Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

New post frenzy: the stabbing on CHL the other week was not - strictly speaking - a stabbing. I was talking to one of the attending paramedics earlier - who is also an occasional Albert barman - and he told me the weapon was actually a cordless angle grinder. It was being used to cut a bike lock and the bike owner intervened
Only one defensive wound on the hand, but still nasty.
A grinding, not a stabbing...

Is it Lexadon though?
I looked up the planning applications. Lexadon not mentioned.
In 2021 it mentions Allied Living - which appears to be now wound up.
2023/24 Planning applications mention Max Design architects and Natali building contractors - both of Donacaster.

Maybe you seized on my flippant mention of Lexadon without thinking?
Lexadon's website DOES show a development linked to Brixton Mosque - Gresham Road
This seems to be bedsits built behind the women's part of the mosque several years ago.

I am not sure that 3-5 Gresham Road is owned by or connected to the mosque. It was a children's nursery - given the ownership along there probably a community group in a council building at near zero rent.
The council selling it to Lexadon would make sense - that is what they often do.
What does not make sense is Lexadon abandoning their usual builders and going with firms from Donacaster.
Unless belatedly they are into "levelling up"!

More research required.View attachment 442198

This 'The council selling it to Lexadon would make sense - that is what they often do.'
Selling-off I would say. If you do any research, please do keep us posted. Lexadon/Gerry Knight is a big piece of .......... (fill with the worst word you can think of as I have used all I know). Thanks

Reactions: CH1
Anyone remember the kid in the Angell Town estate who was knocked off his mum's bike by a Range Rover, then stabbed? He's in a wheelchair. Two of his attackers have been found guilty. He doesn't seem to have any connection with them. There was no motive discussed at the trial. Back-from-the-dead teenager beams as his attackers are found guilty

More detail from the Met: Two convicted after horrific stabbing left completely innocent teenage victim with life-changing injuries

yes i remember the attack happening, but it was not on angell town. henry road is on the fringes of the estate fka myatts field north. kid was very lucky to survive it iirc.

What an absolute catastrophe the unexplained actions of Leon Alan Rashid of Dunheved Road, Thornton Heath and Taiquane Lewis of Kennington Park Road, Kennington, both also apparently members of the Harlem Spartans brought to the lives of young James Bascoe-Smith and his family on 23 February 2021:

Man left in wheelchair by random stabbing now diagnosed with cancer

Help James to continue his rehabilitation

Trade name/copyright disputes usually end up about being who has the most clout and cash rather than the 'rightness' of the case.

And yes, the Brixton Brewery's production will no longer based in Brixton. But profits must be raked in.

I appreciate you always have an angle on Big Beer = Bad and Independent = good but per the statement we have already been brewing beer outside the brewery. In fact since 2021 when we outgrew the site, most recently in Enfield and this move is for the remaining production at Dylan Road and largely driven by success of our business, the lease on the site and sustainability reasons(environmentally, socially and economically).
We also explained that our original brewing site and non production roles will remain(Brixton Station Road) and our support of the community will be unaffected. Ironically this already includes supporting Brixton Street Wear(before this breaking story) and lots of other local causes.

Last edited:
I appreciate you always have an angle on Big Beer = Bad and Independent = good but per the statement we have already been brewing beer outside the brewery. In fact since 2021 when we outgrew the site, most recently in Enfield and this move is for the remaining production at Dylan Road and largely driven by success of our business, the lease on the site and sustainability reasons(environmentally, socially and economically).
We also explained that our original brewing site and non production roles will remain(Brixton Station Road) and our support of the community will be unaffected. Ironically this already includes supporting Brixton Street Wear(before this breaking story) and lots of other local causes.
Hi jezg ,

I have been a great supporter of Brixton Brewery in the past and have only realised that you are moving all the production to a Heineken site through reading this thread.

If I am honest, all Heineken UK output is pure shite. It's more a branding exercise, with an insipid product and a Heineken, Cruzcampo, Red Stripe, Moretti label thrown on. Inevitably they knock 0.1% or 0.2% off the ABV every few years. I haven't been to Jamaica, but the others mentioned taste nothing like their equivalents which are brewed in their NL, Spain, Italy, and tend to lean heavily on a foreign branding, while having come from Edinburgh at the very furthest. I could mention several other foreign brands, but I am most familiar with the above.

Any metric which might be pointed to as success, i.e. volumes sold, brand affinity, is more to do with distribution deals with pub chains and supermarkets, or else misleading packaging, rather than quality.

Are you, and your co-founders, doing anything to ensure that Brixton doesn't fall into this same trap of high volume production, large scale distribution, great branding, but absolute piss at the pump?

Hi jezg ,

I have been a great supporter of Brixton Brewery in the past and have only realised that you are moving all the production to a Heineken site through reading this thread.

