Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

SWP expulsions and squabbles

they were a couple for years and couples can start to dress like each other. anyway, a massive amount of people in their forties dress like that. mod-life crisis.

Took butchers' comment as light-hearted jest-making. Then I googled:
martinsmithmp4.jpg

:eek:

no way! two people wearing specs and a ben sherman red gingham shirt! i bet hardly anyone wears glasses and buys red gingham ben shermans, even though it is pretty much ben shermans signature range.

Have to say I am unfamiliar with Sherman's range, disco. I did think was uncanny though.

Me and the mrs wear the same rugby shirt all the time but we're not clones either :)

On more serious matters the ISN had its first formal get together today. Minutes of motions passed to follow apparently. International observers from the ISO present.

This contribution from Mieville on the ISN blog is pretty good. The style is a little overwrought, as is usual with China's pieces in my experience. But he makes some good points about a Marxist psychology and the simplistic and atheoretical nature of the loyalists' positions and critiques. Though it seems to me that psychology has always been one of Marxism's weakest areas. I'd be interested to hear others' views on this, though maybe I should take it to the theory board. Funny too that he critiques the CC for being ignorant of the scholarly discipline of social psychology. From what I've read, which is a fair bit, it is a most scientistic and reductionist discipline; not much use for Marxists I think. Also, I think some of his comments bear on the discussion of theories of patriarchy and violence further up the thread.

Me and the mrs wear the same rugby shirt all the time but we're not clones either :)

On more serious matters the ISN had its first formal get together today. Minutes of motions passed to follow apparently. International observers from the ISO present.
They have a proper website up now as well.

I enjoyed China's piece too, tenniselbow, although the general conclusions seemed a bit underdeveloped thanks to the focus on SWP practice. I'd say the weird idealism of loyalists in this debate is well observed though! There's far too much about 'consciousness' without usually examining what processes (re)produce particular consciousnesses - for example the functionalism of the classic IS 'capital needs the family therefore women are oppressed' position. The Rupture thinking on class unity rings true as well! There's an interesting discussion on this by Bensaid - http://www.marxists.org/archive/bensaid/2006/08/polstrat.htm - though maybe a little 'statist' for some tastes.....

"[Professor] Alex’s transitional approach halts at the threshold of the question of power. This would be left to be resolved by some unconvincing deus ex machina, supposedly by a spontaneous tidal wave of the masses and a generalised outburst of soviet democracy. "

As an aside, Jerry Hicks managed a creditable 36% minority support in the Unite GS election - http://www.iansunitesite.org.uk/2013/04/unite-election-result-out-len-won-but.html?m=1 . Seems to be an improvement on the 2010 result from his point of view. I'm surprised he managed as much as this with the swappies as major backers, does he have a wider support base than I'd imagined? Presumably the loyalists will take some heart from that result anyway. Even if other factors like the absence of a challenge from the right will have encouraged a 'Len's-feet-to-the-fire' vote. So either the SWP are so irrelevant they don't even matter for their chosen candidate, or alternately, they still can still make an impact in Britain's biggest union....wonder who they'll ally with outside the broad left group. Think it's good that LMcC won but without overwhelming support anyway, don't want him feeling too comfortable on that fat salary!!

As an aside, Jerry Hicks managed a creditable 36% minority support in the Unite GS election - http://www.iansunitesite.org.uk/2013/04/unite-election-result-out-len-won-but.html?m=1 . Seems to be an improvement on the 2010 result from his point of view. I'm surprised he managed as much as this with the swappies as major backers, does he have a wider support base than I'd imagined? Presumably the loyalists will take some heart from that result anyway. Even if other factors like the absence of a challenge from the right will have encouraged a 'Len's-feet-to-the-fire' vote. So either the SWP are so irrelevant they don't even matter for their chosen candidate, or alternately, they still can still make an impact in Britain's biggest union....wonder who they'll ally with outside the broad left group. Think it's good that LMcC won but without overwhelming support anyway, don't want him feeling too comfortable on that fat salary!!
It's a mix of solid supporters for him and some 'get rid of McLuskey at any cost' people. Both of them improved their vote by about 50%.

Last times results were:
1. Len McCluskey, 101,000 votes (42%)
2. Jerry Hicks, 53,000 votes (22%)
3. Les Bayliss, 47,000 votes (19%)
4. Gail Cartmail, 39,000 votes (16%)

So deffo a good result for Hicks

Absolutely agree that someone should not be forced to do anything, only supported. But my general understanding is that the police will now take action in cases of domestic violence and sexual assault even if the victim doesn't want them to..

They don't.

Back
Top Bottom