Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Alt-Right

they've clearly been effective, but if we can say that the far right's targets range broadly from US style intersectional liberals and social democrats to the far left, then have they really been much cleverer and more active than all those?

e.g. there's been highly visible and energetic movements in support of Sanders & Corbyn and the socdem politics associated with both, and we've had a fair bit of discussion on here about the internet aspect of Corbyn's support and the extent of its influence, which while debatable is surely not insignificant. In both cases large numbers of people have been drawn in and got energised and thats still very apparent in their online presence.

and I don't think anyone could deny the effectiveness of the use of the internet by the intersectional liberal lot. they've built networks of websites and popular personalities, as well as developing extensive and vibrant net cultures especially on social media like tumblr and twitter. the dynamism and 'cultural threat' posed by them is I suppose reflected in the extreme bigoted reaction of stuff like gamergate.

[edited for slightly better phrasing]

Thank you, inva, that's cheering.

It's possible I'm being too gloomy and that that's a function of me looking with dread at the works of the right - and partcularly the numbers of people who follow and engage with right wing (and increasingly with extreme right wing) social media accounts.

I've tried to become more active myself in support of my beliefs now, and that's, in itself, a personally positive step.

Nice to see a ContraPoints video being shared! Contra is excellent and well worth supporting on YouTube and social media.

As is Shaun and Jen (Shaun).

As is hbomberguy (though he's more about pop culture) (hbomberguy)

As is Destiny: (Destiny)

Not all of those are particularly left wing - Destiny certinaly isn't (yet!) - but they are prominent and anti-Alt Right.

A load of this stuff is going on online (I was looking for but now can't find - typical!) a good article on the Alt Right man, Seattle4Truth, who murdered his father (Alt-righter 'Seattle4Truth' charged with killing father over conspiracy theories). In fact, almost all of it is going on online and the far right is much cleverer and much more active online - so far.

That Generation Identity site makes a big deal of it: "

2. Get active on the Internet

Create a Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter account, and use it to share content from the counter-culture and participate in debates.

Follow patriotic groups such as Generation Identity and Defend Europe on Twitter & Facebook.

Comment on relevant online articles, repost and share our content and participate in political surveys."

And it's worth doing the same. The more views YouTube videos have, the more visible they become in other people's recommendations - just starting a video and letting it play for about 30 seconds is enough to give it a view - the same is true of upvoting and even more so of sharing it on social media. Downvote stuff you don't like. If you see people breaking terms of service on sites report them - and although these companies are often run by libertarians they usually have terms that say: "Our products are platforms for free expression. However, we don't support content that promotes or condones violence against individuals or groups based on race or ethnic origin, religion, disability, gender, age, nationality, veteran status or sexual orientation/gender identity, or whose primary purpose is inciting hatred on the basis of these core characteristics."

Thanks for the links. I follow some of these people and I’ll check out some of the others you mention. There are a few decent youtubers but the alt-right/alt light folks seem to be the largest channels these days. I suspect YouTube is skewed in favour of the right as a platform, not just because of ad revenue but also because it favours individual users abilities rather than the collectivist energies that the left seeks to cultivate.

She worshipped Hitler, she didn't admire him. She literally thought he was a historical avatar. And she's not really being rehabilitated, she's been key to esoteric Hitlerism since her original rediscovery in the 70s followed by pirate editions of her work but the holocaust denier zundel. Her name is more dropped than playing any real role as very few people read her mystical drivel. The same with the other big one for this tradition serrano. Even evola is more read than either of them. And very few actually bother with him. Goodricke-clarke did a pretty good biography of her.

Last edited:
The mystical fascist who admired Hitler, beloved by the alt-right

Interesting story, never heard of her before.

E2a this may be where the mad cat lady archetype originated.

The nazi obsession with the occult is too often overlooked IMO. It's a fascinating topic, YT is full of docs on it, it lends itself to sounding conspiratorial and linking into a lot of stuff that CTists go on about but it's all pretty well founded too. The late 19th and early 20th centuries saw huge fascination in the occult. It may be fairly clunky but for me an obsession with occult stuff is a key dividing line between garden variety fascists and more bona fide nazis.

'White Lives Matter' Rally Canceled After Meeting Heavy Resistance In Tennessee

White supremacists, neo-Nazis and fascists descended on a Middle Tennessee town Saturday for a “White Lives Matter” rally, striking fear into communities desperate to avoid the kind of violence that visited Charlottesville, Virginia, nearly three months ago.

But it was met with a heavy police presence and resistance from counterprotesters. A second rally planned for the afternoon in the larger college town of Murfreesboro was abruptly canceled by organizers.

when it doesn't, these rightwingers will
1: take credit for preventing it and saving america and/or
2: insult "the left" for not having the bottle actually to do something forceful (but if "the left" does do something forceful, they're "violent" and "thugs")
You forgot,

3. Kill some random black person.

Arrogant condescending stupid prick shocker! And watching that it seems (as far as you can tell) that he is actually sincere in his beliefs. (Obviously I don't use that "sincerity" as praise, but having not really seen him speak before I thought it might come across that it was some sort of pose in order to fleece racists.)

Is there any indication of who the laughing crowd are?

Arrogant condescending stupid prick shocker! And watching that it seems (as far as you can tell) that he is actually sincere in his beliefs. (Obviously I don't use that "sincerity" as praise, but having not really seen him speak before I thought it might come across that it was some sort of pose in order to fleece racists.)

Is there any indication of who the laughing crowd are?
I think they're Spencer's supporters/hangers on
When I encountered Spencer at Montgomery Bell park, he emerged carrying a glass of what smelled like bourbon and an entourage of adoring bigots soon surrounded me in the car park.

Back
Top Bottom