Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Dominic Cummings file

You made me rewind it. :mad:

It was Chris Mason, a political correspondent for BBC News.

Afterwards:

Presenter: You're a brave man, Chris Mason, I am not sure that was in the style guide.

Mason: That'l be the last chat we ever have on the telly. [completely cracking-up]

Presenter: Maybe, its been nice knowing you Chris Mason. [laughing]
Who was the newsreader ?
Sounds like a mcoyism.( Too late in the day for him though)
Don't bother if you have to rewind :D

Who was the newsreader ?
Sounds like a mcoyism.( Too late in the day for him though)
Don't bother if you have to rewind :D

I can't rewind it again, I wasn't recording it & I've switched channels, the Freesat box only allows you to pause & rewind the live channel you are actually watching.

But, no, it wasn't McCoy.

The computer programs that they built to harvest the Facebook data

"The tooling used is so powerful it is classified as a weapon and has to be reported to numerous services such as MI5, MI6 and GCHQ if deployed from the UK against another country, but because it was deployed from the UK against UK citizens, it didn't have to be."

Absolutely nothing makes sense about this story. A few questions.

"Powerful" according to what metric?
"Classified as a weapon" by who?
What do 'they' (whoeover 'they' are) define as a weapon?
What is this strange system where private companies are able to attack foreign countries by getting permission from MI5?

Sorry, but this seems like utter bollocks written by someone who has no idea how software is written.

I have no idea, but if I could build software that could tell me everything about you, and then influence you by making adverts (real or fake) to influence your decision then its a weapon of sorts.

It's just advertising but ramped up I guess

"The tooling used is so powerful it is classified as a weapon and has to be reported to numerous services such as MI5, MI6 and GCHQ if deployed from the UK against another country, but because it was deployed from the UK against UK citizens, it didn't have to be."

Absolutely nothing makes sense about this story. A few questions.

"Powerful" according to what metric?
"Classified as a weapon" by who?
What do 'they' (whoeover 'they' are) define as a weapon?
What is this strange system where private companies are able to attack foreign countries by getting permission from MI5?

Sorry, but this seems like utter bollocks written by someone who has no idea how software is written.

It’s utter bollocks, just his hype. If they could do what they claimed they wouldn’t have limited it to a very narrow Brexit victory, they would be the world’s biggest advertising gurus. But no, every time we go online we are instead subjected to ads for crap we looked at and dismissed yesterday.

Last edited:
so the other day a few pages back , i posted that I got a generic email from my MP, didnt post it though although did post my shitty reply.

Well I got a reply to that from a different aide, which is word for word the same email that I was replying to.

Thank you for your email regarding Dominic Cummings, Sir Paul has asked me to pass along his statement on this issue:
Statement on Dominic Cummings
Thank you for having taken the time to email and write to me on this issue. I can assure you that I very much understand the strong feelings this incident has created and have conveyed those feelings up through the appropriate channels. I hope you will agree it is very important to hear both sides of the story before passing judgement. Too often in politics people have been hounded and pressed into resigning on pretences that later turned out to be either trumped up or outright false. We have now heard from Mr Cummings directly.

When Mr Cummings says that he did what he did with a view towards protecting his four-year-old son, I believe him. He was clearly deeply concerned that, should he be struck down with COVID-19, there would be no one on hand to care for his child – his wife already having fallen sick. His actions are consistent with a parent who had those worries and I do not doubt his sincerity on that point.

With that said, there are other realities here which I cannot ignore. I know from the many conversations and from emails I have had with constituents over the last couple of months how much of a toll the lockdown has taken on all of us. Families have been split up for months on end, relatives and friends have died alone and been buried unmourned, businesses have gone under after being forced to close – and yes – parents have agonised over how to protect their children when the virus has already entered the household. As a parent and grandparent myself I am particularly aware of these dilemmas. Crucially though, despite the uniquely challenging nature of these situations, most of us, including my dispersed family and my team members, stuck strictly to the lockdown rules put in place by the Government, even when doing so came at great personal cost. With this collective sacrifice we have purchased a sharp decline in the number of new cases, hospitalisations and deaths. It is an effort of which we can all be justifiably proud.

