Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Streatham news, rumours and general chat

Does anyone know who owns/runs the St Margaret "Hub"?

Jump to the end and you get to the juicy bit about property development. A planning application was just submitted for 8 new houses + 4 flats, adjacent to the church. (Including demolishing of existing church hall)

Is it a genuine charity or community organisation or is it a limited company out to make money? Genuinely not clear from their website or social media.

Jump to the end and you get to the juicy bit about property development. A planning application was just submitted for 8 new houses + 4 flats, adjacent to the church. (Including demolishing of existing church hall)

Is it a genuine charity or community organisation or is it a limited company out to make money? Genuinely not clear from their website or social media.
It is still a part of the Church of England. After a period when it was being managed as a religious community and burned its way through a lot of money on architects and other consultants, the Parochial Church Council was apparently re-registered as a charity in 2020.
Charity Overview for THE PAROCHIAL CHURCH COUNCIL OF THE ECCLESIASTICAL PARISH OF ST MARGARET THE QUEEN, STREATHAM HILL

It is still a part of the Church of England. After a period when it was being managed as a religious community and burned its way through a lot of money on architects and other consultants, the Parochial Church Council was apparently re-registered as a charity in 2020.
Charity Overview for THE PAROCHIAL CHURCH COUNCIL OF THE ECCLESIASTICAL PARISH OF ST MARGARET THE QUEEN, STREATHAM HILL
Ok, thanks. A bit strange that they don't put their charity number on the website.

After spending £1m including lottery funding on refurbishment of the hall, they are now proposing to demolish it to allow new private houses to be built on the site. There is no mention of this in their latest accounts for 2021.

It's not for me to speculate why. Plans can be viewed on Lambeth's planning portal.

Ok, thanks. A bit strange that they don't put their charity number on the website.

After spending £1m including lottery funding on refurbishment of the hall, they are now proposing to demolish it to allow new private houses to be built on the site. There is no mention of this in their latest accounts for 2021.

It's not for me to speculate why. Plans can be viewed on Lambeth's planning portal.

National lottery funding of sizeable amounts is pretty strictly monitored/reported on (I can tell you it's a mountain of paperwork) so one would think that they've been involved/OKed the proposal?

If the eight houses sell for average £1m each then plenty of capital to repay the national lottery loan, I suppose, even after construction costs.

Are you sure the lottery money went on the 1930s church hall? I thought most of the money went on bringing the former choir vestry of the main church- that isn't going to be demolished - back into use.
And I could only find a lottery grant for £500,000 from all lottery sources. Might have had money from National Churches Trust as well?

St Margaret the Queen 2.PNG

St Margaret the Queen.PNG

Are you sure the lottery money went on the 1930s church hall? I thought most of the money went on bringing the former choir vestry of the main church- that isn't going to be demolished - back into use.
And I could only find a lottery grant for £500,000 from all lottery sources. Might have had money from National Churches Trust as well?

View attachment 365338

View attachment 365337
Yes, seems like half came from the lottery.

In the 2021 accounts it shows the new main hall refurb on the same page as a thank you to all the funders. But you're right the money wasn't used exclusively for the main hall(?)

Or maybe I'm completely wrong and the new "main hall" is a different building to the 1930s hall. It's all very unclear.

Yes, seems like half came from the lottery.

In the 2021 accounts it shows the new main hall refurb on the same page as a thank you to all the funders. But you're right the money wasn't used exclusively for the main hall(?)

Or maybe I'm completely wrong and the new "main hall" is a different building to the 1930s hall. It's all very unclear.
What is now being called the "main hall" is a much smaller space within the Victorian building.

There are pics of the 1930s hall (most recently a day nursery) on the Estate Agents website from when it was being marketed last year.

IMG_7226-scaled St Margarets Hall interior.jpgIMG_7224-scaled St Margarets Hall interior.jpg

🪁:cool:🪁Streatham Kite Day is Back on Sunday 14th May! 🪁:cool: 🪁

From Friends of Streatham Common e-newsletter sent on Tuesday but only just seen via Streatham Action on Twitter:

Friends of Streatham Common are pleased to announce that Kite Day is back on 14th May 2023!