If I am honest, all Heineken UK output is pure shite. It's more a branding exercise, with an insipid product and a Heineken, Cruzcampo, Red Stripe, Moretti label thrown on. Inevitably they knock 0.1% or 0.2% off the ABV every few years. I haven't been to Jamaica, but the others mentioned taste nothing like their equivalents which are brewed in their NL, Spain, Italy, and tend to lean heavily on a foreign branding, while having come from Edinburgh at the very furthest. I could mention several other foreign brands, but I am most familiar with the above.

Any metric which might be pointed to as success, i.e. volumes sold, brand affinity, is more to do with distribution deals with pub chains and supermarkets, or else misleading packaging, rather than quality.

Are you, and your co-founders, doing anything to ensure that Brixton doesn't fall into this same trap of high volume production, large scale distribution, great branding, but absolute piss at the pump?
Hi Smick

Thanks for your support and reply. We are moving the remainder of our core beer production(~20%) to Beaverworld in Enfield. This is the most modern brewery in the UK and has been designed to brew great craft beer(lots of dry hopping and whirlpool hops). They also have a state-of-the-art lab and quality programme.

Our brewers also work closely with the teams there(and will continue to do so) to share learnings and ensure the quality and taste of our beers are at least as good as when we brew them in-house. This can take a few brews to dial-in when a beer is first moved due to differences in the equipment but we don't stop tweaking until we are totally happy.

Not once has Heineken ever interfered with our recipes(including ABV) and we've actually added more hops over the last 6 years as our scale means we can source them more cost effectively and ensure we cater to changing consumer tastes.

We are lazer focussed on flavour and consistency and also support our customers so that they can ensure their customers get a great experience too( line cleaning, glassware etc). We also welcome any feedback in case we can do better.

Cheers

Sounds like as part of the sale deal with Heineken, Brixton Brewery employees were given access to some excellent PR training sessions. 'lazer focussed' 😄 - that's the short of shit MP's come out with when they are lying through their teeth.

These Heineken products being mass produced miles away from Brixton might as well be renamed 'Enfield Brewery' in the future.
I also like the fact that they will 'share learnings'.

Hope they take into account all the negative feedback about the draft police guidance from the Dec-Jan consultation. It felt like Braverman wanted the legislation not to be enforced

In the end, why does it actually matter where it's made? In the end it's a chemical process in a controlled factory environment. Even while the beer is made in Brixton, the "Brixton" in the name is really only branding. Nothing about the beer itself is really derived from the location of the brewery.
Well I took this from their website, the PR for their ad campaign in May 2023. I guess they'll embrace and be inspired by the colourful chaos of an industrial estate in Enfield to sell their expensive, even more mass produced beer from now on.

1726729833932.png

There is a lengthy quote from jezg himself in the article gushing about how 'special' Brixton is. I guess things can change pretty fast when you've sold your business to the second biggest brewer in the world.

Last edited:

Hopefully see this on Brixton Hill
Time to get my chalk out again - should just about fit on the pavement:
"From 31st October safe access buffer zones will make it illegal for anyone to do anything that intentionally or recklessly influences someone’s decision to use abortion services, obstructs them, or causes harassment or distress to someone using or working at these premises. Anyone found guilty of breaking the law will *face an unlimited fine.”

Sounds like as part of the sale deal with Heineken, Brixton Brewery employees were given access to some excellent PR training sessions. 'lazer focussed' 😄 - that's the short of shit MP's come out with when they are lying through their teeth.

These Heineken products being mass produced miles away from Brixton might as well be renamed 'Enfield Brewery' in the future.
Unfortunately not, my replies are completely unfiltered; like the beer. And I'm a founder, not employee.

There is a lengthy quote from @jezg himself in the article gushing about how 'special' Brixton is. I guess things can change pretty fast when you've sold your business to the second biggest brewer in the world.
Change in what way? It's only the remaining production moving, not the business, including our original arch brewery and taproom. Sounds like you're a bit green too. Did u even read my statement?

Time to get my chalk out again - should just about fit on the pavement:
"From 31st October safe access buffer zones will make it illegal for anyone to do anything that intentionally or recklessly influences someone’s decision to use abortion services, obstructs them, or causes harassment or distress to someone using or working at these premises. Anyone found guilty of breaking the law will *face an unlimited fine.”

The draft guidance recommended large signs at the boundary

Agree, there is not really any "terroir" in beer. There is No Such Thing as Terroir in Beer — Pellicle
A while ago I visited the Talisker distillery where, in the visitor centre, much was made of how they still took their water from the stream running down the hillside.

I later learnt that they ship their whisky out as a kind of concentrate, to an industrial estate somewhere near glasgow, where presumably the water added is not from a highland burn.