Mr Cummings, however well-intentioned his motives may have been, declined to follow the commendable lead shown by so many of my constituents. He made clear mistakes both in terms of breaking the lockdown rules themselves, which I believe were perfectly clear, but also in the sense that he committed actions which he, as a senior member of the Downing Street apparatus, knew had the potential to undermine the Government’s public health message. Indeed, the unprecedented effort Ministers, civil servants and advisors have put in to dealing with this crisis is at this very moment being overshadowed and badly undermined by the mere fact that we are discussing this story.

Clearly Mr Cummings has made serious errors of judgement. However, it is also very much the case that he is not the only senior political figure to have demonstrably broken the lockdown rules – several Labour politicians and at least one SNP MP have been shown to have committed breaches of their own. I did not call for their sackings when this information came to light and I am not doing so in the case of Mr Cummings. I believe this is an even handed and fair stance. We are all ultimately capable of making mistakes, perhaps even more so when the wellbeing of our children is in question.

The Prime Minister has indicated that he values Mr Cumming’s services and so he will remain in post. I accept this position and will continue to support the Government as we work towards pushing the R factor down even further so that the nation can carefully move out of lockdown and our collective political efforts can move on to implementing the transformative manifesto commitments which the country backed so enthusiastically on 13th December 2019.

My reply:

Thank you for your cut and paste generic email and statement ( I received the same from Annie the other day)
It’s not good enough

Your whataboutery is pathetic, I agree that any MP who broke the rules should be held accountable, but Im not talking about them Im talking about an unelected advisor and your deflection is quite frankly disgusting.

This will not be let go, Boris Johnson and his senior cabinet will not be forgiven for this, it transcends political parties and Brexit.

This is the people of the land being spat in the face by the Conservative party.

You are coming down on the wrong side of history and it will never be forgotten.

There was a fleeting moment last week when Boris Johnson’s team felt as if it had time-travelled to Theresa May’s government — when a prime minister’s every action set leadership rivals plotting. As Johnson’s support for his senior aide Dominic Cummings — who had fled London during lockdown with his wife and child — caused the prime minister’s standing to plummet in the polls, word reached the whips that Jeremy Hunt, who lost the contest for Conservative leader last July, was phoning MPs.

“Hunt was calling around backbenchers asking what they thought,” a Tory adviser said. “He was saying, ‘I’m considering what I’m going to say.’ The perception from backbenchers was that this had leadership connotations. Hunt and others were using this to get in with people.”

Hunt says he is “done with” such ambitions, only spoke to members of the health select committee he chairs and points out that he publicly said Cummings should not resign.

In a WhatsApp message to her Blue Collar Conservatism group, the former cabinet minister Esther McVey — another leadership hopeful last year — was also counselling opinion. “I’m anxious to hear (in private) what people think about the Dominic Cummings situation and whether or not he needs to resign to protect the PM and the party,” she wrote, adding: “I would appreciate people not reply on here as it may leak.” In the time-honoured tradition, it then did so.

This weekend Johnson’s team is wondering not whether Cummings is going, but what the effects of his staying will be.

The affair was revealing: of the way Johnson’s top team does its business — with an unbridled aggression that can be self-defeating — and the reliance a highly centralised administration has on Cummings himself.

It also flushed out the degree to which a below-par Johnson is still leaning on others after his personal brush with the coronavirus. Yet the episode concealed just as much. The conventional wisdom has it that Johnson did not recognise what his aide had done wrong, was unconcerned by his behaviour and did not realise the depth of public disquiet about his support for Cummings.

Conversations with more than a dozen ministers, officials, aides and allies of the prime minister make clear that in every regard this is wrong. Johnson was personally furious and knew he was taking a huge risk.

The question now is whether this was a pragmatic act of self-preservation or the moment the prime minister forfeited public trust and sowed the seeds of his own destruction.

Cabinet ministers believe the “Domnishambles” was caused as much by the cover-up as the original offence. When Downing Street was contacted on May 22 by The Guardian and the Daily Mirror, which were set to reveal that Cummings had fled to his parents’ home in Durham at the height of the lockdown, Cummings’s instinct was to ignore the story.