Sunday, 14th May will be the long awaited return of Streatham Common Kite Day – probably the largest single community event in Streatham, and all run by volunteers for the Friends of Streatham Common.

After three years off, we want to make 2023 kite day better than ever and we are looking for volunteers to help us on the day, we need just two hours of your time. We need to put together a larger team of volunteers than ever before if we are going to be able hold the event which has grown and become hugely popular. It's even starting to pick up national attention, but as great as this is, the work has grown too!
The newsletter includes more information on how to volunteer.

Last edited:
What is now being called the "main hall" is a much smaller space within the Victorian building.

There are pics of the 1930s hall (most recently a day nursery) on the Estate Agents website from when it was being marketed last year.

View attachment 365364View attachment 365365
Thank you, that clears everything up wonderfully.

It says in the planning docs that the day nursery will be moved to within the church building following the development. (Into the main hall?)

It's a bit sad that the church needs to develop its land into housing to stay funded, but I suppose that's the reality of things. I wonder if any of the housing will be for social rent or if it will be all for sale on the open market?

🪁:cool:🪁Streatham Kite Day is Back on Sunday 14th May! 🪁:cool: 🪁

From Friends of Streatham Common e-newsletter sent on Tuesday just seen via Streatham Action on Twitter:

The newsletter includes more informtion on how to volunteer.
I'll be updating the website as soon as they send me the information on what will be happening on the day.

In my experience the Church of England are pretty ruthless property developers. It's a big fund managed by agents. I recall a discussion about a piece of land which they had purposely separated off from a building. It had been refused planning permission to develop at all. Their surveyors confided that the plan was to abandon it until it became a proper nuisance to all the neighbours so that the neighbours would eventually be begging to allow its development. I pointed out that this might take a very long time to which he replied something along the lines of "We work for the Church. The Church will be here long after the neighbours have gone. They are in no hurry."

I see from Twitter there's major traffic delays on Streatham High Road, around Leigham Court/Streatham Hill Station. Multiple accidents apparently, so let's hope everyone is ok.
The junctions around that area weren't designed in a pedestrian first way. Hope everyone makes a full recovery

The St Margaret's church development has been refused planning permission. Not just one problem but five problems identified by the planning department, so could be back to the drawing board.

Is this why Thameslink trains were cancelled this morning? Loads of people complaining on Twitter - linking it to engineering works at weekends.
Thameslink are getting coy - TFL usually come right out with it "person under train" or whatever.
The formulation that they used was "Following the emergency services dealing with an incident between Streatham and Tulse Hill"

• Sad
Reactions: CH1
The Streatham Food Festival is back next weekend 29th June - 1st July
Cafes and restaurants likely to be frantic with bargain hunters for the food trail. The food fair on Streatham Green on the Saturday may be a bit more chilled.

Could this happen with an electric vehicle?
I heard rumours that multi storey car parks would have to impose restrictions because of weight issues.
Of course it could. EVs are typically about 25% heavier than their ICE equivalent. A rollover like that is down to the angle of the collision and the amount of inertia. An EV might have a slightly lower centre of gravity, depeding on how the battery pack is positioned, but if the speed and angles are right, then you'll get a rollover.

E2A - My wife's car was hit by a Nissan Juke (hybrid, not EV) just over a year ago. The police estimated it must have been doing about 60mph (in a 20mph zone) to have rolled as it did - it was going in the opposite direction to how it ended up. It rolled 2.5 times. My wife was 300 metres from home.

IMG_20190519_194626.jpg

Last edited:
Looking as though rain won't set in until late on Saturday night, so weather for the E.T. screening should be just right.

Closer to Brixton/Tulse Hill, there is an open air screening of King RIchard scheduled for 7.30 Sunday evening in Hillside Gardens.
Look out for social media updates, if thundesrtorms means it has to move to an indoor venue.

1694774266907.png

Back
Top Bottom