Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Streatham news, rumours and general chat

It does seem to be the normal since the Streatham Wells LTN came in. Whether it’s the permanent normal or it will calm down as it beds in who knows.

The debate is about as polarised as you would expect.

I ride up through central Streatham almost every day, and the traffic was pretty dreadful from when they brought the new LTNs in until the Christmas break.
Since then though, it all seems pretty calm; the schools have been back a week, everyone's back and working etc - so maybe it has bedded in?

Unless there's something glaring I've overlooked, like all private schools not going back till next week or something :confused:

The inevitable march of shit flat blocks 🤑

The best place in that block was The Dorchester Cafe, as old-school an eatery as you've ever seen.

It took me two and a half hours on the bus yesterday from Brixton to thornton heath, I thought there must be roadworks or an accident ahead but it was just traffic!!!!!

This is brilliant news. Sadly I looked at the comments....I just don't get how people can be against this! ☹️
Leaving aside the usual petrolhead objections to giving up any roadspace to any other users, in my view this project is flawed as:

1. TfL still don't have Arriva - the operator of "Brixton" (Telford Avenue) bus garage - on side for how they will operate if they are forbidden from parking buses on the reduced road space.
(Most of Arriva's current parking on the road is illegal but TfL/police don't appear to be ticketing the buses)
2. The design includes two traffic signal controlled switchovers of the segregated lane between sides of Streatham Hill, which means most more confident commuter cyclists won't bother using it.
3. There are no realistic proposals for segregated routes between the northern end of this in Brixton Hill and routes to north Lambeth, City and West End
4. Similarly, there are no realistic proposals for how to create links to segregated routes to the south.
5. It is a white elephant being pushed through in a Mayoral election year without adequate scrutiny
6. Current team at the ever dysfunctional TfL Streets were not aware that the concrete surrounding the original cable tramway, latterly conduits for underground electric supply to trams, is still there - despite local stakeholders telling previous TfL officers multiple times this was a likely issue, so costs of trying to dig up road may be massively more than available budget.

Last edited:
Lots of local criticism that the press release for this claimed that the station was now "fully accessible".
And the new lift was broken down (allegedly due to vandalism?) within a few days of opening, although seems to have been repaired promptly
Astonishing claims about the reason for the unreliabilty of the Streatham station have been unearthed by a local disability campaigner.

Slighly surprised this Twitter thread has not made it to more news outlets:

https://x.com/flowergirl_lon/status/1747220571732005073?s=20

https://x.com/flowergirl_lon/status/1747220944530124855?s=20

https://x.com/flowergirl_lon/status/1747221615526506642?s=20

Astonishing claims about the reason for the unreliabilty of the Streatham station have been unearthed by a local disability campaigner.

Slighly surprised this Twitter thread has not made it to more news outlets:

https://x.com/flowergirl_lon/status/1747220571732005073?s=20

https://x.com/flowergirl_lon/status/1747220944530124855?s=20

https://x.com/flowergirl_lon/status/1747221615526506642?s=20

Does it say how this person was 'rumbled' and if the hating people in wheelchairs bit in inverted commas was an actual quote? I had a quick look at the Twitter account, but im no whizz on the program, seems like the account has made 15 posts in the last 3 hours, so didn't get past that.

Sam Jennings is a good egg. I also heard separately from a friend that the lifts were being deliberately put out of action. I meant to check last time I was there but forgot ☹️

Leaving aside the usual petrolhead objections to giving up any roadspace to any other users, in my view this project is flawed as:

1. TfL still don't have Arriva - the operator of "Brixton" (Telford Avenue) bus garage - on side for how they will operate if they are forbidden from parking buses on the reduced road space.
(Most of Arriva's current parking on the road is illegal but TfL/police don't appear to be ticketing the buses)
2. The design includes two traffic signal controlled switchovers of the segregated lane between sides of Streatham Hill, which means most more confident commuter cyclists won't bother using it.
3. There are no realistic proposals for segregated routes between the northern end of this in Brixton Hill and routes to north Lambeth, City and West End
4. Similarly, there are no realistic proposals for how to create links to segregated routes to the south.
5. It is a white elephant being pushed through in a Mayoral election year without adequate scrutiny
6. Current team at the ever dysfunctional TfL Streets were not aware that the concrete surrounding the original cable tramway, latterly conduits for underground electric supply to trams, is still there - despite local stakeholders telling previous TfL officers multiple times this was a likely issue, so costs of trying to dig up road may be massively more than available budget.
Thanks for your reply.
Just to respond to a couple of points
2. The scheme surely is designed to help less confident or more vulnerable cyclists to cycle more. If those seasoned veterans don't need to use it, then fine.
3 and 4. We need to start somewhere. Of course a fully linked segregated cycle route all along the A23 would be ideal, but this at least affords protection in a horrible section of road.

Thanks for your reply.
Just to respond to a couple of points
2. The scheme surely is designed to help less confident or more vulnerable cyclists to cycle more. If those seasoned veterans don't need to use it, then fine.
3 and 4. We need to start somewhere. Of course a fully linked segregated cycle route all along the A23 would be ideal, but this at least affords protection in a horrible section of road.
Most of the issues about a "horrible section of road" could be resolved much more cheaply by:
1) Narrowing the current "motorway" three lane section between S Circular and Telford Avenue;
2) More camera enforcement of 20mph limit;
3) Getting rid of raised central reservation planters to improve sightlines at junctions;
4) Not allowing Arriva South London to tender for more bus routes than they can safely park off road, rather than permanently blocking shared use bus/cycle lanes.

