Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The big urban poll: Do you think Brexit has gone well or badly?

Do you think Brexit has gone well or badly?

• Total voters
We can (and indeed do) freely speculate on who is deluding theselves and who is lying. Nobody can point to any benefits, apart from that elusive sovereignty that doesn't seem to be doing anyone much good. Still, every site will have those who are deluded, and those who lie. Life is like that.

Can you explain why? (I've no idea what a county-wide selective education system is either)
Like Kent, Lincolnshire retained a whole county selective education system based on differentiation by IQ/Maths/English testing at 11 and, both (well East Kent) being relatively deprived with limited employment opportunities experience a 'brain drain' of graduates that never return from University. Those selected to experience the non-Grammar secondary education (often laughably called Comprehensive) have less social and geographical mobility and consequently tend to stay and seek employment in these agricultural areas that that have both previously seen high levels of accession state in-migration.

Last edited:
better than expected so far tbh
i wasnt joking btw - this is what i was expecting:
“The only way that the Brexit put forward by Boris Johnson was going to work was if there was a complete deregulation of the UK and we moved to a sort of Liz Truss utopia of a Singapore state and that was just never going to happen,” Hands, a former donor to the Conservative party, told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme.
+
Eddie Truell, a City veteran and strong Brexit supporter who set up the private equity firm Duke Street Capital and is co-founder of the Pension Insurance Corporation, expressed disappointment at the speed of deregulation in the UK’s financial services sector. “I hoped we would see faster deregulation than has been the case,” he said, also speaking on Today.

....i still expect that deregulation to happen more, slowly but surely...

=====
Benefits of Brexit thread got locked which was funny

but i put on that thread:
reform of the common agricultural policy could have huge implications for land use/especially rewilding/increasing biodiversity
---seems to be happening positively despite the best attempts of the farming lobby---

the ability of government to subsidise/nationalise via state aid laws
this has yet to be tested against the withdrawal agreement - if something was nationalised that then sold to the EU there might be some offset/trade dispute. maybe not
how much this was ever practically an issue when the UK was in the EU is disputed as it was barely ever tested, nonetheless...
----remains unproven-----

break up of the united kingdom - bit unintended, could have been avoided without all the endless Tory South East-centric governments, but looks like too late for that now
independent nations makes for better democracy and will be a sharp kick to the english establishment
---- at this point doesn't look like its made that much difference to that, but may yet do---

Am I reading this correctly ?

Trade Minister Kemi Badenoch has visited Italy ...
My theory is that they assume they can gain advantage with individual EU countries by greasing palms ?
With Italy having politics that gives them hope of that ?

Back
Top Bottom