“He refused to comment and banned anyone else from commenting,” said one source. “His attitude was that this was a non-story, it’s left-wing papers and they can go f*** themselves. It was a five-day lesson in crisis mismanagement.”

The following day Downing Street issued a statement saying Cummings had gone north when his wife fell ill with coronavirus symptoms because he needed help to care for their four-year-old son. Grant Shapps, the transport secretary, was sent out to say that once in Durham, Cummings had remained locked down.

Behind the scenes, Mark Spencer, the chief whip, and Ben Gascoigne, Johnson’s personal aide, contacted cabinet ministers asking them to tweet their support. Those in Johnson’s Covid-19 “quad” did so. Of the others, one said: “Dom has never been interested in my view. Why would he care if I’m backing him now?”

Even Cummings’s fans say he has never bothered to woo MPs. Andrew Bridgen, who defended him on television last week, observed: “They say if you want a friend in politics, get a dog — well, Cummings would kick the dog as well.”

Those further down the ladder received messages in which stick was more prominent than carrot. “The whips were saying you will have no future unless you get out there and back him,” said one MP.

The whips had rivals, however, with enemies of Cummings accused of seeking to drum up support for MPs to break cover and say he should resign. Penny Mordaunt, a Cabinet Office minister, has been dubbed “Poison Pen” for telling her constituents there were “inconsistencies” in Cummings’s account. Helen Whately, the care minister, and Alicia Kearns, a newly elected MP, are also suspected of disloyalty.

When it emerged last weekend that Cummings had taken a day trip to Barnard Castle in Co Durham, the initial defence was in tatters. Johnson, friends say, was angry with his most important aide but, like Cummings, never felt he should go.

“He understood what Dom did was wrong — both the original offence and the comms [communications] that followed it,” said one ally.

A Whitehall source added: “His view was, ‘I am buggered if I am going to be forced into firing an aide,’ but that doesn’t mean he is well disposed towards Dom. He’s extremely pissed off with him because he scooted off [to Durham] without telling him. Boris himself didn’t choose to decamp to Chequers when he was sick, which he could have done.”

One who knows Johnson well said: “I think at the root of all this is libertarianism.” The source added: “He doesn’t actually believe in locking everyone down. He knows he needs to, but he understands why people might transgress and he can’t bring himself to criticise it.”

Johnson also shared with Cummings a key world view. “They’re not two peas in a pod but where they do meet is on the idea of apologies,” a Tory source said. “Boris has always been clear that he doesn’t ever say sorry.”

Last Sunday morning Johnson called in Cummings and made him give a full account of his movements. He and his closest aides, including Lee Cain, the communications director, held a crisis meeting and agreed that Johnson should try to draw a line under the affair. “The idea was that he would make clear that he was satisfied with Dom’s account and try to shut it down,” said one insider.

But after being pounded with questions at a press conference on Sunday afternoon, Johnson had failed. “Boris took one for the team,” an official added. “After that press conference he came out and said that he had had his arse whipped live on national television and told Dom he would have to do the same.”

To make matters worse, several aides say Sir Patrick Vallance, the chief scientific adviser, and Chris Whitty, the chief medical officer, had refused to back him up publicly. “Whitty and Vallance refused to do the presser [press conference],” one ministerial aide said.

Ministers were also in revolt. “The cabinet moved in and said, ‘He has got to apologise, he has got to do something,’” a senior Tory said.

The decision that Cummings should make his own public appearance was confirmed at another crisis meeting on Monday morning. Cummings agreed, admitting the public reaction was worse than he had expected. “It has cut through,” he said.

But even Cummings’s allies could not persuade him to apologise. In the No 10 rose garden that afternoon, he said: “I don’t regret what I did.”

“He wouldn’t say sorry,” a source familiar with the discussions said. “The expectation in Downing Street was that the word ‘sorry’ would pass his lips for failing to clear things up earlier. But he wouldn’t do it and there was no one who could make him do it.”

