Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

New post frenzy: the stabbing on CHL the other week was not - strictly speaking - a stabbing. I was talking to one of the attending paramedics earlier - who is also an occasional Albert barman - and he told me the weapon was actually a cordless angle grinder. It was being used to cut a bike lock and the bike owner intervened
Only one defensive wound on the hand, but still nasty.
A grinding, not a stabbing...

Is it Lexadon though?
I looked up the planning applications. Lexadon not mentioned.
In 2021 it mentions Allied Living - which appears to be now wound up.
2023/24 Planning applications mention Max Design architects and Natali building contractors - both of Donacaster.

Maybe you seized on my flippant mention of Lexadon without thinking?
Lexadon's website DOES show a development linked to Brixton Mosque - Gresham Road
This seems to be bedsits built behind the women's part of the mosque several years ago.

I am not sure that 3-5 Gresham Road is owned by or connected to the mosque. It was a children's nursery - given the ownership along there probably a community group in a council building at near zero rent.
The council selling it to Lexadon would make sense - that is what they often do.
What does not make sense is Lexadon abandoning their usual builders and going with firms from Donacaster.
Unless belatedly they are into "levelling up"!

More research required.View attachment 442198

This 'The council selling it to Lexadon would make sense - that is what they often do.'
Selling-off I would say. If you do any research, please do keep us posted. Lexadon/Gerry Knight is a big piece of .......... (fill with the worst word you can think of as I have used all I know). Thanks

Reactions: CH1
Anyone remember the kid in the Angell Town estate who was knocked off his mum's bike by a Range Rover, then stabbed? He's in a wheelchair. Two of his attackers have been found guilty. He doesn't seem to have any connection with them. There was no motive discussed at the trial. Back-from-the-dead teenager beams as his attackers are found guilty

More detail from the Met: Two convicted after horrific stabbing left completely innocent teenage victim with life-changing injuries

yes i remember the attack happening, but it was not on angell town. henry road is on the fringes of the estate fka myatts field north. kid was very lucky to survive it iirc.

What an absolute catastrophe the unexplained actions of Leon Alan Rashid of Dunheved Road, Thornton Heath and Taiquane Lewis of Kennington Park Road, Kennington, both also apparently members of the Harlem Spartans brought to the lives of young James Bascoe-Smith and his family on 23 February 2021:

Man left in wheelchair by random stabbing now diagnosed with cancer

Help James to continue his rehabilitation

Trade name/copyright disputes usually end up about being who has the most clout and cash rather than the 'rightness' of the case.

And yes, the Brixton Brewery's production will no longer based in Brixton. But profits must be raked in.

I appreciate you always have an angle on Big Beer = Bad and Independent = good but per the statement we have already been brewing beer outside the brewery. In fact since 2021 when we outgrew the site, most recently in Enfield and this move is for the remaining production at Dylan Road and largely driven by success of our business, the lease on the site and sustainability reasons(environmentally, socially and economically).
We also explained that our original brewing site and non production roles will remain(Brixton Station Road) and our support of the community will be unaffected. Ironically this already includes supporting Brixton Street Wear(before this breaking story) and lots of other local causes.

Last edited:
I appreciate you always have an angle on Big Beer = Bad and Independent = good but per the statement we have already been brewing beer outside the brewery. In fact since 2021 when we outgrew the site, most recently in Enfield and this move is for the remaining production at Dylan Road and largely driven by success of our business, the lease on the site and sustainability reasons(environmentally, socially and economically).
We also explained that our original brewing site and non production roles will remain(Brixton Station Road) and our support of the community will be unaffected. Ironically this already includes supporting Brixton Street Wear(before this breaking story) and lots of other local causes.
Hi jezg ,

I have been a great supporter of Brixton Brewery in the past and have only realised that you are moving all the production to a Heineken site through reading this thread.

