Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Stabbings in Leicester Square 12/08/24

I meant to say 'morning', and have now edited. People rarely get stabbed in the morning.

88443157-13735753-The_guard_gave_his_name_as_Abdullah_29_pictured_and_works_at_TWG-m-57_1723477795227.jpg

Nearby Security Guard, named only as "Abdullah":

"I heard a scream, at that moment I saw there was one person, roughly [in their] mid-30s or early 30s, and he was like stabbing a kid'

'I jumped on him, held the hand in which he was [carrying] a knife, and just put him down on the floor and just held him and took the knife away from him'

GUzO9QCWMAAsQWi.png

The suspect who was arrested at the scene of the incident.​

From sky news:

The Metropolitan Police said the girl will require hospital treatment but her injuries are not life threatening, while her mother suffered minor injuries.
The force said a 32-year-old man was arrested at the scene and officers are not looking for anyone else in connection with the attack.

There is no suggestion the incident is terror-related and police don't believe the suspect and the victims are known to each other.

Good that there was no loss of life.

The police have now released the attacker's name and changed him with attempted murder.

Also been confirmed that only the daughter was injured, and that her blood on the mother made it look like like the latter had also been stabbed.

Updated story on BBC website.

I know it can look like making excuses for the perpetrator, which I'm not intending to do, but having just seen (as I suspected, and possibly predicted) that the man who murdered three people in Nottingham WAS known to mental health services, and that a “series of errors and misjudgments” led to his discharge, and eventual offending, I find myself wondering whether this might also turn out to be a similar case.

Of course, we don't know that the same will apply here, but there's an awful lot of "errors and misjudgements" around cases like these, and one wonders whether, had they been better managed, how many people might not end up experiencing injury and death at their hands.

Societally, we must surely bear some of the responsibility for failing to prevent people who have already demonstrated behaviours of concern from inflicting them on innocent people.

However, what I think we will see is the usual circling of wagons, platitidinous "lessons will be learned" phrases being bandied around, and absolutely nothing done to change the actual situation on the ground.

I know it can look like making excuses for the perpetrator, which I'm not intending to do, but having just seen (as I suspected, and possibly predicted) that the man who murdered three people in Nottingham WAS known to mental health services, and that a “series of errors and misjudgments” led to his discharge, and eventual offending, I find myself wondering whether this might also turn out to be a similar case.

Of course, we don't know that the same will apply here, but there's an awful lot of "errors and misjudgements" around cases like these, and one wonders whether, had they been better managed, how many people might not end up experiencing injury and death at their hands.

Societally, we must surely bear some of the responsibility for failing to prevent people who have already demonstrated behaviours of concern from inflicting them on innocent people.

However, what I think we will see is the usual circling of wagons, platitidinous "lessons will be learned" phrases being bandied around, and absolutely nothing done to change the actual situation on the ground.
platitudes make the platituder feel better

Yep, right now it does look like you’re making excuses for the perpetrator existentialist
Well, in that case you'll simply have to take my word for it that I am not.

I'm completely on board with the fact that women and children are far too often the victims of male violence, albeit for a number of different reasons. But, ultimately, someone (us) is going to have to DO something about this, and - alongside all of the things that have been regularly spoken about regarding male violence on women - one of those things appears increasingly obviously to be to improve how we deal with situations where we know that people (overwhelmingly men) who represent a risk of violence are not being adequately managed or society at large protected from them.

We don’t know why he did it. Perhaps he’s just a man who hates women and little girls. There’s a lot of them about.
Or perhaps there's more to it than that. I'd rather not just settle on "man who hates women and little girls".

platitudes make the platituder feel better
Yup. And that's about all they do. And that, of course, is exactly why they do this. Every time. And, apparently, never actually apply the "learned lessons". Probably largely thanks to lack of funding, but that is so often the factor which never speaks its name, and we just go around and around with it.

Back
Top Bottom