Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Dominic Cummings file

Why? Government advice is that it's ok to travel any distance to exercise, sunbathe etc as long as you maintain social distancing guidelines. Can't really blame people who've only been to their local park for two months for acting within government guidelines.
Why can't I blame them? I'm not going anywhere like this because the advice says avoid crowds.

All these people aren't really socially distancing the hell out of this scene, are they? This is not better than being outside somewhere much less busy?

durdledoor.jpg

Why? Government advice is that it's ok to travel any distance to exercise, sunbathe etc as long as you maintain social distancing guidelines. Can't really blame people who've only been to their local park for two months for acting within government guidelines.
admittedly it'd be disappointing if you traveled all the way to the beach then saw that it was too full already to possibly maintain adherence to government guidance on social distancing & avoiding crowds. but that doesn't mean the caveat doesn't exist anymore.
can blame them for not turning around and going elsewhere. or just home.

Why can't I blame them? I'm not going anywhere like this because the advice says avoid crowds.

All these people aren't really socially distancing the hell out of this scene, are they? This is not better than being outside somewhere much less busy?

View attachment 215480

It's quite difficult to judge from this distance tbh, but there's probably around 2m between each group.

On youtube there's videos of people jumping off that rock (and sometimes being severely injured) going back years, seems to be a proper maniac magnet...

Reactions: tim

View attachment 215480
There seem to be gaps between groups of people if you zoom in. Hard to judge distance because of the odd angle. And it's not exactly an enclosed space, is it. I'm worried about the buses filling up, and I worry about the kids supposedly going back tomorrow spreading it around but not particularly worried about a couple of hundred people who have been shut in for months enjoying a sunny beach. If they all started spitting at each other or an orgy broke out I might worry but they seem to be following current advice.

The central falsehood in all this is that Cummings is a genius at divining public mood. He persuaded a lot of stupid people to believe stupid things - people who had never involved themselves in politics - and that was enough to give them a wafer-thin majority in the referendum. But coming up with this single wheeze doesn't translate to mainstream politics. In a curious way, he's the same as Jeremy Corbyn - effective when protesting against the status quo on a single issue - whipping up popular support for unhappy people - but hopeless when constructing a workable alternative. Ironic then that it was Corbyn who did as much as Cummings to get Johnson in.

It's quite difficult to judge from this distance tbh, but there's probably around 2m between each group.
There are going to be bottlenecks though ... but the UV factor of 8, plus a breeze probably minimised risks ...

For myself I have always struggled with why people want to spend their time in such close proximity to others when doubtless there are other places - though Chesil beach is probably somewhat risky for swimming ...

There seem to be gaps between groups of people if you zoom in. Hard to judge distance because of the odd angle. And it's not exactly an enclosed space, is it. I'm worried about the buses filling up, and I worry about the kids supposedly going back tomorrow spreading it around but not particularly worried about a couple of hundred people who have been shut in for months enjoying a sunny beach. If they all started spitting at each other or an orgy broke out I might worry but they seem to be following current advice.

Once the air ambulances turned up there certainly wasn’t two meters between people...

There are going to be bottlenecks though ... but the UV factor of 8, plus a breeze probably minimised risks ...

For myself I have always struggled with why people want to spend their time in such close proximity to others when doubtless there are other places - though Chesil beach is probably somewhat risky for swimming ...
I guess when they set off they didn't imagine it'd be so crowded. I've been to the beach in the southwest on a sunny day, you always set off hopeful...

I know I keep plugging the show, but Bondi Rescue is an eye-opener in terms of human behaviour (straight off the coach and into a well-signposted rip, fully-clothed and unable to float or swim)

... But this beach had perfect swimming conditions and three idiots (and the ones encouraging them) still managed to cause carnage - with massive knock-on effects for many given the circumstances.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom