Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Snooker 2022-23

stavros

Because the new season is just getting started, with plenty of televisual treats over the coming days.

The World Mixed Doubles Championship is on ITV this weekend, the main channel and everything (live sport on a Saturday afternoon - that could take off). I can't remember watching mixed doubles before, or very much of the women's game full stop, so I'll definitely book a fair few hours out for that. The men they've got are O'Sullivan, Trump, Robertson and Selby, so it looks like high end stuff.

And then the British Open starts next Monday, this time on ITV4.

I should point out that Reanne Evans is also playing in the doubles, and she's got almost as many world titles as the men competing between them.

It seems the whole concept's quite new to the players too. On Yee was excellent; Ron Nee was shite.

I thought Selby looked almost flawless too, which is good, as I don't think he had a very good season last year.

So I'll confess I've not watched much of the British Open yet, but will correct that at the weekend.

I did catch a bit of Selby-Cao last night, where Ken Doherty and I think Rob Walker were commentating. They were remarking of how Ben Wollaston was still in the tournament, but was down to run the London Marathon at the weekend. Doherty then remarked:

"I did a Marathon last week... it tasted lovely."

I can only presume the quiet ambiance of a snooker hall prevented howls of laughter.

Man, that Day-Williams semi was atrocious in terms of quality.

The Allen-Day final is looking a bit better, although I hope they up the ante tonight.

Seriously weird this evening, watching Selby-Higgins. Behind the baulk end is the usual sponsor board, but this time it has pictures of the two competing players, roughly life-size. Higgins was down on a shot from that end and at first glance I thought it was the ref checking his bridging, but no, it was a smiling picture of Higgins himself.

• Haha
Reactions: MBV
O'Sullivan looked very clean against Fan, setting up a final against Trump tomorrow. Only his long pots looked off, but as he kept it so tight around the reds that didn't matter too much.

Ronnie running away with it against Trump.
Until Trump's 147
Ronnie still up 6-2 and now the way the balls are, are we going to see back to back 147's?

I turned on halfway through the maximum, and it looked like it woke Trump up. It's a cliché, but 6-3 is a massively different scoreline going into the final session, compared to 7-2. If Trump takes the first frame who knows.

Having said that O'Sullivan was totally motionless as Trump potted the final black of his maximum, which I don't think I've ever seen for a 147 before.

He only won it once in his heyday. He's got Ryan Day in the first round proper.

I'm glad Ding's qualified too, even though he's down to 38 in the rankings. He's got the Hawk in the first round.

Missed Zhao, did he win? Saw the end of Allen/Brown, neither really up to scratch.

No Zhao had his arse kicked by Craigie. He was putting in the odd good pot, but not stringing anything together. He didn't hit a break above 50 in the eight frames. Craigie finished him off with a century, which tells you who was in the right head space.

I only caught the tail end of Robertson-Perry, but by all accounts it was a similar story, with the world #2 not in it from the start.

Higgins-Ford and Hawkins-Ding tonight.

Saw Robertson/Perry and the end of Brecel /Haotian. Perry desefved the win and yeh, Robertson didn't even get his eye in, Brecel much the same.

So yeh, not seen any blistering performances yet but early days... hoping to see Ding this evening.

Back
Top Bottom