Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Star Trek: Picard [spoilers]

I‘ll check it out when the 1st season has finished its run. I hope it will be better than Discovery. I don’t expect to be nearly as good as Watchmen.

Reviews have been ok but not exactly enthusiastic, mostly 3 out of 5. Star Trek now is for existing fans, it’s not going to be in the top range of current tv dramas. There are many better shows around, including science fiction shows.
Whereas I don’t claim to know or appreciate films and filmmaking nearly as much as experts and media critics, this is one of those times when they’re taking out of their arses IMO- or at least failing to take their highbrow hat off before reviewing a programme that neither aspires not is meant to achieve excellence in the art of cinematography.

Perhaps there is a case for different critics to review different kinds of genres. Look how many times sci fi or action films or series that went on to achieve cult status were initially given poor or so-so reviews by many critics, only for them to reverse their rating years later.

but why do romulans now have the abiltity to throw acid and blow up. was iron man 3 not bad enough

Whereas I don’t claim to know or appreciate films and filmmaking nearly as much as experts and media critics, this is one of those times when they’re taking out of their arses IMO- or at least failing to take their highbrow hat off before reviewing a programme that neither aspires not is meant to achieve excellence in the art of cinematography.

Perhaps there is a case for different critics to review different kinds of genres. Look how many times sci fi or action films or series that went on to achieve cult status were initially given poor or so-so reviews by many critics, only for them to reverse their rating years later.
Is the art of cinematography what you think critics are preoccupied with ? This idea that critics only like high brow stuff is populist anti-intellectual bullshit which has taken hold on the Internet and which isn’t true. Most critics asses how something succeeds on its own terms (including pure entertainmen) not how it compares to Ingmar Bergman.

I don’t buy that while occasionally, general consensus changes on a movie this means the merely ok reviews for the first episodes of this show means it’s a masterpiece. I also can’t think of any examples where this was the case with tv series, especially hard to judge as the quality can change with every season.

Not saying critics are always right (they are in fact a diverse bunch with diverse opinions), I just haven’t seen the Star Trek franchise pull off anything great in a few decades and I’d be surprised if this show can stand alongside the best of current genre tv.

Also, I was answering to someone who couldn’t see what the fuss was about and therefore concluded that all tv shows are no good anymore. I don’t think ST is where you’ll find the best TV currently is capable of, at best it’s comfort telly trading on nostalgia.

Last edited:
I‘ll check it out when the 1st season has finished its run. I hope it will be better than Discovery. I don’t expect to be nearly as good as Watchmen.

Loved STD, admittedly, it took a few eps to get into but it found its feet and am glad it's a very different beast to Picard, Of course, both shows are trading in nostalgia but I guess it's what they do with it. Both require a bit of knowledge but with Discovery, it's kind of a clean slate. Especially with the direction they're going in now.

Is the art of cinematography what you think critics are preoccupied with ? This idea that critics only like high brow stuff is populist anti-intellectual bullshit which has taken hold on the Internet and which isn’t true. Most critics asses how something succeeds on its own terms (including pure entertainmen) not how it compares to Ingmar Bergman.
Unfortunately I cannot remember of many concrete examples right now, though I come across them all the time (and I should make a note in the future from now on), but there are loads, and I mean loads, of sci fi and action films which were given the usual mediocre, typical 'entertainment fodder' initial reviews by many critics, only to feature years or decades later in many all-time-great film lists. And often the very same critics who initially thought a film was a best okay/ 3 stars revisited their scores years later and jumped on the cult status bandwagon.

The only possible explanation I can think of for a critic to change their opinion on a work that has remained the same since its inception is that the critic was influenced by popular opinion of the work in question turning out to be overwhelmingly more positive than the critic's own.

The only possible explanation I can think of for a critic to change their opinion on a work that has remained the same since its inception is that the critic was influenced by popular opinion of the work in question turning out to be overwhelmingly more positive than the critic's own.
I can think of lots of reasons why anyone might re-assess a work many years after their first viewing. Or rather, I can think of lots of examples of my own opinions on works changing over the years.

Discovery took me a couple of episodes to engage with, this took five minutes, and I'm not a big star trek fan, stopped watching round the time picard went a bit borg.
It was a very engaging episode enough that I'm looking forward to following this story.

Unfortunately I cannot remember of many concrete examples right now, though I come across them all the time (and I should make a note in the future from now on), but there are loads, and I mean loads, of sci fi and action films which were given the usual mediocre, typical 'entertainment fodder' initial reviews by many critics, only to feature years or decades later in many all-time-great film lists. And often the very same critics who initially thought a film was a best okay/ 3 stars revisited their scores years later and jumped on the cult status bandwagon.

Critics are a diverse bunch of people and it's futile to talk about them as an autonomous group with a hive mind. Some change their opinions, others like Pauline Kael, the most influential film critic of the 60s and 70s, famously never did. Another reason for changing consensus can be that a new generation of critics sees things in a film, contemporary critics didn't see or found important. Contemporary critics may have never changed their negative opinions of Hitchcock’s Vertigo, while younger critics have elevated it to being considered one of the greatest films ever made.

I have changed my mind on films. Some play better for me on a second viewing, with certain preconceptions out of the way. Sometimes someone else's opinion has enabled me to see a film from a different perspective, which has made me appreciate it more. Sometimes it's because I have changed and I can relate to a film's subject matter more. Other films genuinely are ahead of their time and only come into their own later.

There is nothing wrong with changing ones mind, in fact I don't trust people who are inflexible in their thinking. The reason for changing ones opinion on a film doesn't have to be as cynical as jumping on a bandwagon.

Last edited:
is it out on amazon :hmm:

only got a linked firestick last week

or is this slightly dodgy copies from CBS premiere last night

:confused:

I was a bit worried with the opening ten minutes of this episode. Sudden friendly romulan that knows all the tricks of the trade in a flash. Figured she may be a romulan plant but as the episode progressed it got better and a proper pacing returned. Also Proving my first 10 minute theory wrong.

wondering what happened between him and Beverly that went so wrong? It was her he hailed right?

nah it was the charcter he went and visited in the taxi near the end

Nice usage of the star trek Rocks as well :thumbs:

Nice usage of the star trek Rocks as well :thumbs:
Yes, I liked that too, but otherwise I thought Ep 2 was a bit too techno-babbley - that whole scene in the apartment with the 3D history-scanner thing, and the fact that his butler and housekeeper just happen to be experts on the Romulan secret service, was all a bit too suspension-of-disbelief straining, IMO. Tried to shoehorn too much exposition into a single episode.

the Techno babble is star trek Tbf

plus with Picard's history with the romulians and their love of controlling situations it would not be surprising they send Tal shair agents to get close to him

would always love more trek but the way Stewart was talking about the series and liking it to Logan

I was ponder would we get a one and done series to complete his character journey

appear it going to be a longer affair

Yes, I liked that too, but otherwise I thought Ep 2 was a bit too techno-babbley - that whole scene in the apartment with the 3D history-scanner thing, and the fact that his butler and housekeeper just happen to be experts on the Romulan secret service, was all a bit too suspension-of-disbelief straining, IMO. Tried to shoehorn too much exposition into a single episode.
They're former Tal'Shiar members who defected. Explained in one of the prequel comics that came out recently.

Back
Top Bottom