Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Should the fox hunting ban be lifted?

Should the fox hunting ban be lifted?

• Total voters
Do you live in a cave somewhere? :D
I know what limes are, just never seen them in the supermarket or convenience store.

I tend to buy what's cheap: if apples are on sale then great otherwise they are ridiculously overpriced. Or it's a bag of bananas (cheaper than apples despite travelling halfway around the world), or a bag of satsumas or something. Usually around the £1 mark.

But those recipes are too expensive and too reliant on specialty ingredients. I was really trying to find something more practical for people on low budgets.

Thanks, but...not really. For example:
Barbecued lamb, salsa verde, tomato salad, toasted couscous and fromage blanc

Sounds nice (though i draw the line at eating baby animals, that's not necessary).

But coimpletely impractical cost wise.

Not all of it obviously (that one isn't even veggie :facepalm: ), but I found stuff like a butternut squash soup recipe that I still do from time to time. Mix it up with a few carrots and it's really cheap to do, but cheap in any case for the amount of soup you get.

A lot of the stuff like herbs will be common to many recipes so you only need to buy them once in a blue moon.

without looking through every recipe on each of those links, they are not cheap at all. Taking Pea and New Potato curry for example, sounds delish. Requires a bunch of stuff, like peppers, that cost a fortune. Pepers are lovely, but they are far from cheap. Then there's all the herbs and spices and the extras like yoghurts and lime - i don't think ive ever seen limes on sale anywhere! Lemons? Yep.

This is what i'm talking about. Completely impractical. Nothing simple and straightforward. It's all showy masterchef stuff.
Is it fuck. It's simple cooking that you ought to have learnt by now if you're interested in saving money and not living on ready meals and take outs

Is it fuck. It's simple cooking that you ought to have learnt by now if you're interested in saving money and not living on ready meals and take outs
im not talking about the actual cooking per se, and in any case where does one learn cooking? School? Not in my case. 'Home economics' was a joke.

Not that i think kids shouldn't learn these things in school.

without looking through every recipe on each of those links, they are not cheap at all.
Now you're just taking the piss. Veggie meals are almost always cheaper than meat based ones.

Would this be too tough for you:

Boil kettle, pour into saucepan, put vegies in steamer, and steam for 10 minutes or a bit less if you like them slightly crunchy. Add butter. http://studentrecipes.com/recipes/vegetarian/steamed-vegies-with-mushrooms-1/

Read and learn:
http://studentrecipes.com/recipes/vegetarian/
http://webecoist.momtastic.com/2008/10/28/14-quick-vegetarian-recipes-for-the-hopeless-cook/

Or just go in any supermarket and look under veggie meals.

Not all of it obviously (that one isn't even veggie :facepalm: ), but I found stuff like a butternut squash soup recipe that I still do from time to time. Mix it up with a few carrots and it's really cheap to do, but cheap in any case for the amount of soup you get.

A lot of the stuff like herbs will be common to many recipes so you only need to buy them once in a blue moon.
yeah but isn't there a site or something that has simpler but still cost effective and tasty recipes?

That might be a bit unfair: it sounds as though zxspectrum might live in a place where the best you can hope for from the local shop is overpriced potato, carrots going bad, and perhaps cabbage or onion. Or a wilted bit of lettuce.

im not talking about the actual cooking per se, and in any case where does one learn cooking? School? Not in my case. 'Home economics' was a joke.

I learnt by doing it. It's as easy as following a recipe.

That might be a bit unfair: it sounds as though zxspectrum might live in a place where the best you can hope for from the local shop is overpriced potato, carrots going bad, and perhaps cabbage or onion. Or a wilted bit of lettuce.

But oh so conveniently happens to have a butchers shop.

Does it? OK, then, I really don't know the situaton. But I have certainly met situations where the single (or few) shops are extremely limited in selection and horribly overpriced, and anything better involves travel costs.

tbh a lot of places with a "village shop" are pretty much as Celyn said. a small variety of lackluster fruit and veg, prepacaked meat, freybentos pies and as many pot noodles you can ever want. and it all costing twice what it is in a supermarket

but enough of that i have just discovered that dangermouse is on netflix so thats me sorted for the next few hours

why is that oh so convenient?

Dunno man, it kinda sounds like you're just making shit up to rationalise meat consumption: 'humane meat', 'i can't eat fruit', 'there are no vegetables on sale in my area', 'i'm a fusy eater', 'it's too expensive'... make your bloody mind up! :)

Dunno man, it kinda sounds like you're just making shit up to rationalise meat consumption: 'humane meat', 'i can't eat fruit', 'there are no vegetables on sale in my area', 'i'm a fusy eater', 'it's too expensive'... make your bloody mind up! :)
I rationalise meat consumption quite simply; I like it. As I said, I don't have a problem with it.

You sound paranoid when you misrepresent what i say. I never said I can't eat fruit. I never said there are no vegetables on sale either. when you do that, you take the piss a bit and so we'll leave it there.

tbh a lot of places with a "village shop" are pretty much as Celyn said. a small variety of lackluster fruit and veg, prepacaked meat, freybentos pies and as many pot noodles you can ever want. and it all costing twice what it is in a supermarket...

Yes! Village, and in many inner city areas too. And lacklustre is a very polite way of describing some of the grotty fruit and veg to be found. :)

Get carrots and onions - chop up, drizzle in a bit of olive oil, sprinkle on two of these four (smoked paprika, cumin seeds, chilli powder, garlic grain pepper) then chuck them in a properly hot oven for 10-15 mins.

Cheaper than chips and lovely and better for you - 5 flavour options here too.

You can roast broccoli in a similar manner too but that's slightly more expensive.

Get carrots and onions - chop up, drizzle in a bit of olive oil, sprinkle on two of these four (smoked paprika, cumin seeds, chilli powder, garlic grain pepper) then chuck them in a properly hot oven for 10-15 mins.

Cheaper than chips and lovely and better for you - 5 flavour options here too.

You can roast broccoli in a similar manner too but that's slightly more expensive.
I have my quota of the above with my evening meal: 1 carrot and a couple of spears of Broccoli a day, along with MEAT! and some spinach and a chopped mushroom, plus some rice/noodles. I'd rather not eat rice noodles because on top of that i also eat too much bread.

Though it is clear what 'side' you are on, you don't really bring much to the debate
much that is acceptable to you you mean
or sugar coated or full of caveats or walking on eggshells?
i know my posting style is abrasive but i do have a view, it's been done 100's of times here and this is off topic, another thread ruined by people with fingers in their ears shouting lalalalalala

there are shitloads of videos on youtube that will show you step by step

much that is acceptable to you you mean
or sugar coated or full of caveats or walking on eggshells?
i know my posting style is abrasive but i do have a view, it's been done 100's of times here and this is off topic, another thread ruined by people with fingers in their ears shouting lalalalalala
You just jeer at people and criticise other people for doing so. It's not going to win anyone over or make them think. Jeff's posts make me think more as he actually has many valid points to make that he takes time to convey.

You just jeer at people and criticise other people for doing so. It's not going to win anyone over or make them think. Jeff's posts make me think more as he actually has many valid points to make that he takes time to convey.
yes i've agreed my posting style is abrasive teach
your posting style leaves a lot to be desired sometimes too
I wish I was as rational and informed as Jeff and could argue calmly but that ain't me.
Also not trying to or my responsibility to win you or anyone over

can't you see the slight arrogance in your and others posts shutting down the opposing viewpoint?

Back
Top Bottom