Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Dominic Cummings file

I know these online petitions are generally just a bit of fun, but around 650,000 have now signed it.

I'm not a Tory, so it makes little difference to me whether he's sacked or not. Actually, in some ways, it's better if he sticks around, even for just a little bit longer. It's fun watching all the in-fighting on the right - it can only do the Tories a lot of damage.

If the daily mail and it’s readership turning against this government doesn’t count as a proper disaster for them then your standards are just too high I think.
I suspect the Mail's stance in this case is guided by it's readership, rather than the other way round. Expect we'll see some new polling numbers today or tomorrow and they are going to be horrific for Cummings.

If the daily mail and it’s readership turning against this government doesn’t count as a proper disaster for them then your standards are just too high I think.
This is what the DM currently have at the top of their news page:

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 09.09.27.jpg

The DM will be included in the people now feeling like they made hasty judgements I reckon. They will quietly drop it.

I suspect the Mail's stance in this case is guided by it's readership, rather than the other way round. Expect we'll see some new polling numbers today or tomorrow and they are going to be horrific for Cummings.
Yep. Looks like they've shoved it way down their (online) front page today but the most popular comment under the cummings article there is still 'boris is weak'. I don't think he (the PM) will easily or quickly recover from the damage done in terms of his 'likeability', won't say trustworthiness because don't think people are that stupid.

Taken by wife/friend at the property to try to add to the sympathy vote of the house under siege narrative so had to flee to Durham. Prepped on the journey back from the Rose Garden. "Dom , Dom , no smirking now whilst I get the shot" + exclusive so got to be worth a few bob , maybe. Or drone or pushy pap.....

Looks like the latter.

Edit: are those metal bins to the bottom left of the video thumbnail?

Yep. Looks like they've shoved it way down their (online) front page today but the most popular comment under the cummings article there is still 'boris is weak'. I don't think he (the PM) will easily or quickly recover from the damage done in terms of his 'likeability', won't say trustworthiness because don't think people are that stupid.
They need to put some clear blue water between themselves and the Guardian/Mirror axis of evil.

that said, I think unless there's anything new, the pressure for him to go of the last few days will likely fade this week - but the damage to the government will be significant and lasting.

Woke up with the thought that the way Johnson has dealt with the Cummings scandal has equivalence with him throwing money at the restaurant owner having smashed the place up back in his Bullingdon days. Learning to be a reckless and self-entitled law unto yourself is what Bullingdon is for, its why it comes so naturally.

What's the depressing joke is the state of the left that can't do anything about it anyway, and that it's come to being fixated on this tbh.

Are the Left fixated on this? I'm not even sure what you (or even I) mean by the Left right now. The Daily Mail (and other media) are fixated on this because it's doing untold damage to the Tories and that's what they care about. People in general are fixated on this because they have a stake (and therefore shouldn't the Left be following what the people are interested in?) and have stayed in their homes while elite twats think they can do what they like. Other than that some of us on 'the Left' are enjoying the best bit of schadenfreude in years.

And besides, Starmer is talking to the banks and fund managers. Everything is going to be alright.

Think it's a gift tbh

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it as much as anyone on here. But we're powerless to do anything concrete about it. Strike? Riot? March on his house? Demand anything? All playing out in the realm of the media and discontent that can't really go anywhere. Whether he goes or stays won't really change anything.

And yeah 'fixated' wrong term to use planetgeli

Maybe I'm just feeling extra cynical this morning.

Last edited:
Everyone got a bit over excited yesterday didn't they? The government is not about to collapse and people will be bored of this story in a couple of days.
It won’t bring down the government but I reckon there’s a while to run before this is chip-wrappings. I can’t see how Cummings can stay now. He’s painted himself into an absurd corner with the eye-test thing alone, and then there’s the rest of the bollocks. He’ll be ridiculed forever and he can’t back away from it without confirming that he’s been telling massive porkies. The golden rule of public bullshitting is to ensure at least an element of plausibility no matter how preposterous the story. He fucked that completely. The smart thing would’ve been to hold his hands up and apologise, fuck off for a bit, then get sneaked back in, a la Pritti Patel, but can’t see that happening now.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it as much as anyone on here. But we're powerless to do anything concrete about it. Strike? Riot? March on his house? Demand anything? All playing out in the realm of the media and discontent that can't really go anywhere. Whether he goes or stays won't really change anything.

And yeah 'fixated' wrong term to use planetgeli it's more that it's a bit depressing this is where we find hope I think.

Keeping perspective like. Hope this rumbles on though.

Reactions: LDC
Woke up with the thought that the way Johnson has dealt with the Cummings scandal has equivalence with him throwing money at the restaurant owner having smashed the place up back in his Bullingdon days. Learning to be a reckless and self-entitled law unto yourself is what Bullingdon is for, its why it comes so naturally.
That's why they messed this up so badly, thinking that as usual there would be no consequences to their actions when in fact (i think) this time there are. That presumption is what caused them to miscalculate and treat it like a standard political scandal which you can bluff your way though when it was actually a different fish.

It won’t bring down the government but I reckon there’s a while to run before this is chip-wrappings. I can’t see how Cummings can stay now. He’s painted himself into an absurd corner with the eye-test thing alone, and then there’s the rest of the bollocks. He’ll be ridiculed forever and he can’t back away from it without confirming that he’s been telling massive porkies. The golden rule of public bullshitting is to ensure at least an element of plausibility no matter how preposterous the story. He fucked that completely. The smart thing would’ve been to hold his hands up, fuck off for a bit, then get sneaked back in, a la Pritti Patel, but can’t see that happening now.
It has an element of plausibility for me. If I've gone from "this appears totally out of order" to "meh, maybe he broke the spirit of the guidance to some extent" then probably a lot of others have as well. Last night I spoke to some friends who I expected to be in outrage about the whole thing but they had kind of changed their minds following the statement. I get that there are people angry that they've not been able to visit ill/dying family members and so on, but the wind has been taken out of those sails by the fact that he had no contact with his family up there. Of course, if new evidence appears that he did, then that could change things. The 30 mile trip doesn't seem all that significant to me - lots of people have blatantly been going out for joyrides in their cars throughout this.

Back
Top Bottom