Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Streatham news, rumours and general chat

Bus catches fire in Streatham Hill. Apols for crap image

View attachment 327629
It was actually Brixton Hill at the Holmewood Road stop. So not Streatham unless you are still wedded to the pre-1965 boundary between the Metropolitan Boroughs of Lambeth and Wandsworth when everything south of Upper Tulse Hill was still in Streatham.

Fairly sure that the 333 bus runs with Dennis Enviro 400H hybrid diesel-electric buses, and the fire looked to be a diesel fuel fire, despite what some conspiraloons were claiming about this being an electric battery powered bus that had spontaneously combusted.

Does anyone know when the council plan to do something about the dire state of the playground at Hillside Gardens park?

Apologies if this is the wrong thread

Does anyone know when the council plan to do something about the dire state of the playground at Hillside Gardens park?

Apologies if this is the wrong thread
No idea but you could ask the local Cllrs or maybe even contact the Friends of Hillside Gardens

No idea but you could ask the local Cllrs or maybe even contact the Friends of Hillside Gardens
I follow the friends group on Instagram but all they post on there is teasers instead of actual updates.

I'll try emailing.

This popped up on "NextDoor LoughboroughJunction" this morning.
Not that Next Door will allow me to join their wretched hype local service as I don't have a mobile - so they can't verify I exist!

The Streatham Hill Theatre has been sold to Ruach City Church.

They were formerly Ruach Ministries - Tony Blair's preferred base for various election launches - and have apparently paid £4million cash from sale of their current Brixton Hill site to a developer of nearby sites, so assume they have greenlight for a residential scheme at Brixton Hill.

Apparently Ruach are also now owners of the similarly vast listed building, the Gaumont State Cinema in Kilburn in that there North London.

Friends of Streatham Hill Theatre Newsletter

The linked video of Ruach's announcement at their Brixton Hill gathering last Sunday is quite something:

Corrected - it is Brixton Hill that would be redeveloped as housing with the church moving to Streatham Hill Theatre

Last edited:
Reactions: CH1

They were formerly Ruach Ministries - Tony Blair's preferred base for various election launches - and have apparently paid £4million cash from sale of their current Brixton Hill site to a developer of nearby sites, so assume they have greenlight for a residential scheme at Streatham Hill.

Apparently Ruach are also now owners of the similarly vast listed building, the Gaumont State Cinema in Kilburn in that there North London.

The linked video of Ruach's announcement at their Brixton Hill gathering last Sunday is quite something:

So sad.

They were formerly Ruach Ministries - Tony Blair's preferred base for various election launches - and have apparently paid £4million cash from sale of their current Brixton Hill site to a developer of nearby sites, so assume they have greenlight for a residential scheme at Brixton Hill.

Corrected - it is Brixton Hill that would be redeveloped as housing with the church moving to Streatham Hill Theatre

Question and a comment
Q Is the developer Lexadon?
C I do recall Chukka at a televised campaign launch in a Ruarch Church - when he was still Labour or New Labour, whatever.

Ah no. But at least that means no more slot machine place maybe?

To be honest, one thing Streatham Hill has in abundance is large and beautiful churches.

Can they really fill such a big venue?

Not sure this move will make sense for anyone in the long run, apart from the sale of their old site obviously making some money for them.

To be honest, one thing Streatham Hill has in abundance is large and beautiful churches.

Not sure this move will make sense for anyone in the long run, apart from the sale of their old site obviously making some money for them.
I think that their Kilburn church in the former Gaumont State Theatre regularly fills both the stalls and circle in what was one of Europe's biggest cinema auditoria, seating over 4000.

Question and a comment
Q Is the developer Lexadon?
C I do recall Chukka at a televised campaign launch in a Ruarch Church - when he was still Labour or New Labour, whatever.
A - Sorry no idea who the Brixton Hill developer is - the pastor mentions it developer of a neighbouring site in video of Sunday's service.