Agree, there is not really any "terroir" in beer. There is No Such Thing as Terroir in Beer — Pellicle
I suppose if the drinkers of McEwans Champion had discerned any "terroir" we might have heard - since it's been brewed in Edinburgh - passed through the hands of Heineken, Wells & Young and now Marston-Carlsberg.
So now brewed perhaps in Bedford - or was that Wolverhampton or Burton on Trent?
In any event McEwans Champion is sufficiently "warming" (head-banging?) that drinkers may not notice minor local effects on taste.

Similar effect I venture to suggest with "craft beers" including Brixton Brewery beers.
The heavy hopping of ales is refreshing to my palate at least - much like my memory of freshly squeezed oranges in New Delhi - where curry powder is added to "liven it up"!
There are worse things than out-of-area local beers. Budweiser© to name but one!

If you go to Tesco, you can buy Staropramen which is brewed in Burton on Trent. Get it from Lidl, and it is brewed in Prague.

The Lidl stuff is much nicer than Tesco, even though the bottles are indistinguishable to the likes of me. I have a friend who understands these things and he did a blind taste test with me. I am told that the reason for the difference is because Burton on Trent has hard water, which suited Bass making an ale, but is unsuited to a lager, such as Staropramen. I always felt that a terroir is something more spiritual than simply the quality of water being used.

The truth is that a global brewing conglomerate has bought over Staropramen brewery, and care little for the quality of the product, only the name and the distribution, and they're manufacturing it somewhere unsuited to manufacture of that product. I now do my best to buy beers which are made whose branding matches their place of manufacture, so no Ashai, Red Stripe, Heineken. My eyes lit up when I saw Pabst Blue Ribbon recently, time to get my inner South Park on, then realised that it is made by Brewdog in Scotland. It is so hard to buy beers which are where they purport to come from.

I think that the popularity of Brixton beers is due to their distribution, Heineken putting them in all the pubs they supply, then citing that volume of sales as justification of moving the production away from Brixton is just further corporatisation and has no merit at all in terms of quality. You could put piss in a bottle, have Heineken distribute it, and you would fail to cope with demand, given the footfall in their pubs.

I would definitely prefer it if Brixton, as a successful business, would remain locally, employing people who will then spend their earnings in other local businesses, whose employees do the same. I am disappointed in the shift of Brixton brewery production. I used to call in to the arch on a Saturday, have a chat with Mike, he would let me try a sample of something, give me a bit of a discount. So I am coming at this from someone who was truly invested in the brewery as a customer.

But then again, I am just a prick on the internet with an opinion. People with much more to lose have lost more to corporate breweries than I ever have or will.

I think that the popularity of Brixton beers is due to their distribution, Heineken putting them in all the pubs they supply, then citing that volume of sales as justification of moving the production away from Brixton is just further corporatisation and has no merit at all in terms of quality. You could put piss in a bottle, have Heineken distribute it, and you would fail to cope with demand, given the footfall in their pubs.

I would definitely prefer it if Brixton, as a successful business, would remain locally, employing people who will then spend their earnings in other local businesses, whose employees do the same. I am disappointed in the shift of Brixton brewery production. I used to call in to the arch on a Saturday, have a chat with Mike, he would let me try a sample of something, give me a bit of a discount. So I am coming at this from someone who was truly invested in the brewery as a customer.
Sorry but the assertion of quality being reduced/recipes changed etc just isn't true in my experience. In fact it's the opposite. If you read our statement it'll explain the real reasons we are moving our remaining production, but keeping all other parts of the business in Brixton; I've explained them here too, earlier in the thread.

Also come down to the arch sometime and Mike or I can tell you first hand.

Sorry but the assertion of quality being reduced/recipes changed etc just isn't true in my experience. In fact it's the opposite. If you read our statement it'll explain the real reasons we are moving our remaining production, but keeping all other parts of the business in Brixton; I've explained them here too, earlier in the thread.

Also come down to the arch sometime and Mike or I can tell you first hand.
I’m having difficulty understanding that. Are you saying that, in your experience, those beers that have production shifted, for example Staropramen, don’t have any difference in quality or recipe, it’s actually the opposite?

I don’t get what the opposite of staying the same is. And I definitely believe that corporate breweries which make multiple products in the same site, particularly foreign brands brewed in the UK for the UK market, are inferior to the products in their home market.

Think of your marketing mix, 4ps, product is given the least consideration.

As for Brixton brewery, I’ve no idea what will happen to the product. I wish that the Brixton brewery was employing people locally instead of in Enfield.

More on Lexadon scum. I have friends living at The Quadrangle in Herne Hill. Yesterday morning, part of the balustrade of the building collapsed. Nobody from
Lexadon came to check or do anything to make the structure safer, everything is still completely dangerous. They have called Lambeth to report a dangerous structure. Jerry Knight/Lexadon has been warned many times of the dangers, they have photos, films and plenty of emails to prove. Someone should really investigate this crook. They are again managing to get away with doing nothing. Luckily nobody got hurt this time but it can easily happen.

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom