Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Streatham news, rumours and general chat

Fuck off.

If your starting place is “he deserved it, I absolutely believe the police have the right and duty to gun a man down in the street, I absolutely believe that the victim deserved to be killed in this way, no further questions“ then there’s no point discussing this with you.
to be fair you're not coming across as one of life's great balanced debaters yourself. so I will leave you to continue telling people to 'fuck off'.

Yes.

The Met don’t have a good record with this, and that is the background against which they must be judged. Given the really shitty history we have with this stuff it’s sensible and measured to allow that this may be yet another terrible mistake.
After so many terrible mistakes it starts to look like policy

That‘s exactly my point.
We don’t know the whole story, we don’t know the details. Absent any solid information, condemning the man with this “live by the sword die by the sword“ stuff is bullshit
Until the police produce some evidence they've actually behaved reasonably here I'll put this in the 'another cop murder' pile

I have to say, that’s my feeling too, but I try to keep an open mind in the hope it might be otherwise.

The problem here is that the 67 is a big ongoing issue locally. Some of their top bosses were sent down a few years ago so the system became unstable. There have been some nasty results locally. It was inevitable that some breakdown would result. Whether or not Chris Kaba was still active is irrelevant to this point. Killing him in the street will have some impact. I’m relieved this didn’t happen during the heatwave.

Based on local rumour, I have some suspicions about what may have happened but it’s pure speculation and not worth mentioning out loud right now. Point is there is local chat, and people are angry.
Some day a real rain will come and wash all the filth off the streets

View attachment 342215

Message received from Friends of Streatham Common on Friday:

It has been met with widespread incredulity.

...do you know who cancelled it, asking because the dog show at kennington park today is also postponed and according to the organisers this was on the advice of Lambeth council,...eta i was not planning to attend anyway as im not a fan of this type of event, and definitely not gonna put my mutt in fancy dress.

...do you know who cancelled it, asking because the dog show at kennington park today is also postponed and according to the organisers this was on the advice of Lambeth council,...eta i was not planning to attend anyway as im not a fan of this type of event, and definitely not gonna put my mutt in fancy dress.
Lambeth did appaently send out a blanket email saying public events should be cancelled but then when our street party organisers called them, they said it was ok to go ahead. Also they sent out the email on Friday so really not giving a lot of notice. .

Lambeth did appaently send out a blanket email saying public events should be cancelled but then when our street party organisers called them, they said it was ok to go ahead. Also they sent out the email on Friday so really not giving a lot of notice. .
thank you...makes me wonder why lambeth even bothered tbh.

Surprised not to see more coverage of this so far

Streatham Free Film Festival runs from 24th September to 5th October
1664032151172.png

Starts tonight with a screening of Dune (the new Denis Villeneuve version, not the David Lynch one, but you can't have everything!)
in The Rookery Gardens, Streatham Common South SW16 3BZ 7.00pm gate for 7.30 film at twilight.​

1664032268923.png

Cut and paste of whole programme below as their website was having security glitches earlier...

24th September 2022

Festival Launch – Dune – Outdoors​

September 24 @ 7:30 pm
The Rookery
Nominated for 10 Academy Awards including Best Picture, Best Cinematography and Best Sound, Denis Villeneuve (Blade Runner 2049) directs Dune: the big-screen adaptation of Frank…
READ MORE

25th September 2022

Top Gun – Outdoors​

September 25 @ 7:30 pm
The Rabbit Hole
“Top Gun is the type of movie that turns the screen into an altar. Kneeling before its slick façade of 1980s magnificence, you are…
READ MORE
26th September 2022

1000 Days – short film plus talks before and Q&A after​

September 26 @ 8:00 pm
Tribe Cafe
You are invited to join us for a very special and emotive evening looking at the issue of youth suicide and bereavement by suicide. The…
READ MORE
27th September 2022

It Happened One Night​

September 27 @ 10:45 am
St. Peter’s Church
It Happened One Night is a 1934 pre-Code American romantic screwball comedy directed by Frank Capra in which a pampered socialite (Claudette Colbert) tries to…
READ MORE
27th September 2022

Flee​

September 27 @ 7:45 pm
Streatham Drop In
FLEE tells the extraordinary true story of a man, Amin, on the verge of marriage which compels him to reveal his hidden past for the…
READ MORE

29th September 2022

Rebel Dread – The Story of Don Letts + DJs​

September 29 @ 7:30 pm
The White Lion Pub
REBEL DREAD is a documentary about the legendary filmmaker, DJ, musician and commentator, Don Letts. The film is led by Don’s archives and stories of…
READ MORE
29th September 2022

Queen of Glory​

September 29 @ 8:00 pm
The Railway
Ghanaian-American Sarah is all set to abandon her Ivy League doctoral program to follow her married lover across the country when her mother dies suddenly…
READ MORE

