Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The *FULL* cooked breakfast thread - back me up

In Israel they do this thing called Shakshuka, otherwise known as Kibbutz Breakfast (though Turkish friends of mine have told me about the same thing from Turkey, so it's clearly a regional thing rather than specifically a kibbutz thing)

Anyway, how I learned to make it (it's one of those meals that everyone does a bit differently)...

Fry slowly in olive oil (in this order) ... onions, garlic, red peppers, chillis to taste, and tomatoes, plus a decent slosh of lemon juice. Cook it slowly to a mush. Then break eggs on top, put on a lid and leave the eggs to cook (yolks will go on cooking as long as they're on top of the food, so the longer, the less runny). Then scoop out one egg each with a decent serving of the shakshuka, and eat it on a nice doorstep of fresh bread. Hopefully make enough for a second go :thumbs:

It's absolutely the best hangover cure I've ever had, too.
This is the one. In Meera Sodha's 'East' she has a recipe called sunhouse chilli eggs which is similar. So so good!!

Raging hangover and chopped up the remains of the pastrami I smoked last weekend, cooked it with some noodles and Pho stock cube and chilli flakes.

Punched well above it's weight in how little effort it was. Which is good as I clearly shouldnt drive this morning to get bacon.

Dual sausages as is right and proper

It's certainly something I could get behind. It's pretty rare to find lorne sausage near me and when I do it's normally frozen and quite fatty. Nothing wrong with that as such as such, but this beef stuff was different and really good. Black pudding was different as well, also not in a bad way.

I'll spare the thread more pictures, but the breakfast pack is such a great concept. Anyway I was stocking up earlier and I found one with fruit pudding. I've never had fruit pudding, but it lives in my memory as something my dad used to describe that his Glaswegian flat mate would fry up in lard as part of a breakfast on a weekend. I don't have any lard and not sure I fancy frying that much cheap meat anyway, but it will be grilled as part of my breakfast tomorrow before we walk round a loch.

Reactions: Ax^
IMG_20240921_101617.jpg

Malmaison. We got a £12 cocktail each last night for booking their breakfast this morning. Bean to cup coffee, full range of continental buffet and then this. The way they've arranged it makes it look smaller than it actually was which was a full plate. Great quality. I could have had black pudding too but didn't fancy it. So taking the cocktails into account £13 each.

Back
Top Bottom