Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Streatham news, rumours and general chat

Wasn't aware that Christ Church betwixt Brixton and Streatham is concert venue
View attachment 426622
Eventbrite's commission is getting pricey (18.5%). I assume in this day and age that the church has a card-reader for the turn up on the door customers?
Be interesting to test their "concessions" definition - nowadays most central London venues give concessions to the young, not the old.
They have had some very good stuff recently.

The service of Nine Lessons and Carols with the same Campanile Chamber Choir was excellent.

They have had some very good stuff recently.

The service of Nine Lessons and Carols with the same Campanile Chamber Choir was excellent.
Just some feedback. The Bruckner concert by the Campanile Choir at Christ Church was very well presented, though
not especially well attended. They had a glass of wine on offer - though I did not partake.
These pieces are not often performed in concert, except as fillers.
There was a wide range of dates. The final piece before the encore was Ecce sacerfos magnus - which was very grand and sounded strangely familiar.
Possibly because it was performed at the coronation (although the conductor introduced the work without mentioning this)
Coronation version courtesy of Sir John Eliot Gardiner

Have inner city high street fried chicken shops become surrogate youth clubs?

How fried chicken took over the British high street
I suppose this is a matter of concern - but I'm more concerned to find such an article in the Sunday Times.
This is a gift from former Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries who released the Times and Sunday Times from independent quality control, which was imposed on the Murdoch management by Thatcher. Ban on Rupert Murdoch’s interference in Times and Sunday Times ended

Everitt Road Properties Ltd, whose 2023 statutory accounts are currently nearly six months late for filing and whose sole director is a Dominican national resident in China, has applied to Lambeth Council to turn the former Streatham Police station into a 57-bedroom hotel, with a cafe on the ground floor, and rooms in the basement, ground floor and upper floors:

Former Streatham police station could become boutique hotel
Better use than a cannabis farm I guess.....

Everitt Road Properties Ltd, whose 2023 statutory accounts are currently nearly six months late for filing and whose sole director is a Dominican national resident in China, has applied to Lambeth Council to turn the former Streatham Police station into a 57-bedroom hotel, with a cafe on the ground floor, and rooms in the basement, ground floor and upper floors:

Former Streatham police station could become boutique hotel
Company registration are a bit of a joke eh

Dominica is (in)famously one of the small island nations which has monetised flogging off passports so I am 100% certain that the "Dominican national resident in China" is a Chinese oligarch, not a Caribbean mogul.

I suppose this is a matter of concern - but I'm more concerned to find such an article in the Sunday Times.
This is a gift from former Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries who released the Times and Sunday Times from independent quality control, which was imposed on the Murdoch management by Thatcher. Ban on Rupert Murdoch’s interference in Times and Sunday Times ended
I had a few friends who were 'Guardians' in this place. It was a cavernous old building and you could still access the old holding cells. They lived in squat like conditions but still paid something like £600 rent a month each, about 20 of them. Previously to that a few of the Bristolian band 'Slamboree', who play at Hootananny from time to time, lived there and threw parties that got so out of hand they were chucked out. It's no longer a Guardianship property but I thought it had already started to be converted into flats. I'm not delighted to hear it might be turned into a hotel, isn't there a housing crisis where fucking loads of people desperately need an affordable home? Considering the building was assumedly property of the state, you'd think this would be something that could be earmarked for that.

I was going to post that I would have never expected seeing the words Streatham and boutique hotel in the same sentence, but then realised that as a Tulse Hill resident I had already experienced firsthand such unlikely reports.

Good luck to them, but whereas I am
sure new hotel accommodation will come handy to the area, Streatham (or Tulse Hill) seem very unlikely locations for a ‘boutique’ hotel. Doesn’t exactly scream romantic weekend, no matter how chic the boutique hotel might turn out to be.

I had a few friends who were 'Guardians' in this place. It was a cavernous old building and you could still access the old holding cells. They lived in squat like conditions but still paid something like £600 rent a month each, about 20 of them. Previously to that a few of the Bristolian band 'Slamboree', who play at Hootananny from time to time, lived there and threw parties that got so out of hand they were chucked out. It's no longer a Guardianship property but I thought it had already started to be converted into flats. I'm not delighted to hear it might be turned into a hotel, isn't there a housing crisis where fucking loads of people desperately need an affordable home? Considering the building was assumedly property of the state, you'd think this would be something that could be earmarked for that.
Oops, replied to the wrong post there.

I could understand if it was a Travelodge/Premier Inn type of place, they spring up wherever there is a demand. One has recently opened on Lewisham High Street for example, which is pretty rough round the edges, but must suit people visiting families in the area.

But you'd be surprised where expensive accommodation crops up. Near me in Sydenham a pub that reopened a year ago called The Fox and Hounds has rooms above it and it's over £100 a night to stay there. The pub is struggling for business but apparently the hotel above it keeps it afloat. Even just the few weekends of festivals at nearby Crystal Palace Park is a money spinner for them.

I was going to post that I would have never expected seeing the words Streatham and boutique hotel in the same sentence, but then realised that as a Tulse Hill resident I had already experienced firsthand such unlikely reports.

Good luck to them, but whereas I am
sure new hotel accommodation will come handy to the area, Streatham (or Tulse Hill) seem very unlikely locations for a ‘boutique’ hotel. Doesn’t exactly scream romantic weekend, no matter how chic the boutique hotel might turn out to be.
I think quite a bit of their business will come from parents visiting kids and the kids having no spare room to put them up.

It is festival season in Streatham again.

First off is Streatham Free Film Festival
14th - 28th September 2024
Another great programme of films from the volunteer team, starting with two open air screenings:

Wonka in the Rookery Gardens at 7.30pm on Saturday 14th September
1725560146534.png

Copa 71 is in Hillside Gardens Park at 7.30pm on Sunday 15th September
1725560098134.png

Last edited:
1725561570456.png

The Streatham Festival (it dropped the word Arts years ago) runs from 11th to 20th October.

As ever, an ambitious programme of visual arts in shops and cafes up and down the High Road.

Hold the date for the Streatham Strut - ten bands in ten venues over ten hours - on Saturday 12th October from 1pm to 11pm

The full programme - including dance, photography and drama - should be out later in September. Sadly no confirmed events this year at Streatham Space Project this year due to their money problems.

Last edited:

The Streatham Festival (it dropped the word Arts years ago) runs from 11th to 20th October.

As ever, an ambitious programme of visual arts in shops and cafes up and down the High Road.

Hold the date for the Streatham Strut - ten bands in ten venues over ten hours - on Saturday 12th September from 1pm to 11pm

The full programme - including dance, photography and drama - should be out later in September. Sadly no confirmed events this year at Streatham Space Project this year due to their money problems.
Strut is Sat 12 OCTOBER, not September FYI

Back
Top Bottom