Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tareena Shakil - convicted of membership of Islamic State

Fair enough but still a waste of resources and it still sends the wrong message.

No. Sends the right message. Otherwise what you're saying is go off try a little jaunt in Syria see if you get on with the lifestyle fighting working for Diash. Take your children to. When you get fed up and come back and will just give you a little bit of light house arrest. The people you helped repressed by working for who you did, well they don't really matter. You know they're not like British people.

Fair enough but still a waste of resources and it still sends the wrong message.
I disagree.

If you're not going to nick people for deliberately and unnecessarily exposing a child to war and violent terrorism; living off the proceeds of terrorism and intimidation; encouraging others to become terrorists; and lying like a fucking rug about it to the police and courts, it's difficult to imagine what you would imprison someone for.

Last edited:
...Being jailed for doing something stupid?

doing something stupid is going for a walk up Ben Nevis in jeans and trainers, or lobbing eggs at cars as they go past.

stupid, by some measure, does not extend to leaving the UK and moving to a 'state' that the UK is at war with, accepting its legitimacy and encouraging others who have not yet made that journey to do so - and to top it all, taking your kid with you and forcing that child to take part in those propaganda efforts.

by joining IS she contributed to the theft of peoples homes, and she encouraged others to go to ISland in order to take part in murder, rape, torture, and subjugation.

stupid my fucking arse.

I think it sends a pretty strong message that after less than 3 years inside you and your child will still be alive, whereas it's likely that after a year of continual bombing by the Russians and NATO et al and inevitable overrun by Assad and or Kurdish Forces and or Iraqi and or Iranian Forces and or inevitable mass death culting by IS chances are you won't.

Pretty much unless you were from ireland it took a bit longer or you were trying to do something security sensative

Odd how people are jailed for joining the likes if ISIS (not my favourite people by any means) but not for joining the Foreign Legion which is also illegal.

Well if you join the legion and complete a tour your a french citizen and unfortunatly its no longer illegal to be French.
Frankly jail would be a relief after the legion:eek:

Well if you join the legion and complete a tour your a french citizen and unfortunatly its no longer illegal to be French.
Frankly jail would be a relief after the legion:eek:

True, with a clean conduct sheet the French do offer citizenship (even the Legion treats foreign soldiers better than we do). But, under the 1870 Foreign Enlistment Act, enlisting in a foreign army is illegal, it's just that the law in question is never actually used. Personally, I'd feel safer spending the five years in Dartmoor, but that's just me.

My battalion had two guys who went awol after various stunts inculding phoning the rsm from offices they were cleaning in new york tried to join the legion.
The legionfound out they were awol and flew them back to the regiment with a case of wine for the sgts mess of course didnt tell the two heros who were in for a suprise when the ramp came down:D

My battalion had two guys who went awol after various stunts inculding phoning the rsm from offices they were cleaning in new york tried to join the legion.
The legionfound out they were awol and flew them back to the regiment with a case of wine for the sgts mess of course didnt tell the two heros who were in for a suprise when the ramp came down:D

No doubt the RSM enjoyed their company more than they enjoyed his.

I disagree.

If you're not going to nick people for deliberately and unnecessarily exposing a child to war and violent terrorism; living off the proceeds of terrorism and intimidation; encouraging others to become terrorists; and lying like a fucking rug about it to the police and courts, it's difficult to imagine what you would imprison someone for.
Well when you put it like that...

She has been treated more harshly than others in the past for doing similar things, though, such as those convicted of membership of the IRA. It appears the extra two years have been shoved on there intentionally to make the sentence longer than it would otherwise be, and it does also represent another case where a woman is sentenced to a longer sentence than a man for broadly the same crime. There are other reasons for it, no doubt. But then aren't there always.

doing something stupid is going for a walk up Ben Nevis in jeans and trainers, or lobbing eggs at cars as they go past.

stupid, by some measure, does not extend to leaving the UK and moving to a 'state' that the UK is at war with, accepting its legitimacy and encouraging others who have not yet made that journey to do so - and to top it all, taking your kid with you and forcing that child to take part in those propaganda efforts.

by joining IS she contributed to the theft of peoples homes, and she encouraged others to go to ISland in order to take part in murder, rape, torture, and subjugation.

stupid my fucking arse.
Ok, incredibly stupid, but what good does jailing her do? and as for those concerned with the bairns welfare how much more harm is it going to do to the bairn separating him from his mother?

Sentences are supposed to do two interrelated things, right?

Firstly to punish and secondly to deter.

It is difficult to see how this sentence falls outside either or both of those definitions so as to render it excessive.

She will probably be eligible for release in 3 years anyway - is 3 years sufficient punishment and/or deterrent for someone seeking to join ISIS?

From my pov, that sounds just about on the money.

Ok, fair, she was an idiot if you have cast iron faith in her testimony but there are plenty of idiots out there who are convicted for far smaller crimes...

She has been treated more harshly than others in the past for doing similar things, though, such as those convicted of membership of the IRA. It appears the extra two years have been shoved on there intentionally to make the sentence longer than it would otherwise be, and it does also represent another case where a woman is sentenced to a longer sentence than a man for broadly the same crime. There are other reasons for it, no doubt. But then aren't there always.
I'm not sure you can draw an equivalence between what she's done and simple "membership of the IRA". Her case is aggravated by the fact that she involved the child, incited others to jihad, and has lied or been unhelpful since she returned.

And I think that if the answer to that is negative, one needs to have some pretty well reasoned arguments as to why that is the case

Ok, incredibly stupid, but what good does jailing her do? and as for those concerned with the bairns welfare how much more harm is it going to do to the bairn separating him from his mother?

Really, you have to ask what good it would do the child to be separated from a parent who whipped him off to a warzone and to join a death and rape cult?

Really?

His mother has shown herself to be a total fuckwit.

Is it reasonable for someone who has attempted to hand their child over to ISIS, to maintain custody of that child anyway?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom