Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Looks like there's a new attempt to cut short the 45 bus.

It's the slow cull of buses from walworth road. Because changing bus at elephant and camberwell is super great.

Mr C and Jumping Jack Frost are also on the case.

Hope it works out for them but can't say it looks too promising.
Gwaarn Frost!

Big companies threatening often sole traders/independent shops over name use just boils my (even anarchist) piss! Like this one using the 'Easy' name in quite an amusing way. I mean come the fuck on, no one is mistaking your big global brand and taking away your profits!

Last edited:
Can we sue them back, the US Company, for using the name Brixton? Someone suggested that on their Insta.
How about Brixton Brewery - now apparently moving to Enfield?
"Brixton" California is not taking a pop at Heinecken are they? Although there might be more money to be made by doing that.

Bit of an oddity this "Brixton" isn't it? Brixton Stores & Retailers
2 branches in California, 2 in Spain, 2 in Denmark. 3 in Finland and 11 in Italy. I wonder if they make anything themselves - or is it all hand crafted for them in Bangladesh and Thailand?
brixton outlets.png

I noticed there is a "Brixton" clothing shop at unit 51, Protea Shopping centre, 88 high Street, Brixton Johannesburg.
I wonder is that a branch - or mauybe like our Brixton market shop simply a clothes chop in Brixton (Johannesburg in this case).

One would have thought two cabbies would have the front to take this case in the High Court, representing themselves if necessary.

"I had that Lord Denning in the back of the cab once!"

One would have thought two cabbies would have the front to take this case in the High Court, representing themselves if necessary.
Trade name/copyright disputes usually end up about being who has the most clout and cash rather than the 'rightness' of the case.

And yes, the Brixton Brewery's production will no longer based in Brixton. But profits must be raked in.

I complained about the Brixton Streetwear situation on LinkedIn, and rapidly received this response fro the CEO:

Seth Ellison (He/Him) 11:40 AM

You seem to be interested in this situation so I’m responding personally. I can’t respond in detail because of the lawsuit we were forced to file but the truth is that we’ve co-existed with Brixton Street Wear for years, believing they were doing good things for their community and did not have any real negative impact on our business. Recently they became greedy, starting to sell and ship Internationally, and leveraging our designs. Of course we have to protect our trademarks to avoid consumer confusion, what company wouldn’t? Unfortunately, they’ve decided to try to play the victims here with the media. I’m a believer that the truth prevails eventually. Have a great day, Seth

I complained about the Brixton Streetwear situation on LinkedIn, and rapidly received this response fro the CEO:

You seem to be interested in this situation so I’m responding personally. I can’t respond in detail because of the lawsuit we were forced to file but the truth is that we’ve co-existed with Brixton Street Wear for years, believing they were doing good things for their community and did not have any real negative impact on our business. Recently they became greedy, starting to sell and ship Internationally, and leveraging our designs. Of course we have to protect our trademarks to avoid consumer confusion, what company wouldn’t? Unfortunately, they’ve decided to try to play the victims here with the media. I’m a believer that the truth prevails eventually. Have a great day, Seth
Howe DARE they sell their stuff internationally.

sounds like a right capitalist parasite living off supposed "intellectual property" which is actually unauthorised appropriation.
What exactly is the dividing line when appropriating place names for fashion retail?
Be nice to see these people trying it on with Moscow!

The trademarking of place names is tricky apparently- broad geographical areas or even cities can't be trade marked (eg Wales, Yorkshire, London) but more precise ones can be. I saw an example that Liverpool FC could not trade mark "Liverpool" but that Chelsea FC and Tottenham Hotspur FC could as the words specify a smaller area.
Seems that the California Brixton took its name from "Guns of Brixton" for its streetwear.

Interesting. They are seeking help with legal costs because they are having their trademark challenged by US based "Brixton LLC" - who are primarily a lifestyle clothing brand which is sold in the UK. I'm no expert but suspect that the americans might have a valid claim if they have registered the name here?

Winot ?

The Californian company has been going since 2004. I was slightly surprised that there hasn't been an earlier legal challenge to Brixton Street Wear!
This from 2015:
"The brand name was inspired by punk band The Clash, and from its humble beginnings as a headwear start-up the collection has grown tenfold as has its followers."

In the world of corporate nonsense-speak, you can use the word "we" when you are talking about a company's history even if you only joined as the CEO a few months ago.

The Californian company has been going since 2004. I was slightly surprised that there hasn't been an earlier legal challenge to Brixton Street Wear!
This from 2015:
"The brand name was inspired by punk band The Clash, and from its humble beginnings as a headwear start-up the collection has grown tenfold as has its followers."
The White Horse has been selling Brixton LLCs hats and Ts since the noughties (or, at least, they've had them hung on the walls). I can see why one might suspect that there is an element of immitation.

1725555168241.png

Meet 18-year old local lad Ronaldo Scott who, according to his lawyers, has learning difficulties ...

38199106-9163243-image-a-23_1611063342194.jpg

(Source: as stated in image)

... yesterday at Inner London Crown Court, he was sentenced to 24 months' imprisonment suspended for two years, having pleaded guilty to violent disorder and carrying a prohibited weapon, after filming himself on 'social media' during an "unlicensed music event" on Angell Town estate on 25 June 2020. This was during the national Covid-19-related 'lockdown'. The judge also ordered that he complete a 35 day rehabilitation course and obey an electronically monitored curfew for two months. He was also sentenced to a three year criminal behaviour order. The order means he must not meet others charged in connection with the June party or enter the area of Lambeth and Southwark. It also bans him from carrying a mobile phone not registered in his or his mother's name. At the 'party' he was in possession of an extendable baton which was a stun gun.

(Source: Evening Standard (online), 5 September 2023)

newFile-7.jpg

_130996548_blurredronaldo.jpg

Condolences to the friends and family of the Late Ronaldo Scott (also known as Skengroy)

Any witness or anyone with any information is asked to call police on 101. Please quote CAD3184/04SEP or contact via Twitter @MetCC.

If you prefer to speak to a police officer regarding this incident please call the incident room on 0208 721 4005.

To give information anonymously contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or online at www.crimestoppers-uk.org.

The first anniversary of the end of the short and apparently sorry life of Brixton lad, the Late Ronaldo Scott (also known as Skengroy), was met with fresh appeals from his family and the Metropolitan Police:

Family of man killed in Brixton will 'never recover'

Was someone interesting getting out of HMP Brixton today? Seemed to be quite a lot of excitement around 9am. Police, cameras, spectators :eek:. Everyone looked very cheery!

Yep early release day and it’s probably the closest prison from the News Uk offices. The Times have been interviewing prisoners from Brixton coming out all day and I imagine The Sun will have been doing the same.

Wasn’t today the day early releases to free up space in the prison system started?
Yes, the 60:40 scheme started (replacing the 50:50) so some were let out a month or two early.
Yep early release day and it’s probably the closest prison from the News Uk offices. The Times have been interviewing prisoners from Brixton coming out all day and I imagine The Sun will have been doing the same.
Ah! Of course.
Cheers!

Was someone interesting getting out of HMP Brixton today? Seemed to be quite a lot of excitement around 9am. Police, cameras, spectators :eek:. Everyone looked very cheery!

Steven Quinn may have been the former inmate in question - although he thinks that he will be back soon:

Bookshop popup again in the community space in Myatt's Field North.

Books are still £3 each .... despite inflation she has not raised the prices nor reduced the number of words per book.

On this week through saturday and next week Tuesday through Friday.

editor if this is buzz-worthy would appreciate the mention as before.

disclosure: my partner is the one who does this, to make good books available for cheap to local people.

1726040080479.png

BRIXI HOUSE
redevelopment next to Brixton Mosque

Attachments

• IMG_1407.jpeg
    IMG_1407.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1408.jpeg
    IMG_1408.jpeg
    25.7 KB · Views: 15
Bookshop popup again in the community space in Myatt's Field North.

Books are still £3 each .... despite inflation she has not raised the prices nor reduced the number of words per book.

On this week through saturday and next week Tuesday through Friday.

editor if this is buzz-worthy would appreciate the mention as before.

disclosure: my partner is the one who does this, to make good books available for cheap to local people.

View attachment 442161

Posted this - hope it helps!

Judging by their reviews, Lexadon are one of the worst landlords in Brixton. And they literally have a convicted criminal in charge.

Property developer Gerry Knight & Lexadon fined £175k under Proceeds of Crime Act
Is it Lexadon though?
I looked up the planning applications. Lexadon not mentioned.
In 2021 it mentions Allied Living - which appears to be now wound up.
2023/24 Planning applications mention Max Design architects and Natali building contractors - both of Donacaster.

Maybe you seized on my flippant mention of Lexadon without thinking?
Lexadon's website DOES show a development linked to Brixton Mosque - Gresham Road
This seems to be bedsits built behind the women's part of the mosque several years ago.

I am not sure that 3-5 Gresham Road is owned by or connected to the mosque. It was a children's nursery - given the ownership along there probably a community group in a council building at near zero rent.
The council selling it to Lexadon would make sense - that is what they often do.
What does not make sense is Lexadon abandoning their usual builders and going with firms from Donacaster.
Unless belatedly they are into "levelling up"!

More research required.Max Design.jpg

New post frenzy: the stabbing on CHL the other week was not - strictly speaking - a stabbing. I was talking to one of the attending paramedics earlier - who is also an occasional Albert barman - and he told me the weapon was actually a cordless angle grinder. It was being used to cut a bike lock and the bike owner intervened
Only one defensive wound on the hand, but still nasty.

Back
Top Bottom