Johnson was again in a foul mood, making clear his displeasure at having to do another press conference afterwards. “He was voicing what many people felt that we’ve all had a long couple of days,” said the source. As Johnson expressed regret for the “confusion and the anger and the pain that people feel” rather than the offence, a cabinet minister told a friend: “Why have we got the prime minister on television apologising for a special adviser. It’s insane.”

However, many ministers had concluded things had now gone too far for Johnson to ditch Cummings, “because it will all fall apart if he goes”, a senior Tory said. Priti Patel, the home secretary, was quickly in touch with the Metropolitan police commissioner, Dame Cressida Dick, when a mob turned up outside Cummings’s north London home.

One of Cummings’s Vote Leave fraternity said: “We need him. We took three years to get the gang in there. We can’t throw that away now.” When one of his acolytes was asked what would happen if Cummings shot someone dead in the street, the reply came: “It would depend whether anyone saw him do it.”

Cummings is a little “chastened” by events but now appears unsackable. He sits in whatever meetings he pleases and is blamed by cabinet ministers for killing audiences with Johnson and filtering the flow of papers and information to the prime minister.

Growing in volume is the view that Johnson needs all the help he can get because he is still far from recovered from the virus. Those who watched his halting performance in front of the Commons liaison committee on Wednesday saw a man tired, irritable and struggling with detail.

“These stories about Boris being fed up with the job are all true,” a Whitehall source said. “He really isn’t very well. Boris is simply not operating as Boris.” Ministers say Johnson has been occasionally forgetful in meetings and was initially “unsighted” on aspects of the government’s quarantine policy.

The shock of the Cummings affair for MPs and ministers is that two populists who appeared to have an almost mystical understanding of the public mood seem to have misjudged voter fury at the “do as we say, not as we do” approach to lockdown. Some MPs received more than 1,500 emails of complaint. “I have never known anything that cuts through like this in my life,” a former No 10 aide said.

By Friday the atmosphere was so febrile MPs were sharing rumours in their WhatsApp groups that Dominic Raab, the foreign secretary, had punched Cummings in a fight broken up by Michael Gove, a claim variously dismissed as “not true”, “complete invention” and “total bollocks” by senior figures.

A veteran backbencher said: “The problem is that there are 109 new MPs who have not been under fire before. Steady in the ranks!”

Johnson will respond this week to the criticism that too many ministers have been excluded from key decisions by setting up a new Covid-19 war cabinet modelled on the two Brexit cabinet committees.

The quad of senior ministers — Gove, Raab, Matt Hancock and Rishi Sunak — will be bolstered by Alok Sharma, the business secretary, and Patel on the coronavirus strategy committee, also a response to criticism that there were no women at the top table. Gove will chair a second, “operations” committee, just as he does on preparations for a no-deal Brexit.

Most believe Cummings will at least remain long enough to ensure Britain does not seek an extension of the transition phase past December 31. But some Tories fear Johnson has been materially damaged by his defence of Cummings, coupled with lingering doubts about the government’s handling of the virus and the threat of a catastrophic recession.

“I feel like we are living through a prolonged Black Wednesday and we are now in the John Major premiership,” said one senior Tory. “The chances of Boris leading us into the next election have fallen massively.”

Perhaps Hunt and McVey should keep their phones on.

Last edited:

Not sure if true but would be pleasing if so.
Nice work from the researcher - if it has been there over 4 years then he would get permitted lawful development and therefore retrospective planning I would have thought. Sadly. But maybe an uplift in the council tax.

Van Tam had better watch out for Telegraph journos going through his bins huh.

And discover that his grand-dad was a Vietnamese warlord who collaborated with the French authorities during the colonial period and was so brutal that at one stage he was gaoled by the South Vietnamese government.

All over my internet last night l got the strong impression that Britain was in the grip of widespread partying normally reserved for the end of a war.

Firstly, is this a correct impression? And secondly, how much do people think Cummings's blatant piss-take and belief-beggaring "justification" are responsible?

And secondly, how much do people think Cummings's blatant piss-take and belief-beggaring "justification" are responsible?

There's some research here, although this was before the weekend, so it has probably got worst.

