Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Dominic Cummings file

No, they were examples. Any reasonable excuse is sufficient. I started a thread about the technicalities of the law in the COVID forum way back but no one seemed interested.
This has fuck all to do with legal technicalities. He can afford the seventy quid. He's put his reputation on the line for the sake of one unelected advisor, sending parts of his own party and the establishment into open revolt. They'll probably both still be there in three months but they've damaged themselves immeasurably. It's astounding and there's an outside chance the government could fall over it.

Also whether what he did was legal or illegal in terms of the letter of the law has absolutely no bearing on whether he should remain in post. He has stuck 2 fingers up at everyone who has done the right thing and struggled through this.

You know what, whoever it was who posted on the official civil service twitter their disgust about this didn't break any laws but someone is probably writing up his Gross Misconduct letter and sorting out his p45 as we speak, yet that cunt Cummings still has a fucking job, it's outrageous.

exactly. if you only defence to fall back on in "my actions were technically not illegal" you've already lost the argument. you're not defending th substance of what you've done.

This has fuck all to do with legal technicalities. He can afford the seventy quid. He's put his reputation on the line for the sake of one unelected advisor, sending parts of his own party and the establishment into open revolt. They'll probably both still be there in three months but they've damaged themselves immeasurably. It's astounding and there's an outside chance the government could fall over it.
Exactly. It's good to remember this and be sure to enjoy the spectacle.

Starmer has done well to keep quiet about it, I think. It would be rude to interrupt.

Reicher's colleague John Drury, who is also on the advisory group, and who some here may remember, is retweeting him
CfCG9kk.png
Someone who is not unknown to many of this parish :D

so he wants the meedya to focus on his autistic son instead?
It's not Cummings it's the people making excuses for him, whether his son is autistic is completely irrevelant to the issue of what Cummings did. It's a distraction to get the focus of conversation off Cummings himself, it doesn't matter where it goes so long as it goes somewhere different from where it should be.

My dog would do the job for a couple of Bonios.

[Sebastion the Afghan] sat down in the middle of the room and started methodically licking his bum.
... I said, ‘Cor, I wish I could do that.’
... But you always know when you’ve said the wrong thing.
Thankfully, it was Davina’s mum who let me off the hook. ... ‘If you give him a biscuit, he’ll let you.’

Jasper Carrot

It's not Cummings it's the people making excuses for him, whether his son is autistic is completely irrevelant to the issue of what Cummings did. It's a distraction to get the focus of conversation off Cummings himself, it doesn't matter where it goes so long as it goes somewhere different from where it should be.

indeed, its a defence of exactly the same sort as "his grandad was black" was a defence in the Suarez - Evra racism.

exactly. if you only defence to fall back on in "my actions were technically not illegal" you've already lost the argument. you're not defending th substance of what you've done.
"Not technically illegal" is misleading anyway. If you think the trip to Durham and the excursion to Barnard Castle were reasonable, then that means there's an argument that the criminal law wasn't breached. But the guidance sent to everyone in the post also had the force of law, just not criminal law.

For most people most of the time, breaking the law but not the criminal law is effectively the same as not breaking the law. But not in this case.

I know what it is. I'm just trying to weigh up if they would be so scummy as to use it as a get out.

“We need some true wild cards, artists, people who never went to university and fought their way out of an appalling hell hole, weirdos from William Gibson novels like that girl hired by Bigend as a brand ‘diviner’ who feels sick at the sight of Tommy Hilfiger or that Chinese-Cuban free runner from a crime family hired by the KGB.“If you want to figure out what characters around Putin might do, or how international criminal gangs might exploit holes in our border security, you don’t want more Oxbridge English graduates who chat about [French psychoanalyst Jacques] Lacan at dinner parties with TV producers and spread fake news about fake news

I'd normally be up for some placard waving protest of some sort, but I am not going to make a hypocrite of myself by breaking social distancing guidelines - can we not have a doorstep protest tomorrow night, like an angry version of the clap for carers shite?

EDIT: I just feel incensed and upset and want to make some fucking physical manifestation of that other than going really sweary on Urban

I'd normally be up for some placard waving protest of some sort, but I am not going to make a hypocrite of myself by breaking social distancing guidelines - can we not have a doorstep protest tomorrow night, like an angry version of the clap for carers shite?

EDIT: I just feel incensed and upset and want to make some fucking physical manifestation of that other than going really sweary on Urban

A slow sarcastic clap

Back
Top Bottom