Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Streatham news, rumours and general chat

I must go back soon. I had the kids with me the last time and they were running around like lunatics so I couldn’t enjoy it properly. I did manage to get a load of reduced stuff from Waitrose yesterday though so I don’t need much grub.

I am excited by a Bauhaus influenced Aldi!

You may be slightly disappointed!

But yes, the new Aldi is certainly much lighter and airier than the Streatham Lidl - which is always a thoroughly soul destroying space with queues whatever time of day or night you visit.

You may be slightly disappointed!

But yes, the new Aldi is certainly much lighter and airier than the Streatham Lidl - which is always a thoroughly soul destroying space with queues whatever time of day or night you visit.
It's by fsr the cleanest, tidiest and airiest of all the Aldis (and Lidls) I've been to in this country. It reminds me of the Lidls you see in the Continent (well, Spain at least), which are so much bigger and better stocked than those here.

It is disturbing to learn that an as yet unnamed 19-year-old young man was stabbed to death this afternoon in Hopton Road near Streatham station and pronounced dead at the scene at 4.39 p.m.

Condolences to his family.

It is disturbing to learn that an as yet unnamed 19-year-old young man was stabbed to death this afternoon in Hopton Road near Streatham station and pronounced dead at the scene at 4.39 p.m.

Condolences to his family.

Yeah it's sad, I have just been reading about it on the Evening Standard website. It was pretty much in broad daylight so to speak.

There has been a bit of trouble around that part of Streatham for a while now, IIRC, there was a couple of stabbings round there in the Summer, well one of them was on Madeira Road I think which is off Hopton Road.

Yeah it's sad, I have just been reading about it on the Evening Standard website. It was pretty much in broad daylight so to speak.

There has been a bit of trouble around that part of Streatham for a while now, IIRC, there was a couple of stabbings round there in the Summer, well one of them was on Madeira Road I think which is off Hopton Road.

Really sad, ironically 2 mins away from where they just closed a police station.

Really sad, ironically 2 mins away from where they just closed a police station.

It seems the stabbing wasn't in Hopton Road, and the instant commentary on it being part of a broader pattern of street crime are misplaced. The stabbing happened inside a house, and the victim stumbled out into the street.

Still makes it an awful, tragic end to a young life.

This is the Late Sabri Chibani, who was stabbed to death in Streatham on 11 February 2018 ...

Sabri-Chibani.jpg

... the 19-year old Italian, who came to the UK to find work a few months earlier, was found collapsed in Hopton Road at around 3.50pm that day. He was pronounced dead at the scene at 4.39pm and a post-mortem examination gave his cause death as an incised wound to the chest.

Detectives believe he was attacked inside a property in Hopton Road before he made his way outside.

The teenager’s father Munir has told how he first thought his son had died in a road accident.

“I am destroyed,” he told Italian news site Blitz Quotidiano. “Sabri was a boy who everyone loved.”

Mr Chibani’s friends also paid tribute to the “easygoing and friendly” teenager, describing how he “never had any problems with anybody”.

Nadir Ayoub, 21, who used to catch the school bus with Mr Chibani, told the Evening Standard: “We want to know what happened. We are tormented by this news. We are trying to understand it.

“The family is totally destroyed, they cannot understand it. Sabri was not the type to ever go looking for trouble. I have known him for 10 years, he never insulted or made fun of anyone.”

Mr Chibani, a former youth team football player whose family migrated to Italy from Tunisia, grew up in Piacenza, a city 70km south-west of Milan in northern Italy.

Mr Ayoub, who lived in the same block as Mr Chibani, added: “When he went to London he said, ‘Don’t worry, we will see each other again soon’. He saw a great future for himself there.”

Another childhood friend said: “I am really angry. At first they said it was an accident, then I read the newspapers and was shocked to see how he died.

“His father is heartbroken — his mother is even worse. I have been there to comfort the family but they have returned to Tunisia now.”

Mr Chibani graduated from the Marconi Industrial Technical Institute last year with a diploma in electronics.

He followed his brother to London in November in search of a job and was said to be working as a bar tender at the time of his death.

A 23-year-old man was arrested at the scene. Ronny Padilla, of Hopton Road, Streatham, was charged with murder on 13 February 2018.

Padilla is due to stand trial at the Old Bailey on 2 July 2018.

Anyone who has any information that could assist police, call the incident room on 020 8721 4005 or 101, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

God, I hate inane crap

Exhibit Bars – the ‘youth club for adults’ in South London – is bringing Soho down south with the appointment of Adrian Watters as Executive Chef. Adrian was previously Head Chef of Soho House group in both New York and London. His new menu is about to be rolled out across Exhibit venues.

Expect global grazing plates, burgers that send juices down your arm, and killer Sunday roasts that come with unlimited homemade roasties and yorkies.... yes, UNLIMITED!

GarveyLives Excuse me for saying but your contributions seem rather ghoulish.

There is goodness everywhere we look but all you ever talk about is murder.

I think Garveylives is trying to make a point, but just doing it badly.

Switch on bbclondon radio any morning and it is filled with murder and violence.......but at least they are in encouraging a dicussion and not just reporting all the grim details without further comment.

The new Marks & Spencer foodhall in Streatham Hill is now open (where the bowling alley used to be). Not my cup of tea but may be of interest to those within reach.

And their fake Baileys it’s almost every bit as good as the real thing and amazing value at £3.75 or so (vs £16 for the real thing).

Does 'partial demolition' mean that the pub will close?

It's a lovely looking boozer. Surely they can't flatten that?

Not sure, can't seem to find any more info on it. And I agree, such a nice building. What with the Crown and Sceptre being up for sale and this potentially being demolished its not looking good for Spoons near me!

Must mean the pub would close as the application seeks to create two shops on the site where there are currently none. Only drank in there a few times but will miss it as it's the best place to nip in for a piss if I can't hold on 'til I get home.

It's a decent boozer, one of a few remaining "Spoons" in the area that genuinely attracts a decent mixed crowd, I'm sad to see this place go...and never knew it was going.

It's a decent boozer, one of a few remaining "Spoons" in the area that genuinely attracts a decent mixed crowd, I'm sad to see this place go...and never knew it was going.
Has there been no local campaign to stir up interest?

Not that I've heard of. I'm not sure people know whats happening. Online application has been updated with the documents, seems the lease the pub has is up so the owner thinks he'll make more money from 2 shops and some flats. Lots of chat about how there's hardly any of the original building left.

Not that I've heard of. I'm not sure people know whats happening. Online application has been updated with the documents, seems the lease the pub has is up so the owner thinks he'll make more money from 2 shops and some flats. Lots of chat about how there's hardly any of the original building left.
If anyone wants to put together an article/appeal about the pub's future, I'd gladly run it in Brixton Buzz. There's still plenty of time to lodge objections but we'll have to move fast!

I have not seen or heard of any...this is the first time I heard of it and I am quite shocked to be honest.

I haven't been in there for a couple of months but I know a couple of regulars, one of my neighbours is a regular and he's never mentioned anything about it closing, kind of surprised as he practically lives in there.

Like what Katy F has stated, I'm not so sure people know.

Back
Top Bottom