30th September 2022

Flash Gordon​

September 30 @ 7:45 pm
The Woodfield Project
Classic 80s sci-fi romp Flash Gordon is a bright, pulpy, comic strip style dun film. With a soundtrack by Queen and more Spandex than the…
READ MORE
1st October 2022

Encanto​

October 1 @ 2:00 pm
Streatham Drop In
Walt Disney Animation Studios’ “Encanto” tells the tale of an extraordinary family, the Madrigals, who live hidden in the mountains of Colombia, in a magical…
READ MORE
1st October 2022

The Commitments (Outdoors)+ Post film Band​

October 1 @ 7:30 pm
Pratts & Payne
Jimmy Rabbitte, a self-proclaimed promoter, decides to organize an R&B group to fill the musical void in his hometown of Dublin, Ireland. The band comes…
READ MORE

2nd October 2022

Sing 2​

October 2 @ 2:00 pm
The British Home
The smash-hit family jukebox musical comedy returns! This time around, our intrepid Koala Buster Moon (Matthew McConaughey) and his cast of animal performers prepare to…
READ MORE
02nd October 2022

Belfast​

October 2 @ 5:00 pm
The British Home
A semi-autobiographical film which chronicles the life of a working class family and their young son’s childhood during the tumult of the late 1960s…
READ MORE

4th October 2022

Olga​

October 4 @ 8:00 pm
Spires
Olga excellently played by the real-life Ukrainian gymnast Anastasia Budiashkina, who herself fled to Poland after escaping Kharkiv, is a teenage Ukrainian gymnast who’s living…
READ MORE
5th October 2022

Cabaret (50th anniversary) with pre film entertainment​

October 5 @ 7:00 pm
Streatham Space Project
Regarded as one of the best musicals ever made. Cabaret tells the tory of Sally (played with Oscar winning flare by Liza Minelli) is a…
READ MORE

Anyone here that goes to the (ice) hockey? I've been meaning to go for years and went to a game the other week. Good night out though dangerous when combined with a session at the Earl Ferrers afterwards!

There's a dispersal order for both sides of Streatham Hill, due to anti social behaviour. Not really sure what that means in practice but it appears to be based around the remaining betting shop

Meant to post the other day - Platform 2 at Streatham station can't be accessed from the main ticket hall at the moment. You have to go to platform 1 and up then down the new (flimsy) stairs at the end of the platform.

[Not sure if this should be in the Streatham thread or general Brixton news, but as it is south of the South Circular....]

London Community Land Trust are hosting an event tomorrow (Saturday 3rd December) 12 noon to 2pm at Christ Church, Streatham to provide an update on their plans for "affordable housing" and a "community garden" for the site at the corner of Christchurch Road and Streatham Hill.

More details of the event are on their architects's website

We’d like to hear from you
We want talk to you about our latest proposals. The site proposes a new community garden open to all and community space. We need the local knowledge to ensure the proposal meets the needs of residents. Come along to our “We Did” community engagement event on 3rd December where representatives from London CLT, Community Steering Group and the Design Team will be sharing the latest proposals with you.

I think the site is now owned by the Mayor of London, pending consent for a residential devolopment. My understanding is that it has been in public ownsership since GLC Transport department bought it back in 1960s for a "junction improvement scheme" that would have involved demolishing the Crown & Sceptre and other buildings on south side of Streatham Place to construct an underpass for through South Circular traffic.Christchurch Road nature garden.PNG

I am becoming disoriented with the years - but surely the road labelled "Brixton Hill" above should be "Streatham Hill"

Buzzed: Five more years for #Streatham Business Improvement District with 79% of votes cast in favour of keeping the local business tax Five more years for Streatham Business Improvement District with 79% of votes cast in favour of keeping the local business tax
Good news for the Business Improvement District team and also will ensure some security for all the local events (Streatham Food Festival, Streatham Free Film Festival, The Streatham Festival) that they help to sponsor.

But the turnout among eligible business ratepayers was shockingly low - only 181 out of 492 (36.79%) participated in the ballot.
Does suggest many small businesses not as engaged as they should be???

Reactions: CH1
Good news for the Business Improvement District team and also will ensure some security for all the local events (Streatham Food Festival, Streatham Free Film Festival, The Streatham Festival) that they help to sponsor.

But the turnout among eligible business ratepayers was shockingly low - only 181 out of 492 (36.79%) participated in the ballot.
Does suggest many small businesses not as engaged as they should be???

I think that's quite normal. I took a look at Lambeth's other bids and the highest recent turnout was 49.22 for Station to Station in 2021, 29.61% for Vauxhall One in the same year.

Back
Top Bottom