Most of the issues about a "horrible section of road" could be resolved much more cheaply by:
1) Narrowing the current "motorway" three lane section between S Circular and Telford Avenue;
2) More camera enforcement of 20mph limit;
3) Getting rid of raised central reservation planters to improve sightlines at junctions;
4) Not allowing Arriva South London to tender for more bus routes than they can safely park off road, rather than permanently blocking shared use bus/cycle lanes.
I'm not sure how 1-3 would improve life for cyclists? 🤔

Think some earlier dates were discussed here previously, but the posters are now up in the Holland Tringham confirming seven week closure for refurbishment 11 March to 30 April.

IMG_20240305_175818_HDR.jpg

Slightly mundane question but where would people recommend for a coffee and doing a bit of work in Streatham? I'm trying to vary up my wfh days and figure getting out for an hour with a coffee would be a good way of doing it.

Slightly mundane question but where would people recommend for a coffee and doing a bit of work in Streatham? I'm trying to vary up my wfh days and figure getting out for an hour with a coffee would be a good way of doing it.
I’m not sure where you are in Streatham but West Norwood library, if accessible to you, is great. There’s good coffee in the picturehouse cafe, you can get on calls there without disturbing anyone, or go into the library for quiet.

Then there’s the Hive on Palace Road, not far from Streatham Hill. Good food and coffee at good prices, usually good music playing, Wi-Fi is good.

Streatham library has good working space, good Wi-Fi, but no coffee and I’ve never felt able to chat on a call there.

I’m not sure where you are in Streatham but West Norwood library, if accessible to you, is great. There’s good coffee in the picturehouse cafe, you can get on calls there without disturbing anyone, or go into the library for quiet.

Then there’s the Hive on Palace Road, not far from Streatham Hill. Good food and coffee at good prices, usually good music playing, Wi-Fi is good.

Streatham library has good working space, good Wi-Fi, but no coffee and I’ve never felt able to chat on a call there.

Thanks, all great suggestions! I didn't know the Hive exists - I used to live on that estate so I think that'll be the first place I try!

Thanks, all great suggestions! I didn't know the Hive exists - I used to live on that estate so I think that'll be the first place I try!
It’s really is an amazing place, I’ve often spent three hours there. It looks over Palace Road nature garden, which is a bonus. It trains people with special needs in the expectation that they can develop skills to work elsewhere.

Pleasant seating area, good music, good food and coffee, helps people with special needs. Win, win, win, win.

I was ruminating on info put out by weownit.org.uk and wondered why - alone in Lambeth - Streatham has 3 GP practices apparently owned by an American private healthcare company:
Edith Cavell Surgery 41A-C Streatham Hill SW2 4TP
Streatham High Practice 2-8 Gracefield Gardens SW16 2ST
Streatham Place Surgery 26-28 Streatham Place SW2 4QY

Kennington has the Hurley Clinic which describes itself as a social firm exclusively led by practicing GPs. Definitely not Centene, but maybe counts as a chain.

Anyone know if you get better or worse treatment at a "social firm" or a foreign-owned surgery than the traditional business model?

PS this 2018 Forbes article suggests Centene's medical interests (in the US) include a "Corrections portfolio" (ie prisons) Centene Acquisition Bolsters Its Prison Healthcare Business

I was ruminating on info put out by weownit.org.uk and wondered why - alone in Lambeth - Streatham has 3 GP practices apparently owned by an American private healthcare company:
Edith Cavell Surgery 41A-C Streatham Hill SW2 4TP
Streatham High Practice 2-8 Gracefield Gardens SW16 2ST
Streatham Place Surgery 26-28 Streatham Place SW2 4QY

Kennington has the Hurley Clinic which describes itself as a social firm exclusively led by practicing GPs. Definitely not Centene, but maybe counts as a chain.

Anyone know if you get better or worse treatment at a "social firm" or a foreign-owned surgery than the traditional business model?

PS this 2018 Forbes article suggests Centene's medical interests (in the US) include a "Corrections portfolio" (ie prisons) Centene Acquisition Bolsters Its Prison Healthcare Business
AT Medics (as the private consortium was known before being bought ought by US MedCo) grew partly by taking over "troubled" practices.
I think that was how they gained Streatham Place Surgery after the previous GP owners were alleged to have been falsifying registered patients and treatments.

Suspended Streatham doctors 'made millions', it is claimed

But I also think that for efficiencies, AT Medics also sought to take on "clusters" of nearby surgeries that could share some services.

Not sure there is any consensus that the AT Medics practices were any better or worse than traditional ones for the basics like availability of appointments.

Wasn't aware that Christ Church betwixt Brixton and Streatham is concert venue
1717071703858.png
Eventbrite's commission is getting pricey (18.5%). I assume in this day and age that the church has a card-reader for the turn up on the door customers?
Be interesting to test their "concessions" definition - nowadays most central London venues give concessions to the young, not the old.

Back
Top Bottom