Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Should there be a second referendum? New question.

Should there be a second referendum?

• No. I'm a remainer.

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • No. I'm a leaver.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • Yes. I'm a remainer.

Votes: 49 52.7%
  • Yes. I'm a leaver.

Votes: 5 5.4%

• Total voters
I think, like chilango earlier possibly, the notion of there being a second referendum is bollocks isn't it? You really think they'll let the public fuck this up twice?

But I don't think there should be a second Brexit referendum, Sasaferrato . That's for a number of reasons. First, I'm not convinced of its fairness. There was a vote: an answer was given. If a question is being honestly, sincerely and genuinely asked, you don't keep asking it just because you don't like the answer. I have no general objection to referendums. I just think the impulse for a second one in this case untrustworthy. That's an ethical reason. Secondly comes a tactical reason: I think a second referendum would take the pressure off the politicians. I think that's exactly the wrong thing to do. More pressure should be piled onto them. The fissures will give eventually. It is not in our interests to bail the political class out. It is in our interests to weaken them, the better to extract demands. Their distress is our delight. Thirdly, on a related note, but more generally, it is not the job of the left to provide solutions for the ruling class. Our efforts should not be expended on problems of their making. We can't fix capitalism. It's neither our job nor is it even possible. I was amused yesterday to hear Pascal Lamy, the former head of the WTO, explain why the UK should not leave the EU with no deal and operate under WTO rules. Rules he promotes. Rules he thinks the UK should use in its dealings with New Zealand and Australia. I certainly don't think I should be expending any energy helping him square that circle. Far better, I think, to let them slog that one out themselves.

So, far from having "no opinion", you can see I have much to say on the matter. For the record, I voted Remain. I don't feel I'm "a Remainer", though. And I don't see states or supra states as forming any part of my identity. My Europeanness is like my Britishness: neither contingent on statehood, on polity, nor on paperwork imposed by the bureaucracies of the superstructure. Rather, it is a geographical fact.

What needs to happen is a two question second referendum that obviously weighs the odds heavily in favour of remain with some inherently biased questions...

Question 1,

In light of us having completely fucked up the leave negotiation and subsequent attempt to get our preposterous deal through parliament, should we abandon the whole cluster fuck and remain in the EU?

Yes
or
No

Question 2,
If we really must leave the EU, should we commit economic suicide and crash out with no deal, or pursue some watered down but obviously sensible Brexit, modelled after either Canada or Norway, so that we can say we've left the EU even though we haven't really?

No deal
or
Canada+/Norway

I sincerely believe that this is the only viable way out of our pridicament.

But I don't think there should be a second Brexit referendum, Sasaferrato . That's for a number of reasons. First, I'm not convinced of its fairness. There was a vote: an answer was given. If a question is being honestly, sincerely and genuinely asked, you don't keep asking it just because you don't like the answer. I have no general objection to referendums. I just think the impulse for a second one in this case untrustworthy. That's an ethical reason. Secondly comes a tactical reason: I think a second referendum would take the pressure off the politicians. I think that's exactly the wrong thing to do. More pressure should be piled onto them. The fissures will give eventually. It is not in our interests to bail the political class out. It is in our interests to weaken them, the better to extract demands. Their distress is our delight. Thirdly, on a related note, but more generally, it is not the job of the left to provide solutions for the ruling class. Our efforts should not be expended on problems of their making. We can't fix capitalism. It's neither our job nor is it even possible. I was amused yesterday to hear Pascal Lamy, the former head of the WTO, explain why the UK should not leave the EU with no deal and operate under WTO rules. Rules he promotes. Rules he thinks the UK should use in its dealings with New Zealand and Australia. I certainly don't think I should be expending any energy helping him square that circle. Far better, I think, to let them slog that one out themselves.

So, far from having "no opinion", you can see I have much to say on the matter. For the record, I voted Remain. I don't feel I'm "a Remainer", though. And I don't see states or supra states as forming any part of my identity. My Europeanness is like my Britishness: neither contingent on statehood, on polity, nor on paperwork imposed by the bureaucracies of the superstructure. Rather, it is a geographical fact.

I wanted to like this post several times but I can't, so I'm quoting it .. especially the bits in bold. Exact.

pimp-my-ride-main.jpg

Danny, I hear what you say, and there is little, prima facie, to disagree with.

Just one point: When we voted, we didn't know what we were voting for. Now we do. On that basis, another referendum is justified. If the answer is still 'Leave', so be it. At least it is 'Leave' based on a lot more knowledge.

I suspect that the North East will regret their 'Leave' vote for generations. No UK government is going to replace the EU money spent there.

Back
Top Bottom