Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Streatham news, rumours and general chat

editor

hiraethified
Chukka's getting down with the vibe:

Last night saw the first ‘PRS Presents’ gig kick-off for 2016, where PRS for Music’s Streatham offices played host for the stellar line-up of live music performances from Andrew Ashong, Ghostpoet and Dr Meaker.

MP Chukka Umunna was of attendance, where he introduced his old friend and first act of the evening, Andrew Ashong - also sharing his love for the vibrant music scene in London’s south.

Only the second in its series, the ‘PRS Presents’ gigs take place every two months – giving industry, fans and the local community an opportunity to connect with live music and the amazing talent that fall under PRS for Music’smembership.

The evening was filled with the sounds of south London with soul singer-songwriter, DJ and producer Andrew Ashong opening the gig with a mesmerising set of dreamy vocals and jazz-inspired sounds.

Mercury-prize nominee and headline act for the evening, rapper, Ghostpoet, followed with superb indie-rock infused monologue backed with stunning female vocals and band, wowing the audience leaving the room buzzing for more.

To close the night, hailing from Bristol – the electronic dance act Dr Meaker took to stage their unique fusion of Drum & Bass, live saxophonists and astounding vocals which got the crowd dancing.

Streatham MP, Chukka Umunna said: “It’s great to be back at PRS for Music, I am so proud to have PRS in Streatham. It’s fitting because we are an immensely creative, energetic musical part of London. There are so many music legends that you can associate with our area.”

Ghostpoet said: “It was a true pleasure to play for PRS Presents, it's the least I could do for all the great support I've been given. Was a great atmosphere and fun was had, great times mate great times.

PRS for Music Chief Executive, Robert Ashcroft said: “What a great night for our first ‘PRS Presents’ gig in Streatham, filled with simply outstanding music. We are extremely fortunate to be able to host these performances on our doorstep, especially in an area that continues to be recognised as a thriving cultural hub for live music.”

The next ‘PRS Presents’ gig will be held at PRS for Music’s King’s Cross HQ in April, line-up to be announced soon – stay tuned www.prsformusic.com/presents
And some background reading for Chukka whose Tory proposals seek to destroy opportunities for musicians in his borough.

No Money, No Space, No Time: How London Has Forced out Musicians | NOISEY

Make squatting in commercial property a crime, ministers told
Three senior Labour figures joined Conservative MPs in calling for squatting in commercial premises to be made a criminal offence, as it now is for homes.

Shadow business secretary Chuka Umunna, former Labour minister Dame Tessa Jowell and Lib Peck, leader of Lambeth council, have written to Mr Grayling urging him to amend the law to protect shops, offices and other non-residential properties. They said: “The change in the law last year to criminalise squatting in residential properties has brought a welcome relief to homeowners in Lambeth.

“Unfortunately, the problem of squatters for commercial property owners has since worsened, and Lambeth has seen an increase in the number of squatters now specifically targeting non-residential buildings. Extending the law to protect businesses would be a welcome move.”
*I did search for a Streatham news thread but couldn't find one

Does the library still provided recycling bags and are they open on Saturday morning?

We had a load delivered about three weeks ago but when I am short I go down to Olive Morris House when I am passing through Brixton and reception give you some. If I have a bit of time spare in Brixton I usually call in so keep a stockpile now, just in case society collapses and they become in short supply or something shit happens.

I rang and enquiries as to how much a two bed apartment was, and the salesman asked ME
" what do you think these apartment should sell for"
I said errrr about £280,000, the line went quiet and he said they start at around £550,000, that was about 9 months ago.

I rang and enquiries as to how much a two bed apartment was, and the salesman asked ME
" what do you think these apartment should sell for"
I said errrr about £280,000, the line went quiet and he said they start at around £550,000, that was about 9 months ago.
So how much profit/income do they reckon you get on a buy to let net of mortgage interest then @ £550,000?

I've got an auction catalogue regarding a property in Coldharbour Lane. It is evident that auction guide prices these days are purely on the basis of rental yield - so maybe these Streatham off-plan luxury flats are sold in the same way?

If you haven't seen it I do commend this article RIP Streatham Megabowl: The Sad Story of a Long Goodbye | VICE | United Kingdom

The façade of "London Square" looks a bit ropey at the moment. Like they have preserved a couple of pillars for the sake of the Streatham Society, but they are cracking up anyway.

