Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Dominic Cummings file

I know these online petitions are generally just a bit of fun, but around 650,000 have now signed it.

I think the deciding factor in how long this excellent entertainment goes on for is probably how many emails conservative MPs get daily from their furious (or actually just amused but don't say so) constituents. Wrote to mine yesterday might send another , doesnt take much longer than signing a petition maybe 2 mins: WriteToThem

Brendan O'Neill's attack lines which are popping up all over social that and Johnson's "you will need to make up your own minds" crap.

The media’s Dominic Cummings story has completely collapsed. He did NOT go to Durham a second time, which was reported on the front page of the Sunday Mirror and the Observer. He did NOT have any physical contact with family members. The police did NOT talk to the Cummings family about the Covid lockdown guidelines. Cummings did NOT carry on doing things that everyone else had stopped doing — he even missed the funeral of his uncle who died from Covid. He did NOT leave his London home for leisure reasons — he left it because he was receiving death threats as a result of media demonisation. He was very ill, his wife was ill, and at one point his child was taken to hospital in an ambulance in Durham.

His family has had a really rough time and the media have told lie after lie about him. The scandal is not Cummings’ behaviour — it is the collapse of ethics and objectivity in the British media.

I think the deciding factor in how long this excellent entertainment goes on for is probably how many emails conservative MPs get daily from their furious (or actually just amused but don't say so) constituents. Wrote to mine yesterday might send another , doesnt take much longer than signing a petition maybe 2 mins: WriteToThem

Done on Sunday. Crafted one from the perspective of a Tory...apologies for the sick bag cringeworthy asides

Dear

As my MP, I am contacting you to register my disappointment at the Prime Minister's decision to retain the services of Mr Dominic Cummings.

In today's briefing, an emphasis was placed on whether Mr Cummings instincts were those of a father, encouraging the public to empathise with his child care dilemma. As a senior official in government, it is clear that there were any number of alternatives available to him, and this will be seen as sophistry.

However, whether or not Mr Cummings actions were reasonable, or conformed to the letter of lockdown, misses the point. His actions will at least be perceived by a great number of people as breaking lockdown, and as tacit authority to do likewise. This is something that should at least have been anticipated, and for this reason alone, his actions show a lack of judgement which not only undermines the efforts the public are making but any claim he might make to being a valuable advisor.

Worse, Boris Johnson's support of his colleague shows that he puts the advice Mr Cummings gives above an inevitable erosion of covid precautions. This makes him look weak, and by his extension, the government look weak, at a time when strong leadership is vital. This seems not only ill-advised but politically inept. By all means, support his friend and colleague by showing understanding (if it is, in fact, the case) why Mr Cummings acted impetuously, but then show character and vital objectivity in reiterating the importance of adhering to universal rules.

This could have been a game-changing moment for Mr Johnson - an ideal opportunity to reinforce the lockdown when it is crumbling, a chance to show he does not need Mr Cummings as a crutch, and that the Tory party is, if nothing else, a fair-minded institution that plays by the rules.

Instead, he came across as a mendacious fool that no one believes and no one takes seriously.

I urge you as a backbencher that has shown himself capable of independent thought, to join those few brave Tories prepared to voice the opinion of the vast majority of cross-party thinking on this, and by doing so, claw back some semblance of credibility for your party and our government

sincerely

Done on Sunday. Crafted one from the perspective of a Tory...apologies for the sick bag cringeworthy asides

Dear

As my MP, I am contacting you to register my disappointment at the Prime Minister's decision to retain the services of Mr Dominic Cummings.

In today's briefing, an emphasis was placed on whether Mr Cummings instincts were those of a father, encouraging the public to empathise with his child care dilemma. As a senior official in government, it is clear that there were any number of alternatives available to him, and this will be seen as sophistry.

