Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Gavin Williamson hatred thread

I saw that. And clearly he's an extremely nasty piece of work but have none of them seen House of Cards? I mean I thought that's what Chief Whips do -- keep all kinds of nasty titbits about MPs secret and use them as leverage when necessary. Not quite sure why they're all suddenly so 'shocked' by the whole thing. :confused: (Know he's not a whip now but he was for some of this. stuff)
I think the difference has been that most whips, when no longer the whip, stop whipping. He’s never stopped, even down to having that photo taken with an actual whip on his desk. He’s basically been holding the government to ransom for years, which is astonishing. My only hope is that they’ve been planning how to deal with him for some time, and have been inviting him to regular goat wanking parties. With photographers. Otherwise now he’s out he might well start leaking more of what he knows. More likely though they’ve bought him off with the promise of a peerage.

Of course, none of this would be a problem if MPs didn’t keep doing so much stuff that needs keeping secret. But yeah…

I didn’t know there was a difference :D What’s he after a castle and stuff? ;)
Yep, knight is just a title and (I think) a coat of arms and motto. Peerage is lord or lady and gives you a seat in the House of Lords and ability to debate and vote on legislation and so forth. Plus around £300/day just for going into the house and signing in, before buggering off to do your job. Often as a paid lobbyist. Plus incredibly lovely and incredibly subsidised bars and restaurants in central London.

Having a knighthood and a peerage does happen tho. A mate’s dad was a lord, a professor and a knight. Can never remember if he was ‘Lord Professor Sir’ or ‘Lord Sir Professor’.

It's perhaps a question of degree. There's a difference between 'look, I know you slept off your hangover in the disabled loo, so I'd like some cooperation on one of my projects' and 'go and slit your own throat'.

For me the first is worse. It means that people can be blackmailed, and blackmail is acceptable. Telling someone to slit their throat, while unpleasant, is on a par with telling Russia to go away and shut up -- it's just embarrassingly childish. How did a joker like Williamson get as far as he did?

He sees himself as Francis Urquhart?

He shouldn’t even make an audition for the role in a local am-dram production of House of Cards, when the character is kitted out with a watch & chain, spats & a strangely moth-eaten fake moustache.

A classic resignation, not admitting anything and claiming he is going because he was becoming a distraction 🤣🤔
I’ve always loved the idea of ‘I refute’ as refuting is disproving, generally with evidence, but a refutation in politics never comes with evidence, or even conclusive disproof. So it’s been for a very long time a way of sounding like you deny something you definitely did do without technically lying, because you’re not denying it, you’re refuting without providing evidence or proven conclusion, which is to a degree an oxymoron.

What made his resignation extra special though was ‘refuting the characterisation of’ the claims. Just refute, don’t add an extra layer of obfuscation to the already nonsensical. He’s basically saying he did it, but has to over compensate to the degree that he makes it worse.

The man really wasn’t very good was he. Seems like a lot of his career was just built around getting gossip on people then exploiting it. I guess that’s what people think politics is these days, when that’s not politics, it’s just power.

For me the first is worse. It means that people can be blackmailed, and blackmail is acceptable. Telling someone to slit their throat, while unpleasant, is on a par with telling Russia to go away and shut up -- it's just embarrassingly childish. How did a joker like Williamson get as far as he did?
In a work environment with the power imbalance, telling someone to slit their throat is bullying and abuse and borderline sackable surely.

He sees himself as Francis Urquhart?

He shouldn’t even make an audition for the role in a local am-dram production of House of Cards, when the character is kitted out with a watch & chain, spats & a strangely moth-eaten fake moustache.

More like Tim Stamper, although nobody has had him blown up yet.

images

Back
Top Bottom