So how much profit/income do they reckon you get on a buy to let net of mortgage interest then @ £550,000?

I've got an auction catalogue regarding a property in Coldharbour Lane. It is evident that auction guide prices these days are purely on the basis of rental yield - so maybe these Streatham off-plan luxury flats are sold in the same way?

If you haven't seen it I do commend this article RIP Streatham Megabowl: The Sad Story of a Long Goodbye | VICE | United Kingdom

The façade of "London Square" looks a bit ropey at the moment. Like they have preserved a couple of pillars for the sake of the Streatham Society, but they are cracking up anyway.
Buy to let market in London is now shot to pieces, there is no yield on a new build apartment in London

Buy to let market in London is now shot to pieces, there is no yield on a new build apartment in London
So surely the prices should start to decline? Or are there still plenty of people able to afford £550,000 for a flat in Streatham Hill - to live in?
I guess we may find out more on 16th July when they "launch".

So surely the prices should start to decline? Or are there still plenty of people able to afford £550,000 for a flat in Streatham Hill - to live in?
I guess we may find out more on 16th July when they "launch".
I really don't know where the money comes from, could be the bank of mum and dad, but I guarantee you that these apartments are prob already sold, I live in Brixton Square and I'm the oldest fart in here, flats are being resold for £650,000-725,000 and on the market for a week and some 30 year old has moved in.

....but anyway.....Streatham is on the rise....apparently

Move over Clapham, this Zone 3 suburb is the new homes hotspot to watch
I've been in streatham 20+ years. Never seen as many Porsches as the past two years. Even a fucking Lamborghini on sunnyhill road.

Loads of the houses near me, that are currently divided into flats, are being hoovered up and converted back to family homes and for sales at Hamptons International, too classy even for foxtons now.

Streatham isn't going to hugely change - it's big problem is the very very long high street. It's not easy to shop.

Streatham isn't going to hugely change - it's big problem is the very very long high street. It's not easy to shop.
I disagree with you about that, as long as you can use the bus. You just need to pick the stretch with the shops you need the most.

That whole strip was what gave the place its character. Generations of Londoners knew it. Luxury apartment-ised.

I disagree with you about that, as long as you can use the bus. You just need to pick the stretch with the shops you need the most.

I like shopping in Streatham - I don't find it a problem. But I think lots of people get put off by it's long stretch.

There is a posh food shop opened on Leigham Court Road - nice products if you can afford it - have a feeling that he might not be there in a year or two. Probably needs to market himself a bit more.

I've been in streatham 20+ years. Never seen as many Porsches as the past two years. Even a fucking Lamborghini on sunnyhill road.

I was walking down Branksome Rd the other day - it's an ordinary terraced street running south off Acre Lane. In a row were a Range Rover, a Mercedes SUV and a Lexus. They had local parking permits too so not visitors.

flash cars, unless tehy are REALLY flash, don't signify much ime - you should see some of the run down hovels with flash cars outside round my way!

<snip> There is a posh food shop opened on Leigham Court Road - nice products if you can afford it - have a feeling that he might not be there in a year or two. Probably needs to market himself a bit more.
I just wouldn't bother to shop on that bit - Kingscourt Ave to Streatham Common covers most of what I get.

I like shopping in Streatham - I don't find it a problem. But I think lots of people get put off by it's long stretch.

There is a posh food shop opened on Leigham Court Road - nice products if you can afford it - have a feeling that he might not be there in a year or two. Probably needs to market himself a bit more.

Where is this? By the row of shops near Kennedys?

flash cars, unless tehy are REALLY flash, don't signify much ime - you should see some of the run down hovels with flash cars outside round my way!
But then there is a mindset amongst the young where a car is a status symbol. Growing up a few (tens of) miles north of london the first thing people bought on leaving school was a wreck of a car that they then customised. These days credit is cheap - people live at home and sink their credit rating into a nice car. It is an attitude i see prevalent at work - why buy a second hand functional car when you can lease a newer shinier one?

But then there is a mindset amongst the young where a car is a status symbol. Growing up a few (tens of) miles north of london the first thing people bought on leaving school was a wreck of a car that they then customised. These days credit is cheap - people live at home and sink their credit rating into a nice car. It is an attitude i see prevalent at work - why buy a second hand functional car when you can lease a newer shinier one?
True, no arguments there

Back
Top Bottom