Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

The Sun have noticed that there are some homes in Stockwell that cost a "whopping" * £1m. Which doesn't really distinguish them from many other roads in south London but allows them to use "whopping" six times

The Sun is probably reporting this as news because The Sun and their readers consider Brixton and Stockwell to be run-down inner-city ghettos full of vice, crime, gang warfare, yunno, the sort of place where righteous cops legitimately gun down un-white crims in the street.

So not the kind of place rich white homeowners with rollers might consider living.

I still encounter this attitude and assumption when I'm outside London. "Brixton?! Isn't it dangerous there??"

I've not and won't click on the link.

The Sun have noticed that there are some homes in Stockwell that cost a "whopping" * £1m. Which doesn't really distinguish them from many other roads in south London but allows them to use "whopping" six times

I'm not clicking either.

If you've ever walked through Albert Square in Stockwell (where Joanna Lumley and her composer husband live), or indeed Stockwell Park Road and the adjacent Crescent of the same name, you will have to fork out a lot more than £1m for a house. Same for "Poets Corner" towards Herne Hill.

I haven't had that in over a decade. Everyone tells me how "cool and up and coming" it is, and "ooh, I hear it's changed a lot". Yep. I rarely see anyone injecting in there phones boxes anymore. They're all smoking crack.
The irony is that Brixton is less gentrified than a decade ago, imo.

I'm not clicking either.

If you've ever walked through Albert Square in Stockwell (where Joanna Lumley and her composer husband live), or indeed Stockwell Park Road and the adjacent Crescent of the same name, you will have to fork out a lot more than £1m for a house.
Also where Roger Moore was living as a kid and survived a bomb in the war. Wasn't posh then ... (either him or the street).

Interesting. I’m not disagreeing but in what way?
The public realm feels more run down. Lots of empty shops. Bars and restaurants struggling on CHL as noted on this thread. The 'revamp' of the arches has been a disaster. Begging and public drug use back to 1990s levels.

Of course, this is not to detract from the high rents and house prices which still make living here difficult for most people.

The public realm feels more run down. Lots of empty shops. Bars and restaurants struggling on CHL as noted on this thread. The 'revamp' of the arches has been a disaster. Begging and public drug use back to 1990s levels.

Of course, this is not to detract from the high rents and house prices which still make living here difficult for most people.
I agree. The pandemic probably didn’t help. I would add- SW9 closing down affected that area long before the M&S board up although it’s got worse since.

All your points are correct, but affect pretty much every high street and town centre across the UK. Also, I think Brixton has had its moment as a nightlife centre and the fashionable spots are now elsewhere - that was always going to happen sooner or later.

Where gentrification definitely still persists is in the demographic change, which is largely driven by house prices and rental costs.

But I'd agree that the town centre feels shabby more than it used to.

There's still really a lot of stuff in Brixton that wasn't there, say, 20 years ago, though.

I agree with most of what Winot describes but am not sure if it's really de-gentrification.

The empty shops, increase in begging, visible homelessness and so on aren't all that particular to Brixton - there's some of that in most places in the UK I'd say.

I agree. The pandemic probably didn’t help. I would add- SW9 closing down affected that area long before the M&S board up although it’s got worse since.
I've always thought that M&S opening up the blind windows onto Dorrel Place would help with a bit of passive surveilance. Now they have done so but unfortunately all the windows are privacy glass.

I think Brixton has had its moment as a nightlife centre and the fashionable spots are now elsewhere
Places are always at their coolest when they're on the up. Peckham very much has the feel brixton did 20? years ago. then rents go up, and everyone complains of gentrification.

But I'd agree that the town centre feels shabby more than it used to.
Theres a hell of a lot more 'supply' though. There are a lot more shop units than there were, a lot more competition. Covid/Academy/Cost of Living has clearly done for those that were only just about profitable before. But there are still new places opening.

However, the dealing/drug taking/general scruffiness is really bad again - and it's feels to have got relatively worse here vs other places.

