Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Star Trek: Picard [spoilers]

I'm re-watching Enterprise at the moment. Hated it at the time but it's aged really well. It's better than Discovery and Voyager, which now has pride of place as my least favourite Trek.

That fucking theme tune though, what an earworm.

Discovery and Voyager
Discovery was quite entertaining, but somehow lacked the right feel. Voyager was always crap. Too many weak characters, formula episodes and an overall arc that just wasn't that interesting.

That final trailer is ace, very much look forward to it, and it also brought a little tear to my eye.

I wonder if Riker is still able to mount and dismount chairs in his unique way nowadays, or if his advancing age has put a stop to that...

I wonder if Riker is still able to mount and dismount chairs in his unique way nowadays, or if his advancing age has put a stop to that...
I have a strong suspicion that the short clips of Riker that we see in the trailer are going to pretty much be his entire contribution to the new show, tbh. It's just there to get the fans excited.

That final trailer is ace, very much look forward to it, and it also brought a little tear to my eye.

Interesting bit of trivia is that Riker probably always sat down on chairs like that because Jonathan Frakes had a bad back injury that caused him issues making complicated movements over and over again for each take. See this thread here:

(If you read down, Wil Wheaton confirms it on his own Reddit account)

Interesting bit of trivia is that Riker probably always sat down on chairs like that because Jonathan Frakes had a bad back injury that caused him issues making complicated movements over and over again for each take. See this thread here:

(If you read down, Wil Wheaton confirms it on his own Reddit account)

I’ve got a DVD extra where he confirms it himself in an interview. He has a moan about the chairs on the bridge, saying they look cool but there’s no lumbar support and he always had to sit to one side so he had back support.

Didn’t see this advertised anywhere apart from this twitter post and the London one has now passed.

Essex, Birmingham and Manchester this week. I’ll try and report back from the brum one if I get chance. I suspect it will just be a extra long trailer in vr or some shit.

If you can’t wait torrent sites, usenet iptv has the first episode as everywhere outside US gets it 24 hours later.

otherwise it’s on amazon prime here tomorrow.

i really enjoyed it. Won’t post spoilera until tomorrow, but consider this your warning because I really can’t be arsed with spoiler tags. Only click the thread from tomorrow once you’re up to date with the series.

yes this didn't put a foot wrong as an opener. Decaff for the admiral, and is that rank new to us viewers? Last I can recall Janeway made admiral and he was still captain. As for Romulus being gone....its all new and I need to know more. That was a borg cube at the end right? That the twin is in, whats going on there eh

yes this didn't put a foot wrong as an opener. Decaff for the admiral, and is that rank new to us viewers? Last I can recall Janeway made admiral and he was still captain. As for Romulus being gone....its all new and I need to know more. That was a borg cube at the end right? That the twin is in, whats going on there eh
In the reboot film, titled Star Trek and released in 2009, the planet Romulus is destroyed by a supernova in the year 2387.

Romulan - Wikipedia

The Borg cube is titled "Romulan Reclamation Site" - so maybe a re-purposed Borg Cube :confused:

Iirc, Romulus is destroyed in the 2009 Star Trek film

Yeah it’s complicated timeline bollocks. When original timeline Spock tries to stop Romulus star going supernova he fails and gets whipped into the kelvin (aka Star Trek reboot films) timeline along with the films bad guy Nero.

there was a good comic book that was an official tie in called countdown (they’ve even done a countdown comic book series for this but never seen it in stock anywhere. Will probably wait for the trade paperback) butthis series potentially now makes that comic book not canon becausein that data had successfully transferred his neural net to b4.

but yeah short version. Romulus got destroyed in the proper timeline at the start of the 2009 Star Trek film.

Was very much meh going into it and for the first few minutes - immediately starting with the Enterprise D and (initially) Data seemed like really shitty fan service.

I also got frustrated (and 'initially') that seemed to be really slow. I had worries that it would be a bit like Discovery that each episode would build towards a climax that - arguably - never came.
But once it got started, especially the 'modern alogory' references to Brexit and the rise of the Far Right (but then again, I'm a massive smoke flake, right?), I thought it was really written and engaging. I especially liked, towards the end, where Dahj and Picard are being attack by the Romulans, that Picard gets tired whilst they're running up the building. It's a fragility that I think could have been ignored if the writers weren't brave enough.

So yeah, it was too!

E2a: on Star Trek Online there's a whole storyline about the Romulans (specifically remanants of the Tal Shiar) use stolen Borg technology to build their own drones.
I think STO is cannon, too.

I found some of the dialogue pacing weirdly off towards the beginning. But yeah, solid start... Stewart very, very much on form.

All a bit meh If you ask me. I'll need another one to see where it's going. Daughter thought it was terrible until the girl kicked all the romulans in. . . Then complained endlessly that she died. She's not impressed.

The Bruce Maddox referred to is from the TNG episode The Measure of a Man. He's the scientist who tried arguing that Data was the property of Starfleet, and wanted to take him apart to study him. He changed his mind when Picard successfully argued that Data was sentient and couldn't be compelled to take part against his will.

Back
Top Bottom