Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Star Trek: Picard [spoilers]

I felt the worst was the two minutes of skidding. What on earth was the point of that?
It's just something endemically silly, and all too human. It convinced whateverhernameis she's a real person. It was also really crap and embarrassing.

I only just realised Michael Chabon - Michael Chabon - wrote two of the episodes. And not two of the half decent if you like that kind of a thing episodes.

It's just something endemically silly, and all too human. It convinced whateverhernameis she's a real person. It was also really crap and embarrassing.

I only just realised Michael Chabon - Michael Chabon - wrote two of the episodes. And not two of the half decent if you like that kind of a thing episodes.
He's the showrunner.

I think perhaps the most damning thing about that episode is that the best bits were nearly always ones created by or at least heavily inspired by someone other than this shows' writers.

Take the contrast between the Borg, Hugh and Picard scenes (which were lovely) with the absolutely terrible parquet floor mind trick sequence.

He's the showrunner.
yeah, tho it looks to be more like showhavesomeideaswhiledrunking.

But he actually wrote that shit, appalling lines about 'the existential pain of living with the consciousness of death.' Bad. Tho not quite as bad as the dialogue explaining what twins are in Ep1

the scene this week when Hugh introduces Picard to the reclamation project was probably the highlight of the series so far (faint praise…)
Stewart was perfect, his hopeful awe taking over from the tired cynicism that Picard’s been dealing with until now. it was a great contrast with his tour of the Romulan resettlement town two weeks ago. here was one bright spark of someone doing good to remind him of the optimism for the universe he used to have.

but it was somewhat ruined for the audience that we didn’t get to experience the revelation with him. instead we’re seeing a retread of exposition from a few weeks ago.
I’m really thinking now that everything that happened on the Cube before the heroes got there should have been on the cutting room floor. would anything of interest have been lost?

You cannot balance the devastating revelation with the almost upbeat re-union, they should have been separate episodes because we lose the emotional impact.

Lazy, hurried writing.

the scene this week when Hugh introduces Picard to the reclamation project was probably the highlight of the series so far (faint praise…)
Stewart was perfect, his hopeful awe taking over from the tired cynicism that Picard’s been dealing with until now. it was a great contrast with his tour of the Romulan resettlement town two weeks ago. here was one bright spark of someone doing good to remind him of the optimism for the universe he used to have.

but it was somewhat ruined for the audience that we didn’t get to experience the revelation with him. instead we’re seeing a retread of exposition from a few weeks ago.
I’m really thinking now that everything that happened on the Cube before the heroes got there should have been on the cutting room floor. would anything of interest have been lost?

You can say that about almost the entire series.

But he actually wrote that shit, appalling lines about 'the existential pain of living with the consciousness of death.'
Not sure exactly what your problem was with that particular line. The “pain of living with the consciousness of death”, or at least the anxiety (or angst) this brings in the presence of infinite choice, is exactly what Kirkegaard focused on and subsequent existential writers followed up. If he was reading existential works (and I can’t remember what it was he was actually reading at the time), it’s a pretty good précis for him to give in response to being asked what he was reading.

Not sure exactly what your problem was with that particular line. The “pain of living with the consciousness of death”, or at least the anxiety (or angst) this brings in the presence of infinite choice, is exactly what Kirkegaard focused on and subsequent existential writers followed up. If he was reading existential works (and I can’t remember what it was he was actually reading at the time), it’s a pretty good précis for him to give in response to being asked what he was reading.
its a pseudo-pretentious load of old wank to show he's really fucking deep maaaan. And it's a precis taken pretty much straight from wiki. The book was fictitious.

Meh. I don’t mind them using some shortcuts to establish the character archetypes. There are good and bad things about that show, but I wouldn’t put that line in either bucket.

I like it in a "fairly gentle, undemanding telly" kind of way. Got a few episodes to catch up on later.
Agree with the comment from a little earlier that the team seem to have things in hand without dragging Grandad along, though.

Tbf, 300 years in the future, it's a good plan if you want to go to an interstellar bar and be sure there's at least one person who isn't going to get carded.

Last edited:
Im a hardcore trekkie so it made it all the way to episode 5 before regrettably bailing.

Im a hardcore trekkie so it made it all the way to episode 5 before regrettably bailing.
Episode 6 is worth a go at least. It warms up the story a lot, and the fact that it is Picard is actually important to the story rather than incidental.

I made it to three . . . Well a couple of minutes into three. I would daily do a minute or two with my daughter before we both gave up. So maybe two and five or six minutes of three.

Much better that, though again that seemed mainly because the writers didn't have to come up with anything new.

Back
Top Bottom