Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Streatham news, rumours and general chat

What's this pub like? I like the look of its mad makeover:
The Rabbit Hole Pub Streatham.
Really odd. Can be rammed or deserted, has pool and darts (possibly table football as well?) and lots of quirky furniture but they ramp up the music as the evenings go on so you can't hold a conversation after about 9:00. From recollection they don't have any real ales and the keg beers are around the £5 mark. Garden is huge and great for kids, I'm told. Probably better daytimes than weekend evenings, but I've only been there in the evenings.

I like it, but I liked it as the Greyhound as well. Very large pub which can feel deserted at times but the garden is good. Pricey and sometimes the beer is a little off but owners are nice and there's a lovely cat that lives there.

I like this place too, it's so quirky. I have been a couple of times, it's a perfect spot on sunny days in the afternoon, the kids love it too!

As others have said...sometimes it's packed and other times it's deserted...kind of part of the charm of the place I suppose.

A new Burger joint on Mitcham Lane opposite the Manor Arms pub called Streatham Kitchen. It's run by the Roti Brothers, they have a place under this name in Balham so I hear. Has anybody tried it out yet?

One for the big meat eaters by the looks of the menu.

Morrish Road is off Brixton Hill, not Streatham Hill - what the fuck do they know anyway.

Interesting that they are pitching this as Streatham - would have thought buyers of studio flats more interested in connections to Brixton tube. But strictly speaking. Morrish Road is historically the northernmost street in Streatham on that side of Brixton Hill (parish markers used to be on the side wall of the former Cloutings bakery on New Park Road). The widening of Streatham Place to a dual carriageway for the South Circular in 1960s made it the de facto boundary between Brixton and Streatham and has been the ward boundary since c.1979(?).

The address is deceptive - access seems to be from Rodmill Lane at the back which used to be all car repair shops, and a hangout for some local drinkers who had been moved on from elsewhere.

Interesting that they are pitching this as Streatham - would have thought buyers of studio flats more interested in connections to Brixton tube. But strictly speaking. Morrish Road is historically the northernmost street in Streatham on that side of Brixton Hill (parish markers used to be on the side wall of the former Cloutings bakery on New Park Road). The widening of Streatham Place to a dual carriageway for the South Circular in 1960s made it the de facto boundary between Brixton and Streatham and has been the ward boundary since c.1979(?).

The address is deceptive - access seems to be from Rodmill Lane at the back which used to be all car repair shops, and a hangout for some local drinkers who had been moved on from elsewhere.
I lived in Morrish Road on the corner of Sulina Road for over 25 years. I knew a guy who had one of those shoeboxes on Rodmill Lane. His was the one at the end on the corner and I think it was slightly larger. It certainly had more windows. It was very cheap back then. But in those days estate agents called anything as far down the hill as the prison as Streatham Hill. Brixton was a real no-go area as far as they were concerned. How times have changed!

I always found it strange that Morrish Road is pitched as Streatham Hill. I lived on that street briefly years ago and everyone from down in Brixton Proper said that area was Streatham Hill, strange seeing as it's off Brixton Hill. That top stretch of Brixton Hill and the streets off it feel very disconnected from Brixton Proper, it is also closer to Streatham Hill train station than Brixton tube station IIRC.

Don't post up much on this thread. But this radio program on today reminded me of Streatham.

When I first came to London had bedsit in Streatham. House owned by old Polish guy. He used to tell me what I thought then were tall tales of being exiled to Siberia escaping to Iran and coming here to fight in British forces. He used to get visits from Polish Eagle club.

I didn't really believe it then.

Then when Poles came here with EU enlargement years later learnt more of Polish history. Realised my old Polish landlord wasn't telling tall tales.

BBC Radio 4 - Still Here: A Polish Odyssey

This programme is well worth a listen.

Poles played significant part in defeating Hitler and Fascism.

Yet ignorant Brexiters see Poles as recent immigrants who have no p!ace here. Like Kate Hoey.

Some non-news coming up. Streatham has an entry in this year's 'Carbunkle Cup', an award given by pretentious architecture types to buildings that don't meet their high-falutin' tastes. The building in question is a new house at 20 Ambleside Avenue (just by the junction with Mitcham Lane) and can be seen about half-way down on the link below. I've walked past the building many times and, personally speaking, I reckon it's a beauty (the photo doesn't do it justice). I'm not sure but think there was a single story, flat roof mock Tudor effort there before but that might be my imagination. Whatever was there before, this is an adventurous improvement so the carbunkle police have got it wrong this time.

Carbuncle Cup: six vie for title of UK's ugliest new building of year

Some non-news coming up. Streatham has an entry in this year's 'Carbunkle Cup', an award given by pretentious architecture types to buildings that don't meet their high-falutin' tastes. The building in question is a new house at 20 Ambleside Avenue (just by the junction with Mitcham Lane) and can be seen about half-way down on the link below. I've walked past the building many times and, personally speaking, I reckon it's a beauty (the photo doesn't do it justice). I'm not sure but think there was a single story, flat roof mock Tudor effort there before but that might be my imagination. Whatever was there before, this is an adventurous improvement so the carbunkle police have got it wrong this time.

Carbuncle Cup: six vie for title of UK's ugliest new building of year
I can see why its been nominated. Looks like a Grand Designs project gone wrong.
Surely its "pretentious architecture types" who like these things, not the average punter. I dare say there are estate agents now who use "in your face" architecture as a selling point - but in Streatham???

I can see why its been nominated. Looks like a Grand Designs project gone wrong.
Surely its "pretentious architecture types" who like these things, not the average punter. I dare say there are estate agents now who use "in your face" architecture as a selling point - but in Streatham???
I think it's horrid. Looks like a supermarket outhouse.

I see Chris Williamson was in Streatham tonight with his Local Democracy Roadshow. Did anyone go? I actually was on a bus going past the venue, had I known it was on

I see Chris Williamson was in Streatham tonight with his Local Democracy Roadshow. Did anyone go? I actually was on a bus going past the venue, had I known it was on
Is he actually Labour? Whenever I see him interviewed on TV (normally RT) he has a sort of Bela Lugosi "presence" which makes Ted Knight and Derek Hatton look like pussy cats!
bela_wm_events_image2.jpg

Well he says he's Labour. It must be pretty weird inside there at the moment, being one of the MPs/CLPs when Williamson turns up to razz up your members against you

Back
Top Bottom