In a survey of 1,201 people across the UK carried out by academics at De Montfort University Leicester (DMU), the number of people who admitted they had behaved inconsistent with the government guidance because they did not agree with it increased from 4% to 9% over the space of the last week.

All over my internet last night l got the strong impression that Britain was in the grip of widespread partying normally reserved for the end of a war.

Firstly, is this a correct impression? And secondly, how much do people think Cummings's blatant piss-take and belief-beggaring "justification" are responsible?
They had to helicopter at least one idiot out of Durdle Door yesterday - injured when cliff-diving...
My local park group on Facebook put out calls for litter-picking after yesterday's partying until late, but it was surprisingly tidy to my eye - mostly just overflowing bins - so I left what there was for the two who turned up ...

durdledoor.jpg

I guess we'll never know, without going back and re-running the whole experiment without Cummings' bullshit :D. But I think most people would probably consider that it couldn't possibly have NOT had an effect on things, even if that effect was just to unleash a lot of already-existing pent-up rulebreaking.

Cummings is a little “chastened” by events but now appears unsackable. He sits in whatever meetings he pleases and is blamed by cabinet ministers for killing audiences with Johnson and filtering the flow of papers and information to the prime minister.

Growing in volume is the view that Johnson needs all the help he can get because he is still far from recovered from the virus. Those who watched his halting performance in front of the Commons liaison committee on Wednesday saw a man tired, irritable and struggling with detail.

“These stories about Boris being fed up with the job are all true,” a Whitehall source said. “He really isn’t very well. Boris is simply not operating as Boris.” Ministers say Johnson has been occasionally forgetful in meetings and was initially “unsighted” on aspects of the government’s quarantine policy.

The shock of the Cummings affair for MPs and ministers is that two populists who appeared to have an almost mystical understanding of the public mood seem to have misjudged voter fury at the “do as we say, not as we do” approach to lockdown. Some MPs received more than 1,500 emails of complaint. “I have never known anything that cuts through like this in my life,” a former No 10 aide said.

By Friday the atmosphere was so febrile MPs were sharing rumours in their WhatsApp groups that Dominic Raab, the foreign secretary, had punched Cummings in a fight broken up by Michael Gove, a claim variously dismissed as “not true”, “complete invention” and “total bollocks” by senior figures.

A veteran backbencher said: “The problem is that there are 109 new MPs who have not been under fire before. Steady in the ranks!”

Johnson will respond this week to the criticism that too many ministers have been excluded from key decisions by setting up a new Covid-19 war cabinet modelled on the two Brexit cabinet committees.

The quad of senior ministers — Gove, Raab, Matt Hancock and Rishi Sunak — will be bolstered by Alok Sharma, the business secretary, and Patel on the coronavirus strategy committee, also a response to criticism that there were no women at the top table. Gove will chair a second, “operations” committee, just as he does on preparations for a no-deal Brexit.

Most believe Cummings will at least remain long enough to ensure Britain does not seek an extension of the transition phase past December 31. But some Tories fear Johnson has been materially damaged by his defence of Cummings, coupled with lingering doubts about the government’s handling of the virus and the threat of a catastrophic recession.

“I feel like we are living through a prolonged Black Wednesday and we are now in the John Major premiership,” said one senior Tory. “The chances of Boris leading us into the next election have fallen massively.”

Perhaps Hunt and McVey should keep their phones on.

Domnishambles :D

I think people flocking to beaches for the day have no fucking excuse no matter what a public figure has done.
Why? Government advice is that it's ok to travel any distance to exercise, sunbathe etc as long as you maintain social distancing guidelines. Can't really blame people who've only been to their local park for two months for acting within government guidelines.

By Friday the atmosphere was so febrile MPs were sharing rumours in their WhatsApp groups that Dominic Raab, the foreign secretary, had punched Cummings in a fight broken up by Michael Gove, a claim variously dismissed as “not true”, “complete invention” and “total bollocks” by senior figures

:D I'd have paid good money to see that though if Michael Gove could break it up, suspect 'fight' is overegging it a bit.

Back
Top Bottom