Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Streatham news, rumours and general chat

Just seen on Facebook

CHANGE OF VENUE: Due to the rain, tonight's showing of King Richard has been moved to Christ Church Streatham Hill, Christchurch Road SW2 3ET

Looking as though rain won't set in until late on Saturday night, so weather for the E.T. screening should be just right.

Closer to Brixton/Tulse Hill, there is an open air screening of King RIchard scheduled for 7.30 Sunday evening in Hillside Gardens.
Look out for social media updates, if thundesrtorms means it has to move to an indoor venue.

View attachment 391694

Personally I'm looking forward to this Guy Fawkes special:

Petite messe solennelle​

• Saturday, 11 November 2023
  • 19:30 21:30
  • St Peter's Church StreathamLeigham Ct Rd

Rossini Petite messe solennelle

To open the 2023-24 season, Streatham Choral performs Gioachino Rossini’s choral masterpiece. Written near the end of his life, this extended work is scored for choir and soloists alongside piano and harmonium. The ironically titled work is neither little, solemn, nor especially liturgical in spirit, but vividly operatic throughout.
  • Conductor: Calum Fraser
  • Piano: Samuel Ali
  • Harmonium: Edward Dean
  • Soloists: TBC

A rare opportunity to hear a harmonium in a concert work - before they invented "keyboards" - i.e. electronic synthesisers the harmonium was the mainstay of many small churches - and is even today a popular instrument in India, presumably they like the reed organ sound.

This is a recent performance Rossini's Petite Messe presumably in the manner that Streatham Choral Society will be doing.
I have started the video at the harmonium solo in the Offertorium - but the whole work is here (all 1hour 22 minutes of it!)

Last edited:
Any
Pratt and Payne confirm they're shutting and Saturday 4th is last day of operations.
Any particular reason why? i suppose being beside a Wetherspoons isn't ideal but the pub has lasted a fair few years seemingly ok, and Portobello appear to be quite an ambitious company looking at expansion rather than closures.

Any

Any particular reason why? i suppose being beside a Wetherspoons isn't ideal but the pub has lasted a fair few years seemingly ok, and Portobello appear to be quite an ambitious company looking at expansion rather than closures.
Local rumour mill has it that the block containing P&P has been bought by same developer that owns former police station next door, looking to cram even more flats in on combined site.

On the subject of Pratts & Payne
From @laidbymonty on Twitter
Streatham's ranking in the league table of former Burton's the Tailor of Taste stores with elephant head capitals.

1698401239200.png

Local rumour mill has it that the block containing P&P has been bought by same developer that owns former police station next door, looking to cram even more flats in on combined site.
Thats bad news. Are the flats in the Police Station finished? My mate lived in that building under a Guardianship scheme until about 2 years ago. The place needed pulling down really but we had some good late night craic in there.

There was a fire in the police station earlier this year, no idea how much damage it did.

Apparently the Tringham will also be closed for a bit for a refurb. Its definitely needed it for years but I wonder where the regulars will drink in the meantime.

There was a fire in the police station earlier this year, no idea how much damage it did.

Apparently the Tringham will also be closed for a bit for a refurb. Its definitely needed it for years but I wonder where the regulars will drink in the meantime.
The last time that Wetherspoons refurbished The Crown & Sceptre including full redecoration and new carpets I think the whole job took only a week. Not sure if they can still justify paying those overtime rates?

Nooo! Any idea when/howlong? I arrange a monthly meeting in there, and it's like herding cats at the best of time. This will really complicate my life. . . arggh!

The fire was due to a cannabis farm in the building #ironic
I was told about this the other week, we had a chuckle about the irony of it. The whole bottom floor with the Police cells used to be 'out of bounds' (bar the odd ketty 5am wander in the dark) to people who lived there so it may well have been grown where they used to keep people who'd been nicked. Funny how such buildings can be flipped so easily in the relentless pursuit or lack of cold hard money.

The fire was due to a cannabis farm in the building #ironic
Back in the day my mates and I used to buy hash from a dealer in a squat in Canterbury Crescent overlooked by Brixton Nick. Aside from being able to provide good quantities of excellent Rocky the weed they grew in their garden was also pretty decent. A few years later I got to know the guy who was the dealer for Hendon Police College. Just saying.

The last time that Wetherspoons refurbished The Crown & Sceptre including full redecoration and new carpets I think the whole job took only a week. Not sure if they can still justify paying those overtime rates?
I am a sceptic when it comes to Wetherspoons plans.
The Capitol at Forest Hill was supposedly on the market several years ago - yet is still open.
Similarly the Penderals Oak in Holborn was scheduled to close 2019 - but still vibrant (I was there on Friday).

The Beehive in Brixton was refurbed recently - and if anything they made it worse. Although they did move two annoying fruit machines away from the entrance.

It shut a couple of weeks ago.
I was in Forest Hill on business and popped in there about 5.30 pm on 11th October - there was a big queue for the bar as with Holland Tringham, but it struck me the Capitol felt ultra dreary so I popped out again.
Had I know it was about to close I might have assisted in finishing off the stock!

More Wetherspoon flip-floppery:
This article about the Capitol Forest Hill is from 2016: The on-going saga of The Capitol being sold by Wetherspoons
Someone there has kindly posted up land registry details (from 2016) which show this cinema was leased by Wetherspoon most recently for 25 years from 2001 - https://se23.life/uploads/default/original/1X/85a81bf87a6ebb03f202a898ec5133871d79fd52.pdf
Interesting comments on the thread "I was hoping for a TK Max, I was hoping Cineworld would make it a cinema again"
Obv. Cineworld unlikely to take on more debt right now!

