Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Streatham news, rumours and general chat

My gf's kid has a fancy motor. It's all he has. All his cash is in it. That's his indulgence. He aint got a cool job or a house. He has his car.

My gf's kid has a fancy motor. It's all he has. All his cash is in it. That's his indulgence. He aint got a cool job or a house. He has his car.
That's one way of looking at it. To me it was a way of getting to work to raise money to move out. Means to an end rather than an end in itself.

Loads of flash cars on our road now too.

Well...the landlord decided to kick out my neighbours of 2 years.
He figured he could get more money with different tenants.

My whole street is changing. I'm unsure if i like this new crowd of Balham/ Clapham rejects.
There seems to be a lot of them too.

There are guys in their 30s with leased Audis still living with their parents. Funny seeing them at the filling station sometimes putting £5 of petrol in these £45k motors but if that's what they want to spend al their money on so be it.

You can get a lease on an Audi A6 for less than £300 per month if you shop about. Yes, it's a lot of money to some, but I know couples who live in Essex and pay £700 between them for the commuter train to zone 1.

Can anyone recommend any tailors around Streatham for trouser alterations? The nearer to Streatham train station the better (the dry cleaners next to the station do but their turnaround time is 7-10 days!).

Thanks in advance.

Can anyone recommend any tailors around Streatham for trouser alterations? The nearer to Streatham train station the better (the dry cleaners next to the station do but their turnaround time is 7-10 days!).

Thanks in advance.
I will try and pay more attention to where it is but there is a dry cleaners on the other side of the road fro the station, somewhere between the junctions with Downton and Amesbury, that has sewing machines in the window. They do a good job and quickly.

May be too late for you now!
Edited to say: and I see you said Streatham Station, not S'ham Hill. sorry.

Curry lovers of Streatham, do try Delhi Bites. Best takeaway curry ever. You take it home on a box and heat it up yourself. Mr delhi Bites is happy to give you a taste of anything you are interested in, the curries change each day, brilliant range of vegetarian curries, and the lamb biriyani is even better than that which my Queen-of-the-biriyani mother-in-law cooks. Very authentic.

Almost oopposite Streatham Hill station.

Trio Pizzeria offer some brilliant live jazz musicians while you eat / drink.
Very friendly staff, reasonable prices, pizzas good, not quite up to Adomme and Bravi Ragazzi, but very good.
Or you can just have a relaxing drink and listen to mellow jazz.

"Streatham Theatre Venue Operator – Expressions of Interest

London Square are pleased to announce the launch of the tender process to find a venue operator for the new Streatham Hill Theatre & Arts Venue, due to open in December 2017.

They are looking for an enthusiastic organisation to work with London Square to complete this exciting venue, and then to manage it for the benefit of the local community and other stakeholders.

The theatre space will be fully fitted out as a working theatre by London Square and will be let to the operator for a peppercorn rent of £1 per year.

They are seeking a venue operator with vision, a genuine commitment to community engagement and relevant experience. Your organisation might be considering operation of its first venue, extending to operate an additional venue or securing a new base for your own work from which you could also manage a community and arts resource.

To find out more about this opportunity, please visit the London Square website. "

In case anyone was thinking of running a theatre venue....

I will try and pay more attention to where it is but there is a dry cleaners on the other side of the road fro the station, somewhere between the junctions with Downton and Amesbury, that has sewing machines in the window. They do a good job and quickly.

May be too late for you now!
Edited to say: and I see you said Streatham Station, not S'ham Hill. sorry.

Yes I know the ones off Streatham Hill as that was where I use to live.
Ended up going to the dry cleaner next to Streatham Station (the guy on at the counter there is so friggin intense - makes me feel on edge) and they did a pretty good job.

Thanks.

Trying to book an ice skating party for my daughter. The phone is ringing out, there's no option to leave a message and the web form is borked.

Nice one GLL.

New boozer for Streatham! The Mere Scribbler in Streatham is set to open in April. Formerly the Bank pub, the 3,466 square foot venue will be located at the junction of Streatham High Road and Streatham Vale.

New boozer for Streatham! The Mere Scribbler in Streatham is set to open in April. Formerly the Bank pub, the 3,466 square foot venue will be located at the junction of Streatham High Road and Streatham Vale.

"A sister pub to the hugely successful ‘Old Frizzle’, Wimbledon." Apparently.
Of which I know nothing.

ETA Seems the same firm Livelyhood owns The Clapham North (Clapham), The Regent (Balham) and The Old Frizzle (Wimbledon).

Last edited:
Finally drank at The Bull yesterday. Was surprised that it had a such a Balham vibe to the place.
Average selection of beers, wish they had something more wacky tbh, some local stuff or Sam Adams/ Blue Moon.

Burgers overpriced like any other pub.

Still prefer my local.

I went along to the new Mere Scribbler pub last night. To paraphrase Radiohead, everything was in Its right place, with bare walls, exposed wooden floors, trendy lights, sofas and all the usual modern revamped pub elements, plus food aimed at a more upmarket clientele. Loads of TVs for sport too.

I never went there when it was The Bank but everyone tells me it's a million times better.

mere-scribbler-streatham-02.jpg

mere-scribbler-streatham-01.jpg

mere-scribbler-streatham-07.jpg

In photos: The Mere Scribbler pub in Streatham opens up for business

I went along to the new Mere Scribbler pub last night. To paraphrase Radiohead, everything was in Its right place, with bare walls, exposed wooden floors, trendy lights, sofas and all the usual modern revamped pub elements, plus food aimed at a more upmarket clientele. Loads of TVs for sport too.

I never went there when it was The Bank but everyone tells me it's a million times better.

mere-scribbler-streatham-02.jpg

mere-scribbler-streatham-01.jpg

mere-scribbler-streatham-07.jpg

In photos: The Mere Scribbler pub in Streatham opens up for business

Christ, another up-market pub...

Is there any truth in the rumour that Wholemeal's will close down when they stop serving Homity Pie?
It's still there and still on the menu after all this time.

Is there any truth in the rumour that Wholemeal's will close down when they stop serving Homity Pie?
It's still there and still on the menu after all this time.
Noooooo! Is this a joke? I've been going there for years...they've seen my daughter grow from a baby to a young girl!

Hummus and flat bread or garlic mushrooms and bread for starters; it's all still there. I went for the green thai curry last night, which isn't always there.

Not sure if I should pop this here or in Brixton as it's on the border, but theres a lot of rumours about the Crown and Sceptre being put up for sale. In fact, it's all anyone was talking about in there at the weekend. I did ask the manager but he got quite angry about it (presumably because everyone had been asking him) and denied all rumours, which I'd expect him to do.

ETA: Didn't realise the Streatham thread had moved to the Brixton forum!

I have not been that many times but whenever I've been it's always seemed reasonably busy.

Would any new owners dare gentrify it? I don't think it'd work.

Back
Top Bottom