Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tareena Shakil - convicted of membership of Islamic State

If ISIS propaganda had been all about liberation downplaying the reality it would be easier to accept she might.be a deluded romantic but they've positively celebrated what they did to the Yazidi etc so seems pretty certain she signed up for that.

No, I doubt that very much indeed - more like running away to somewhere she thought she might have some relevance, being a warriors wife etc.etc. I doubt she thought very clearly about killing - do you think all those 18 year olds signing up for military service actually look much further than the promised 'career' as an engineer. Do you think they truly see themselves killing people?
And hey, interesting to me - we have 2 rather opposing views here, both from ex-soldiers - Coley - who has a degree of understanding and compassion and Kebabking who is just a nasty vengeful fuckwit.

No, I doubt that very much indeed - more like running away to somewhere she thought she might have some relevance, being a warriors wife etc.etc. I doubt she thought very clearly about killing - do you think all those 18 year olds signing up for military service actually look much further than the promised 'career' as an engineer. Do you think they truly see themselves killing people?
And hey, interesting to me - we have 2 rather opposing views here, both from ex-soldiers - Coley - who has a degree of understanding and compassion and Kebabking who is just a nasty vengeful fuckwit.
Might not have signed up to do it personally but wanted to be part of the group that did. No doubt more positive aspects appealed most but she'd have been aware of everything else entailed and was OK with it. And dedicated her infant kid to doing it later.

I saw a chance to rehabilitate this woman and use her experience to dissuade more people (especially disaffected youth who have nothing to look forward to)...a great opportunity to bring some good out of this...but seemingly, mob justice must prevail and bad women must be punished even more harshly because of the affront they represent to the female mothering virtue paradigm.

yes, she did that. And then changed her mind.

And the British Legion dress children up as fighters of the future. Proudly place them on the front page of their website.

Are you seriously comparing soldiers in the British Army to IS fighters? If so, go to Aldershot with a banner declaring such and let us know how you get on.

Are you seriously comparing soldiers in the British Army to IS fighters? If so, go to Aldershot with a banner declaring such and let us know how you get on.
I am comparing the actions of one person dressing up a child as a future fighter to use in publicity shots with the actions of another group dressing up children as future fighters to use in publicity shots.

I am comparing the actions of one person dressing up a child as a future fighter to use in publicity shots with the actions of another group dressing up children as future fighters to use in publicity shots.

Are you seriously comparing soldiers in the British Army to IS fighters?

The state that has locked her up is the same state that promotes this kind of activity. The judge's indignant outrage is at the very least hypocritical.
Well, again, the hypocrisy of the British state is a given. I just don't find it likely that she was a dupe and can't get too exercised about the punishment the hypocrites have given her.

Well, again, the hypocrisy of the British state is a given. I just don't find it likely that she was a dupe and can't get too exercised about the punishment the hypocrites have given her.
Ok, on that point we disagree then. Hypocritically applied punishment, including an extra tariff for being a mother, does bother me.

Some might say that that is an encapsulation of the difference between the officer class and actual soldiers. :)

I saw a chance to rehabilitate this woman and use her experience to dissuade more people (especially disaffected youth who have nothing to look forward to)...a great opportunity to bring some good out of this...but seemingly, mob justice must prevail and bad women must be punished even more harshly because of the affront they represent to the female mothering virtue paradigm.

And that is pretty much what this is down to, at least where the media reportage has gone. She's a woman who dared to transgress, and who provided some extra rope to hang herself with, by taking her (male) child with her.
Have any of the males who've dragged their entire families to the conflict zone, received this degree of opprobrium? I'm not convinced that they have.

[Yes, this is at the heart of my sadness here - that a woman is being vindictively punished for a lot of hypothetical claims of what she has personally been responsible for and is being made to stand in as a kind of superbad transgressor, a fantasy figure in her own right, a lilith or jezebel rather than the mother/madonna.

I also think that a lot of the much older commentators on this thread are looking through their own personal prism of male experience and political knowledge which, I sincerely doubt was a motivating factor in this woman's life. Whilst I have no wish to downplay the utter stupidity of this woman, I am having difficulty ascribing to her all the ills of the ME. I have no doubt that she was starring in her own epic adventure with little awareness of the real grief and pain her actions caused but there is also no doubt that the claims of her 'evil doing' and malice have not been substantiated in anything other than role-playing, dressing up and, for me, the worst aspect of it, attempting to persuade others to join her. Had she actually been complicit in bombing, killing and maiming rather than spending her time locked up with other women, used as cattle by men, I would also be judging her more harshly...but I cannot really find it in me to punish someone so harshly because she defied expectations.

Last edited:
Shes lucky that she escaped is and we are not a bunch of medival murderous zealots. Unless she disowns her beliefs. I wouldnt feel safe having her lose in society.
Dont think any of the familys that went to syria have come back.

Tbf the para left aldershot years ago there based at colchester theses days

Have any of the males who've dragged their entire families to the conflict zone, received this degree of opprobrium? I'm not convinced that they have.

None has come back, so we really have no idea how they would be treated by the courts. My guess is more than 6 years.

I'm not sure that she's claimed that she was a dupe, but that she had a change of heart.

Back
Top Bottom