Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The big urban poll: Do you think Brexit has gone well or badly?

Do you think Brexit has gone well or badly?

• Total voters
Go on then folks...

Why is the UK vaccine procurement scheme nothing to do with us leaving the EU? Seeing as initially anyway, no other country in the EU-27 persued this independently, but rather delegated power to the comission (at their suggestion).

And hey it's not me saying this and moaning it's people in some of the most pro EU countries in Europe like Spain and Portugal.

Go on then folks...

Why is the UK vaccine procurement scheme nothing to do with us leaving the EU?

The following will be ignored in answers to your question:

Speaking to French radio, ahead of the publication of his diaries from the Brexit negotiations between 2016 and 2020, Mr Barnier suggested the EU was slower to act as all 27 member states had to act as one.

He told France Inter: "It is true that there were mistakes at the start - why? Because we wanted to decide for 27 and not on our own.
"It is easier to decide on our own, rather than as 27, especially since we didn't have that expertise in Europe.

"This is one of the lessons to be learned. Perhaps there are issues in Europe where it will be necessary to hand over the decision-making to the country, or to the region."

This was Mrs von der Leyen's first public acceptance of criticism. Last week, she told German paper Süddeutsche Zeitung that "a country on its own can be a speedboat, the EU is more like a tanker".

Go on then folks...

Why is the UK vaccine procurement scheme nothing to do with us leaving the EU? Seeing as initially anyway, no other country in the EU-27 persued this independently, but rather delegated power to the comission (at their suggestion).

And hey it's not me saying this and moaning it's people in some of the most pro EU countries in Europe like Spain and Portugal.

It's complicated, but it's political, not really legal or structural

There is no legal requirement for the member states to cooperate on vaccines, nor for them to sub-contract their purchase and distribution to the EU - however, there was huge political pressure applied to (particularly) the northern states by the EU who saw an opportunity for 'empire growth', and from the southern states who feared being squeezed out by the larger buying power of the Northern states.

There is, I think, a very sensible logic to the idea of 'bulk buying' the bigger your order the better unit price, but crucially, you go to the front of the queue for delivery....

Now, the political issue here with a UK where the 2016 referendum had been won by Remain, is that just as Leave have (in our time line) claimed all the spoils, Remain would have swept Euroscepticism aside, and we'd have a very euro-enthusuastic political class, not just government.

So, come 2020 we've (still) got Cameron/Osborne/Hunt as PM, fresh from a referendum win - and a along comes C-19, and the EU trying to get its members to join up together to do the vaccine purchase.

Does anyone really think that in those circumstances our political body politic would have decided that 'no' was the correct answer?

If anyone is thinking 'yeah, maybe...' then I ask you to look at the #FBPE types, and try to remember when any of them have said 'yeah, I broadly support the EU, but on this I think they're wrong, and they we should - in this instance - do something different...'.

No, me neither....

I'm no fan of the capitalist EU, never have been. At the same time though I acknowledge the benefits of good international relations and trade, which includes the rest of Europe ofcourse.

I think it's been worse than fairly bad, with more negative consequences yet to come. It also seems likely that Brexit will trigger yet more austerity inflicted upon the poor.

Voted very badly...mainly cos the bollocks spoken about it from both sides keeps going on. I had hoped people would stfu about by now.

Needs at least another 5 or 10 years to properly judge imho...however I do think that the vote has given racists a boost.

(I voted stay purely cos of my fear about the racism of the loudest leavers. In most other aspects I supported the "lexit" campaign...apart from them using the name "lexit")

Could some who speaks FBPE help translate this into something comprehensible please?

My own translation reads: ‘collapsing growth and dwindling consent for the neoliberal worldview forces the elites to rethink how they maintain hegemony, erm, Chinese state capitalism is likely to overtake these models, tennis, these young migrant tennis players are excellent and the future of things, in conclusion rejoining a dying bloc which I’ve just explained is finished as a model is the way forward and solidarity with the open EU which is currently turning its back in Afghan refugees..

Last edited:
Could some who speaks FBPE help translate this into something comprehensible please?

My own translation reads: ‘collapsing growth and dwindling consent for the neoliberal worldview forces the elites to rethink how they maintain hegemony, erm, Chinese state capitalism is likely to overtake these models, tennis, these young migrant tennis players are excellent and the future of things, in conclusion rejoining a dying bloc which I’ve just explained is finished as a model is the way forward and solidarity with the open EU which is currently turning its back in Afghan refugees..

Sunday afternoon, post claret tweeting?

Better wages, more jobs. And both my lads hitting working age 👍🏻

More administrative stuff if you are a business owner trading or travelling to the EU. Seeing as very few people I know travel regularly there (Med holiday every other year maybe) or own that kind of business that has effected me/mine exactly zero.

don't you work for the NHS

better wages and a NI increase

:hmm:
I already earn 5k above the median wage, and will earn more. I’m much more concerned about my eldest (18) and his cohort who are entering the minimum wage job market right now doing apprenticeships.

we got to pay for all the money spent on friends of the tory party during covid
then work out the effects of brexit

i earn above the median wage

I'd still not trust the current government to sort out the labour shortages we are currrently face

in a way that will improved workers lives

the NI hike is just the start
None of us trust the Government whether we are in or out of the EU.

i'm not the one who said it was neiter good nor bad that we gave this government the right to choose what right workers have

amazing they skipped that part in the exit deal even before covid

don't worry next time Boris wants new wall paper its about as much a roll as our NI Hike from next year

don't worry less europeans to steal your kids jobs

fuck off from the irish who you cannot deport

i'm not the one who said it was neiter good nor bad that we gave this government the right to choose what right workers have

amazing they skipped that part in the exit deal even before covid

don't worry next time Boris wants new wall paper its about as much a roll as our NI Hike from next year

don't worry less europeans to steal your kids jobs

fuck off from the irish who you cannot deport
I don’t mean to be rude but I don’t really understand what your saying.

