their hands up, maybe a lot of people have dropped support for it because the cost of it per person that has recently been released.

Looks like I was wrong on that, it include both voting history AND intention.
Thanks for that, but that guff about history/intention almost certainly still is used to enable them to try to create the 44% C, 32% L, 12% LD, 22% 'Other'/non etc. balance; hence why Bruce has taken to saying there are more supporters of the vermin than for any other party.

This plan is probably dead now, If they lose at the Supreme Court then they will have to redraft the legislation and start all over again. We're realistically only a year away from a GE so expect lots of talk of re-elect us and we will "Stop The Boats" but I stand by my original prediction that the total number sent to Rwanda will be a very round one as in 0. They've basically spent £140m on an election advert.

it odd it 140m on an election advert for braverman not sunak...

come out like the brave women who want to stop immigration but the woke lefties would not let her

already accepted defeat in the new one maybe :hmm:

Big if, though, surely?

The judgement wasn't unanimous anyway. Either way she gets to stoke culture war coal; win or lose. How long before the right wing press resurrect their 'Enemy of the state' headline in response? Haven't seen today's Mail but surely

Back
Top Bottom