However, whether or not Mr Cummings actions were reasonable, or conformed to the letter of lockdown, misses the point. His actions will at least be perceived by a great number of people as breaking lockdown, and as tacit authority to do likewise. This is something that should at least have been anticipated, and for this reason alone, his actions show a lack of judgement which not only undermines the efforts the public are making but any claim he might make to being a valuable advisor.

Worse, Boris Johnson's support of his colleague shows that he puts the advice Mr Cummings gives above an inevitable erosion of covid precautions. This makes him look weak, and by his extension, the government look weak, at a time when strong leadership is vital. This seems not only ill-advised but politically inept. By all means, support his friend and colleague by showing understanding (if it is, in fact, the case) why Mr Cummings acted impetuously, but then show character and vital objectivity in reiterating the importance of adhering to universal rules.

This could have been a game-changing moment for Mr Johnson - an ideal opportunity to reinforce the lockdown when it is crumbling, a chance to show he does not need Mr Cummings as a crutch, and that the Tory party is, if nothing else, a fair-minded institution that plays by the rules.

Instead, he came across as a mendacious fool that no one believes and no one takes seriously.

I urge you as a backbencher that has shown himself capable of independent thought, to join those few brave Tories prepared to voice the opinion of the vast majority of cross-party thinking on this, and by doing so, claw back some semblance of credibility for your party and our government

sincerely
This is excellent work, puts my half arsed pretence of being a wavering tory voter to shame. I will try harder.

I did yesterday, Sir Peter Bottomley - Father of the House, despite the fact that the twat came out in support of Cummings during a Radio 4 interview.

If it encourages a more critical stance towards the government that will be a lasting improvement, because God knows there's much to be critical about and there's a dearth of great communicators in the Cabinet.
As tho the prorogue lying issue, arcuri, Russian report etc etc hadn't already encouraged criticism of the government

My favourite bit is the retired teacher who, by staying alert, is responsible for the whole mad eye test road trip story having to be unleashed on the nation. And that it couldn't have happened to a more fitting character than the man who was puffed up as some sort of genius of cunning to be felled by ridicule for the utter stupidity of both his choices and his lies.

As tho the prorogue lying issue, arcuri, Russian report etc etc hadn't already encouraged criticism of the government

This has more 'cut through' to those not very interested in politics, though. Most people have followed the lockdown rules as best they can, even had to say goodbye to dying relatives via video-link and not attend their funerals, and then find out that the PM's advisor fucked off on a 260-mile road trip. Understandably a lot of people seem to be furious about that, and rightly so. That's why I don't think this story is going anywhere just yet, and the longer it hangs about the more damage to the government it will do.

This has more 'cut through' to those not very interested in politics, though. Most people have followed the lockdown rules as best they can, had to say goodbye to dying relatives via video-link and not attend their funerals, and then find out that the PM's advisor fucked off on a 260-mile road trip. Understandably a lot of people seem to be furious about that, and rightly so. That's why I don't think this story is going anywhere just yet, and the longer it hangs about the more damage to the government it will do.
I hate it when some shitty pr neologism appears and takes the place of more meaningful existing words or phrases. I also dislike it when things are explained to me like I'm a particularly recalcitrant toddler.

I hate it when some shitty pr neologism appears and takes the place of more meaningful existing words or phrases. I also dislike it when things are explained to me like I'm a particularly recalcitrant toddler.

I wasn't so much trying to explain it to you as use your post as a starting to point to highlight to others why it's not going anywhere, although admittedly I didn't go about it particularly well.

Doesn't matter what you think. It matters what 'the public' thinks. It'll fizz out and your opinion will remain as irrelevant as usual.

Every single time from now on that Johnson says "we need to pull together" or "stay at home to save the nhs" everybody will remember this and get a little bit angrier. He's completely destroyed the credibility of the govt.

To be honest i don't think that's a good thing, certainly not when public health will rely on that happening over the next months, but that's where we are. Why should i follow what they say when they clearly don't?

Back
Top Bottom