Cool, i don't understand why you think Brexit has been neither bad nor good

when it was sold as helping the NHS and has given you a base 1 percent wage increase

and how it helps workers

regardless of the idea that labour shortages make it easier for your kids to progress in their apprenticeships

tis a public poll btw

Last edited:
Weird how dozens of countries that didn't leave the EU or were never in the EU are experiencing the exact same labour shortages and corresponding wage rises.

think we had a global pandemic or something

at least other countries did not invest in matt hancocks sisters company

think we had a global pandemic or something

at least other countries did not invest in matt hancocks sisters company

Going to be a real shame if unions use this moment to secure major gains for workers and the message people take away is "wages go up when the Tories keep immigrants out."

union gains during a tory parliament

well if we want the voters to forget about harry marriying Megan

Jury still out as far as I am concerned , there seems to be some positives for some people and some negatives for others. Some people's positives are also other's negatives so that confuses the matter.

A concise summary by The Financial Times about the very considerable economic harm Brexit has done to the U.K.

It's six years since Brexit and we are doing worse than any comparable nation. The graph comparing is with France (who have a similar service focused economy to ours) was very sobering. They are doing much better than us. Brexit was as they say a “slow puncture” as we slowly and steadily fall behind our competitors each year. (Project Fear was both disingenuous and counter productive. We were never going to fall off cliff. Well not until someone like Truss took over.)

The main problem is that the advantage of being able to set our regulations not only fails to compensate the loss in our goods being held up in our largest market by non tariff regulations (ie sitting in a warehouse somewhere in the EU for weeks) it can actually cost us more around the world. As the world’s largest market EU regulations are copied up others including the US and China because that makes economic sense. So creating our own makes no sense!

The video gives the example of the chemical industry. It cost us £500,000 to harmonise with EU regulations but since Brexit it has cost us £2bn to make up our own and for what? With the global chemical industry already aligned to the much larger EU market we will get no advantage from this outlay. So all the ‘free market’ advantages claimed by Brexiteers don’t stand up to scrutiny. The only thing which will make us more competitive in this line will be by paying poorer wages!

So while Brexit has only ensured that our exporters are at a disadvantage and have had to pay European warehouses rather than our own to store their products (and the 30% cut taken by EU agents) what advantage does it give our non EU exporters? Last year we sold $6.75bn to India which is pretty good but Germany sold them $12.97. And the further away a market is the higher the costs and lower the profits. So yes of course we should try to increase our trade with a country with so many people but we didn’t need Brexit to do that!

Voted very badly...mainly cos the bollocks spoken about it from both sides keeps going on. I had hoped people would stfu about by now.

Needs at least another 5 or 10 years to properly judge imho...however I do think that the vote has given racists a boost.

(I voted stay purely cos of my fear about the racism of the loudest leavers. In most other aspects I supported the "lexit" campaign...apart from them using the name "lexit")

IIRC Chairman Mao, when asked about the French Revolution, replied that it was too soon to judge.

I'm of the firm opinion that Brexit is the single most overrated issue of all time and is only talked about because it's a proxy for various political stances. It just doesn't matter and hasn't affected anything. Everything about it (pro or anti) is bullshit. I thought leaving the customs union was a bit nutty but non of the predictions of project fear have materialised, but at the same time this free marketeering idea that the UK can just set up trade links all over the world is bullshit, the lexit case was fine but also bullshit because I recon we could have just remained and carried out a social democratic programme anyway if Labour were up to it. It's bullshit, bullshit, bullshit whatever way you look at it and there are far more pressing concerns. Constantly talking about it and posturing about it is a weird national obsession and frankly it's a weird national obsession that let the fantastically dreadful Boris Johnson government in (I blame all sides). It's quite nice seeing a fundamentally undemocratic and protectionist institution marginally undermined by the UK exit, but that's it. There isn't enough meh in the world to convey my feelings about it.

IIRC Chairman Mao, when asked about the French Revolution, replied that it was too soon to judge.

This was apparently a mistranslation or misunderstanding - Zhou Enlai, then-premier of China, was speaking in 1972 about the 1968 Paris uprising.

Zhou Enlai, therefore, was responding to a question about a 1968 protest that was still having effects a few years later. He was not taking a two-centuries-long view of European history. At least not when responding to that question. Buzzkill Institute researchers have yet to determine whether Zhou Enlai thought the French were living through interesting times, as the oft-repeated “ancient Chinese curse” has it. Whether there’s anything Chinese about that curse will have to wait till another show

Back
Top Bottom