Re The Holland Tringham - only in 2018 there was a planning application to demolish and replace with 2 shops with 10 flats above and a rear car park (pdf of refusal notice attached)
No doubt Wetherspoons Watford account geeks could easily overcome the first council objection (pub not demonstrated to be unviable), but one wonders what the balance is now in Lambeth Planning between Conservation and Housing At All Costs - especially the most expensive!

PS - the Capitol Wetherspoons lease - one of the things commercial lease holders are wary of is repairs settlements - whereby the landlord assesses the cost of reinstating the property to its original condition when handed back and makes a claim. Wetherspoons may simply have to protect their position on this as restoring the Capitol could be expensive indeed.

Attachments

• 18_01121_OUT--2104255.pdf
    92.8 KB · Views: 1
I'm very curious as to what will happen to The Capitol, its a great building and I am rather gutted its closed, since I live nearby and used it quite often. At the moment they have 2 full time security guards visibly sat in the entrance, probably to deter squatters as its not yet boarded up. My suspicions were that it would have been bought by a Christian evangelical type church as they could easily fill it on Sundays, and pay for it by fleecing the congregation for their hard earned. But then again, Spoons still had 2 years left on the lease, so perhaps they closed it before winter kicks in to avoid massive heating bills, as its a very non energy efficient building. I can't see it being a pub again, if Spoons cant make it work then nobody can.

More Wetherspoon flip-floppery:
This article about the Capitol Forest Hill is from 2016: The on-going saga of The Capitol being sold by Wetherspoons
Someone there has kindly posted up land registry details (from 2016) which show this cinema was leased by Wetherspoon most recently for 25 years from 2001 - https://se23.life/uploads/default/original/1X/85a81bf87a6ebb03f202a898ec5133871d79fd52.pdf
Interesting comments on the thread "I was hoping for a TK Max, I was hoping Cineworld would make it a cinema again"
Obv. Cineworld unlikely to take on more debt right now!

Re The Holland Tringham - only in 2018 there was a planning application to demolish and replace with 2 shops with 10 flats above and a rear car park (pdf of refusal notice attached)
No doubt Wetherspoons Watford account geeks could easily overcome the first council objection (pub not demonstrated to be unviable), but one wonders what the balance is now in Lambeth Planning between Conservation and Housing At All Costs - especially the most expensive!

PS - the Capitol Wetherspoons lease - one of the things commercial lease holders are wary of is repairs settlements - whereby the landlord assesses the cost of reinstating the property to its original condition when handed back and makes a claim. Wetherspoons may simply have to protect their position on this as restoring the Capitol could be expensive indeed.
The plan to redevelop the Holland Tringham came from the site freeholder, not from Wetherspoons.

Noise pollution: Residents find illegally-loud vehicles in Streatham every three minutes​

A group of Streatham residents are tackling noise pollution from modified motorbikes and cars using a high-tech microphone crowdfunded by the community.

The results of their summer monitoring project reveal a shocking level of traffic noise which is affecting the physical and mental health of locals, with hundreds of vehicles recorded emitting illegal levels of noise.

Residents monitored traffic in Streatham for a total of 25 hours over the summer months and found over 500 vehicles breaking the law – one every 2.8 minutes. 307 vehicles were recorded making noise above 80 decibels (dB), a ‘harsh sound’ equivalent to standing next to welding equipment – which is 100 times louder than normal human speech (60dB).

Just been through the Elephant and seen that Wetherspoon's refurbishment of the Rockingham Arms is scheduled to last ten weeks! Not reopening until 5 Dec.

Just been through the Elephant and seen that Wetherspoon's refurbishment of the Rockingham Arms is scheduled to last ten weeks! Not reopening until 5 Dec.
It needs a new wooden floor in there - looks an absolute tip.
Apart from that the price point seems now to be be at central London levels.
For top Wetherspoons dollar I recommend the Penderel's Oak in Holborn. Clean , good range of beers and guest ales £4.55.

I took my bike for an MOT this morning to my dealer, opposite Streatham Common. Discovered enroute that Valley Road has become the latest addition to the ever growing myriad of LTN zones in the area. Which I guess would explain the indescribable clusterfuck of a traffic jam I saw all around me. In which buses and even bicycles were being caught up in, bus lanes or not.

Never seen it so bad on a day not influenced by external factors such as roadworks or accidents. Is this now the new normal for the area, even if only at peak times? Because it was a shitshow of massive proportions, and I can't imagine even the most ardent of LTN supporters thinking this is sustainable, tolerable, or even an overall improvement for the wider population and those who commute, live, shop or work on the routes affected if it is a regular occurrence.

It does seem to be the normal since the Streatham Wells LTN came in. Whether it’s the permanent normal or it will calm down as it beds in who knows.

The debate is about as polarised as you would expect.

I took my bike for an MOT this morning to my dealer, opposite Streatham Common. Discovered enroute that Valley Road has become the latest addition to the ever growing myriad of LTN zones in the area. Which I guess would explain the indescribable clusterfuck of a traffic jam I saw all around me. In which buses and even bicycles were being caught up in, bus lanes or not.

Never seen it so bad on a day not influenced by external factors such as roadworks or accidents. Is this now the new normal for the area, even if only at peak times? Because it was a shitshow of massive proportions, and I can't imagine even the most ardent of LTN supporters thinking this is sustainable, tolerable, or even an overall improvement for the wider population and those who commute, live, shop or work on the routes affected if it is a regular occurrence.
There were roadworks at St Leonard's yesterday I think, which won't help. Long story short, too many cars.

It would take longer to extricate the general foul odor of the place if that's their intention.
True. The only Wetherspoons i have been in where twice i have walked into the toilet to find a drunkard clearing up his mess where he has shit on himself and on the floor.

Handy spot when going into Ministry of Sound though.

Back
Top Bottom