The Blair links with Ruach were before Chuka was campaigning for the Streatham seat. I think the church used to be quite savvy in hosting "inter-denominational" events. Blair came for a high profile conference in Brixton in 2006, and I think he also did an event there during an election campaign?

But they were also happy to hire the Kilburn church to Labour for a Jeremy Corbyn rally in 2016!

The Brixton venue is pretty big and very popular. Worshippers come from all over London to go there. They have several 'sittings' on a Sunday, so I don't think they'll struggle to fill the new one.

The Brixton venue is pretty big and very popular. Worshippers come from all over London to go there. They have several 'sittings' on a Sunday, so I don't think they'll struggle to fill the new one.
Ah ok, it just looked from the photos online that the Brixton venue was quite small. Maybe it's bigger than it looks.

I stand behind my comment that there are really nice churches in the area, but I'm not religious and I guess there's some special appeal to this one for some people.

Not sure I love the idea of people driving from all over and parking in the local streets on Sundays, but oh well.

Ah ok, it just looked from the photos online that the Brixton venue was quite small. Maybe it's bigger than it looks.

I stand behind my comment that there are really nice churches in the area, but I'm not religious and I guess there's some special appeal to this one for some people.

Not sure I love the idea of people driving from all over and parking in the local streets on Sundays, but oh well.
It's like an aircraft hanger inside.
And if you thought the Methodists were bad having three collections in a service "you ain't seen nothing yet!"
Credit card numbers were being taken from visitors in the 1990s pre internet banking.

Re Streatham Hill Theatre the Brixton Bugle/blog has pictures - though the article was written before the Ruarch deal.
1657292547139.png

It's like an aircraft hanger inside.
And if you thought the Methodists were bad having three collections in a service "you ain't seen nothing yet!"
Credit card numbers were being taken from visitors in the 1990s pre internet banking.

US style megachurch and televangelists? If we're going to have thousands every Sunday as well I'm moving away...

When I used to live in Finsbury Park I would always see the UCKG people out and about. Their business model is basically tricking people into thinking that donating all their money to the church will fix their problems.

I really hope these Ruach guys are different. I can't find much info on them online.

When I used to live in Finsbury Park I would always see the UCKG people out and about. Their business model is basically tricking people into thinking that donating all their money to the church will fix their problems.

I really hope these Ruach guys are different. I can't find much info on them online.
You've got to ask where the millions are coming from....

I think Ruach are socially liberal, but gospel of success. So yes - like UCKG being a devoted and generous church member will help your career.
You can be gay if you like - so long as you are a good dancer like Bishop Francis.

If you read UCKG newspapers (which they deliver from time to time in Brixton) they tend to be about drug addiction, depression and homosexuality.
Which can be "cured" by a "chain of prayer" from the Brazilian bishops. At a cost no doubt.

Haven't heard such stuff about Ruach - in fact I know a gay Jamaican who went on a Ruach visit to the Holy Land and was surprised and delighted to find gay bars and clubs in Tel Aviv!

I think Ruach are socially liberal, but gospel of success. So yes - like UCKG being a devoted and generous church member will help your career.
You can be gay if you like - so long as you are a good dancer like Bishop Francis.

If you read UCKG newspapers (which they deliver from time to time in Brixton) they tend to be about drug addiction, depression and homosexuality.
Which can be "cured" by a "chain of prayer" from the Brazilian bishops. At a cost no doubt.

Haven't heard such stuff about Ruach - in fact I know a gay Jamaican who went on a Ruach visit to the Holy Land and was surprised and delighted to find gay bars and clubs in Tel Aviv!
That makes me feel a little bit better!

I just hope they look after the building and treat it with respect.

As in I really hope they don't get a planning application for flats in again and then move down to Croydon and pocket more money or whatever.

Their aiming for a different demographic

Tel Aviv is a strange place. Fun to visit tho.

Back
Top Bottom