Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Southend West By-election

I've heard a few mentions of this and just can't see why Johnson would do it. He doesn't need a mandate for anything at the moment so doesn't need a GE to push through any policies. Labour are shit so would be very unlikely to steal any seats. It would be a stupid waste of time.

It's mis-reported. The story is that when election time comes around he may opt for another winter one as the Tories do better as they all have Range Rovers to drive to the polling station in the snow, that kind of thing. Also doing away with the Fixed Term Parliament Act.

No danger of a GE this winter.

I'm always bemused by the independent candidates you get in by elections, not those who didn't get the nomination for a major party but the randoms who stand as an INDEPENDENT. Not well known locally, no distinctive policies for the area, just an 'INDEPENDENT VOICE FOR...'. = 107 votes.

Particularly if the guy who killed Amess turns out to be a Muslim, I suspect the far right will stand and make a real effort to stir things up. So, milkshakes at the ready.

It's mis-reported. The story is that when election time comes around he may opt for another winter one as the Tories do better as they all have Range Rovers to drive to the polling station in the snow, that kind of thing. Also doing away with the Fixed Term Parliament Act.

No danger of a GE this winter.
Wasn't doing away with the FTPA in their manifesto? Other than Getting Brexit Done (Badly) their whole manifesto seems to have been derailed by the lurgy.

Wasn't doing away with the FTPA in their manifesto? Other than Getting Brexit Done (Badly) their whole manifesto seems to have been derailed by the lurgy.
It's rapidly becoming a waste of time anyway, with 2/3 of the elections held since it was passed taking place after just 2 years. You could imagine circumstances where the opposition deny the government an election to stop their opportunism but looking scared isn't a good look in politics. Having said that, Theresa May did fuck up badly deciding to throw another election at the British people in 2017.

It's rapidly becoming a waste of time anyway, with 2/3 of the elections held since it was passed taking place after just 2 years. You could imagine circumstances where the opposition deny the government an election to stop their opportunism but looking scared isn't a good look in politics. Having said that, Theresa May did fuck up badly deciding to throw another election at the British people in 2017.
Almost all polls had her and the party on 20 +, it clearly looked like a good idea from what all the people paid to know what the numbers were indicating. Was it yougovs model that bore out in the end? fucking ancient history now. But it didn't look like a bad move until it clearly was.

Jayda Fransen (yes, her) has announced her intention to stand as a candidate here.

Excellent. Bring on more crack pots and their lost deposits.

I'm hoping for some local independents standing on hyper local and hyper petty issues such as frequency of tree pruning in local parks or a change in priorities on a single one way street.

No polling date for this yet.

The remnants of UKIP have announced their intention to stand here.

Parallels are apparently being drawn between this election and the 1990 Eastbourne by-election which the LibDems won (overturning a 16K majority) after the Tory MP was killed by the IRA, I can remember some Tory backbencher at the time claiming that not voting Tory was essentially treason.

Parallels are apparently being drawn between this election and the 1990 Eastbourne by-election which the LibDems won (overturning a 16K majority) after the Tory MP was killed by the IRA, I can remember some Tory backbencher at the time claiming that not voting Tory was essentially treason.

By whom? I'd be more than surprised if the LibDems won Southend, even if they did field a candidate.

By whom? I'd be more than surprised if the LibDems won Southend, even if they did field a candidate.
Some guy writing in the Times apparently I don't think they could possibly win either. The LibDems are a completely different beast to what they were in 1990 (thanks to Nick Clegg)

The Tories have a 14.5k majority in Southend West, they had 23k in North Shropshire, and the LDs took that.

Breaking paid advocacy rules and being stabbed by an Islamic terrorist aren't quite the same things though are they?

My mum lives in Southend so I'm very familiar with it. Trust me they wouldn't elect a LibDem MP this year.

As far as I can see the only thing of interest is the turnout and whether any of the right wing loon parties can eat into the tory vote.

If the news is to be believed he was a well liked constituency MP so on that basis alone I would guess there will be a decent turnout out of duty / respect. We'll see.

The stage is set for the gorgeous one to parachute in and shit everywhere.

images

Excellent. Bring on more crack pots and their lost deposits.

I'm hoping for some local independents standing on hyper local and hyper petty issues such as frequency of tree pruning in local parks or a change in priorities on a single one way street.

Yes, that's just what I was after.

Look how much he loves Britain. He's not like you woke Britain haters with your pasta and hummus and other foreign muck.

Nomination paper for Southend West

Christopher ANDERSON (Freedom Alliance The Real Alternative)
Catherine BLAIKLOCK (English Democrats Protect Our Borders)
Olga CHILDS (No ballot paper description)
Ben DOWNTON (Heritage Party)
Anna FIRTH (The Conservative Party Candidate)
Jayda FRANSEN (Independent)
Steve LAWS (UK Independence Party UKIP)
Graham MOORE (English Constitution Party, Freedom)
Jason PILLEY (Psychedelic Movement)

Nomination paper for Southend West

Christopher ANDERSON (Freedom Alliance The Real Alternative)
Catherine BLAIKLOCK (English Democrats Protect Our Borders)
Olga CHILDS (No ballot paper description)
Ben DOWNTON (Heritage Party)
Anna FIRTH (The Conservative Party Candidate)
Jayda FRANSEN (Independent)
Steve LAWS (UK Independence Party UKIP)
Graham MOORE (English Constitution Party, Freedom)
Jason PILLEY (Psychedelic Movement)

Dear me. What a mess.

With the exception of Olga Childs and the druggie guy that looks like a clean sweep of far right loons. I guess the other two might be as well.

Tbf who doesn't love a big dinner...?

Me. Little and often is much better. Stops you feeling like shite immediately after eating. Then again if I lived in Southend now I'm not sure there ia anything that could stop me feeling shite after that list of crackpots.

Back
Top Bottom