Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Streatham news, rumours and general chat

Art & Craft, the poncey beer sellers, are opening a new bigger shop on Streatham High Road. Don't know when it's opening but it'll be down the dip a few shops past Streatham Green. The selection of tasty, locally brewed beers they offer is outstanding but their prices are more than a bit silly. My advice to these people: only sell beers in 500ml bottles (none of this 330ml lunacy) and get your bleedin' prices down.

Art & Craft, the poncey beer sellers, are opening a new bigger shop on Streatham High Road. Don't know when it's opening but it'll be down the dip a few shops past Streatham Green. The selection of tasty, locally brewed beers they offer is outstanding but their prices are more than a bit silly. My advice to these people: only sell beers in 500ml bottles (none of this 330ml lunacy) and get your bleedin' prices down.

Is that replacing the small one near the station or expanding?

Craft Beer and Urban Art? Hipster jackpot!

I assume this is a replacement. It'll be several times bigger than the existing one and in a much more prominent location. Only noticed it today when walking past but it's quite a way off being ready.

All the suggestions from their Twitter feed are that the branch in the Dip is in addition to the existing Streatham Hill and West Norwood branches. There is also going to be a branch at Surrey Street in Croydon.

That part of the High Road (the dip) is gentrifying at a really fast rate, that Brickwood Café (the posh yellow painted one) opened up down there the other month. I hope some of those Somalian run Cafe's don't get affected as they bring a bit of lively character to that area.

I do hope the Art & Craft place does well, I'm not a massive Craft Beer fan myself so can't say I will be using the shop much but I do vaguely know one of the owners as he use to own Perfect Blend many years ago, is Streatham bred and is a nice guy who seems to be doing very well with his Art & Craft business.

I'm looking forward to this place opening next year, the new Streatham Space Project theatre. It's already built, it's at the back of the new Megabowl flats development on Streatham Hill.

Join Us

Im confused- that police station has been a guardianship scheme for over 2 years, i have friends who live there. Everything and anything police related has long gone.

Im confused- that police station has been a guardianship scheme for over 2 years, i have friends who live there. Everything and anything police related has long gone.
New-police-base.jpg

The latest row is about the loss of the public "front counter" service at the "Streatham Police Base" in the dip that replaced the former Police Station. Since 14 December, the recently refitted building will now just be used by the neighbourhood police teams with no routine public access.

The public counter at Kennington Police Station closed on the same day.

Hadn't been to an Aldi before last week but have now been to the Streatham one several times. Well lit and a good comfortably spaced layout (unlike the dingy, cramped Morrisons that was there before). Many items are half or two thirds of the price that you'd pay in Tesco or Sainsburys for something of comparable quality. I'll be visiting once or twice a week from now on. Can't see the overpriced Marks & Spencer next door lasting long.

Went into Aldi on Saturday - bought maple syrup and wine and more wine.
Aldi is great for cheap quality wine.

I like that corner now.
The GYM is FUCKING AMAZING.
M&S is great for deserts.

Only gripe is that corner entrance to the gym and car park is poorly lit at night.

You have to pay £22.50 for this shit! Wow...surely people don't fall for this? :D
For these terminally bored people, simple, basic pleasures are never enough. They can't enjoy the quiet mediation and concentration of life drawing: they have to hipster it up with fucking bubbles and nibbles to make it Instagrammable and something they can share on Facebook to show just how wild their lives are.

Hadn't been to an Aldi before last week but have now been to the Streatham one several times. Well lit and a good comfortably spaced layout (unlike the dingy, cramped Morrisons that was there before). Many items are half or two thirds of the price that you'd pay in Tesco or Sainsburys for something of comparable quality. I'll be visiting once or twice a week from now on. Can't see the overpriced Marks & Spencer next door lasting long.
I went today. Was easy to get to (on a train-enabled travel pass) from Loughborough Junction. 10 minutes each way.

The layout is kind of Bauhaus compared with Lidl. The eye-level fridges containing ice-cream etc was very tempting compared to Lidl's rummaging around in floor-standing freezer cabinets.

I was interested in the bottled beers, and it seems in the ale section the beers are pretty much as Lidl, except that Lidl's are made by Shepherd Neame in Faversham, whereas Aldi's are Marstons from the Midlands - but have more enticing lables. The quality and price between the Lidl and Aldi versions is virtually identical - £1.19 being the standard price for both.

The turn-off for me was when waiting on the platform for my train back home I spotted that the coffee, which was marked as £1.39 on the shelf had been charged to me at £1.49

I find this sort of thing annoying - and it wouldn't normally happen at Lidl, because mostly people use self-service checkouts, so you would see the price when you scanned it.

Aldi don't have self-service checkouts - and their screen showing the items scanned are tablet format with small print positioned for the benefit of the till operator, not the customer.

My advice, if you worry about being charged correctly, is check your receipt before leaving the shop.

Final point - Marks & Spencers looked to be thriving - at least in their café - at 3 pm on a Friday afternoon.

The A23 has been closed for over a week now, S of Leigham Court Rd, due to a collapsed sewer near Gleneldon / Shrubbery. The buses are doing a huge diversion all the way to Streatham Common North (not cutting down valley Rd - which would quickly become gridlocked, obv) and then back northwards up the A23 to St Leonards etc. This will go on for another week. (At least) Pockets of chaos all over the place!

This is one reason I have not yet been to the exciting new Aldi. Can't face the bus trip, or the walk in the rain.

The A23 has been closed for over a week now, S of Leigham Court Rd, due to a collapsed sewer near Gleneldon / Shrubbery. The buses are doing a huge diversion all the way to Streatham Common North (not cutting down valley Rd - which would quickly become gridlocked, obv) and then back northwards up the A23 to St Leonards etc. This will go on for another week. (At least) Pockets of chaos all over the place!

This is one reason I have not yet been to the exciting new Aldi. Can't face the bus trip, or the walk in the rain.
You could take the train from Tulse Hill, just one stop...

Back
Top Bottom