Places are always at their coolest when they're on the up. Peckham very much has the feel brixton did 20? years ago. then rents go up, and everyone complains of gentrification.
I felt Brixton never quite lived up to the hype. It kind of emobided the fashion for shabby makeshift but never evolved, began to look faddy and poor value and people quickly moved on. It seemed to fizzle for a while and went phffut.

I've always thought that M&S opening up the blind windows onto Dorrel Place would help with a bit of passive surveilance. Now they have done so but unfortunately all the windows are privacy glass.
That was a missed opportunity. Some joined up thinking between M&S and Lambeth would have helped.

Where gentrification definitely still persists is in the demographic change, which is largely driven by house prices and rental costs.

This is what gentrification is though isn't it, pretty much by definition.

I don't see that it makes sense to describe it as less gentrified while that's the case, regardless of it looking a bit scruffier or whatever.

This is what gentrification is though isn't it, pretty much by definition.

I don't see that it makes sense to describe it as less gentrified while that's the case, regardless of it looking a bit scruffier or whatever.
Except the glitziness of retail/hospitality/public realm has always been used as evidence of gentrification, so it seems to me that it's reasonable to use it as evidence the other way when it gets scruffier.

Except the state of retail/hospitality/public realm has always been used as evidence of gentrification, so it seems to me that it's reasonable to use it as evidence the other way.
Local shark landlord Jerry Knight is still busy pushing rents up to unaffordable levels (see: Brixton Hill Studios and the Quadrangle) and the Dept Store's exclusive members-only club has increased their membership fees so I see no evidence that the place isn't still in a continual state of gentrification, albeit slower than the 2000s.

Except the glitziness of retail/hospitality/public realm has always been used as evidence of gentrification, so it seems to me that it's reasonable to use it as evidence the other way when it gets scruffier.
I think it’s just one of the indicators, and high streets nationwide have been struggling since Covid. It’s interesting to think of how much of a mainstream anytown central Brixton continues to become. Chains like Chopstix, Pret, Itsu, Five Guys, etc have continued to set up shop here, generally replacing independents, while Morley’s and M&S have both made substantial investments in their stores post-Pandemic. There is a whole strip of new tenants in Market Row too following the recent refurb there.

I was thinking of this the other day when I was out in Peckham for the first time in a few years. Rye Lane still feels very run-down and deprived in the main. Beyond the Levels and the Bussey Building/Copeland Park, the newer spots are pretty thin on the ground - the odd few arches around the station and that godawful Market Place street food complex. Brixton town centre by comparison is smarter, cleaner, and looks increasingly more like Clapham High Street (physically at least).

The other thing about gentrification is the way it moves through phases and eventually results in long-term social change. The artists and independents have passed their peak, and the night-life might be a bit quieter due to that, but that’s in some part because corporates now see Brixton as a place they want to be, and they’re more risk-averse and less inclined to operate round the clock.

It’s been noticeable where I live how much things have continued to change these past few years. Everything from the resurfacing and paving of the streets to the continued renovation of houses, to the declining roll in our kids’ schools as the neighbourhood has gradually seen a population shift to higher income households with smaller families.

To me there’s no doubt that Brixton has become a smarter, wealthier place over the past couple of decades. Walking down Brixton Hill is an instructive example - every single building between St Matthew’s and Water Lane has been renovated or replaced in the past 20 years, and it won’t be long until that reaches all the way to the South Circular.

From that Sun article. He sounds amazing, and is the only person I've ever heard of named after a character in The Princess Bride...

Inigo Woodham-Smith, 27, lives at home with his mother - a masseuse and spiritual healer - just down the road.

Pizza chef and occasional photographer Inigo attended Emmanuel School in Battersea, which costs almost £25,000 a year.

He said: "Stockwell is fantastic, we’ve got a Pret and we’ve got the Swan - it doesn’t get better."

Perhaps one of the problems is that these wealthy people are not spending their money in Brixton.
A bit of that. Plus a bit of longer-term residents spending less money on those things full stop. 20 years ago I was a regular patron of Brixton’s pubs and clubs. But I was young and single then. Now I’m in my 50s and have a family I probably go out in Brixton centre twice a year.

Back
Top Bottom