If I am honest, all Heineken UK output is pure shite. It's more a branding exercise, with an insipid product and a Heineken, Cruzcampo, Red Stripe, Moretti label thrown on. Inevitably they knock 0.1% or 0.2% off the ABV every few years. I haven't been to Jamaica, but the others mentioned taste nothing like their equivalents which are brewed in their NL, Spain, Italy, and tend to lean heavily on a foreign branding, while having come from Edinburgh at the very furthest. I could mention several other foreign brands, but I am most familiar with the above.

Any metric which might be pointed to as success, i.e. volumes sold, brand affinity, is more to do with distribution deals with pub chains and supermarkets, or else misleading packaging, rather than quality.

Are you, and your co-founders, doing anything to ensure that Brixton doesn't fall into this same trap of high volume production, large scale distribution, great branding, but absolute piss at the pump?

Hi jezg ,

I have been a great supporter of Brixton Brewery in the past and have only realised that you are moving all the production to a Heineken site through reading this thread.

If I am honest, all Heineken UK output is pure shite. It's more a branding exercise, with an insipid product and a Heineken, Cruzcampo, Red Stripe, Moretti label thrown on. Inevitably they knock 0.1% or 0.2% off the ABV every few years. I haven't been to Jamaica, but the others mentioned taste nothing like their equivalents which are brewed in their NL, Spain, Italy, and tend to lean heavily on a foreign branding, while having come from Edinburgh at the very furthest. I could mention several other foreign brands, but I am most familiar with the above.

Any metric which might be pointed to as success, i.e. volumes sold, brand affinity, is more to do with distribution deals with pub chains and supermarkets, or else misleading packaging, rather than quality.

Are you, and your co-founders, doing anything to ensure that Brixton doesn't fall into this same trap of high volume production, large scale distribution, great branding, but absolute piss at the pump?
Hi Smick

Thanks for your support and reply. We are moving the remainder of our core beer production(~20%) to Beaverworld in Enfield. This is the most modern brewery in the UK and has been designed to brew great craft beer(lots of dry hopping and whirlpool hops). They also have a state-of-the-art lab and quality programme.

Our brewers also work closely with the teams there(and will continue to do so) to share learnings and ensure the quality and taste of our beers are at least as good as when we brew them in-house. This can take a few brews to dial-in when a beer is first moved due to differences in the equipment but we don't stop tweaking until we are totally happy.

Not once has Heineken ever interfered with our recipes(including ABV) and we've actually added more hops over the last 6 years as our scale means we can source them more cost effectively and ensure we cater to changing consumer tastes.

We are lazer focussed on flavour and consistency and also support our customers so that they can ensure their customers get a great experience too( line cleaning, glassware etc). We also welcome any feedback in case we can do better.

Cheers

Sounds like as part of the sale deal with Heineken, Brixton Brewery employees were given access to some excellent PR training sessions. 'lazer focussed' 😄 - that's the short of shit MP's come out with when they are lying through their teeth.

These Heineken products being mass produced miles away from Brixton might as well be renamed 'Enfield Brewery' in the future.
I also like the fact that they will 'share learnings'.

Hope they take into account all the negative feedback about the draft police guidance from the Dec-Jan consultation. It felt like Braverman wanted the legislation not to be enforced

In the end, why does it actually matter where it's made? In the end it's a chemical process in a controlled factory environment. Even while the beer is made in Brixton, the "Brixton" in the name is really only branding. Nothing about the beer itself is really derived from the location of the brewery.
Well I took this from their website, the PR for their ad campaign in May 2023. I guess they'll embrace and be inspired by the colourful chaos of an industrial estate in Enfield to sell their expensive, even more mass produced beer from now on.

1726729833932.png

There is a lengthy quote from jezg himself in the article gushing about how 'special' Brixton is. I guess things can change pretty fast when you've sold your business to the second biggest brewer in the world.

Last edited:

Hopefully see this on Brixton Hill
Time to get my chalk out again - should just about fit on the pavement:
"From 31st October safe access buffer zones will make it illegal for anyone to do anything that intentionally or recklessly influences someone’s decision to use abortion services, obstructs them, or causes harassment or distress to someone using or working at these premises. Anyone found guilty of breaking the law will *face an unlimited fine.”

Back
Top Bottom