Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Shots fired outside Houses of Parliament

curious. Guardian saying 7 people arrested but that police believe this attacker “acted alone and inspired by international terrorism".
Also says that police have asked journalists not to release the name of the attacker.
They raided the address given when the car was rented, among others. Whoever's name is on the document and anyone living with them are likely to be arrested I'd have thought. Chances are people will get picked up for other unrelated things too.

Last edited:
They raided the address given when the car was rented, among others. Whoevers name is on the document and anyone living with them are likely to be arrested I'd have thought. Chances are people will get picked up for other unrelated things too.

PACE means a lot more arrests rather than the old "assisting police with their enquires". It's more about interviewing people under caution than to suggest there is evidence of involvement.

Is there still a pta?
It was made permanent in 2000, under Blair.

E2A:

Or so I thought. It was replaced in 2000 by the Terrorism Act, which 'superseded and repealed the original PTA. This is the bit I was thinking of, though:

"Section 41 (arrest without warrant)
Section 41 of the Act provided the police with the power to arrest and detain a person without charge for up to 48 hours if they were suspected of being a terrorist.[13] This period of detention could be extended to up to seven days if the police can persuade a judge that it is necessary for further questioning.[14]

This was a break from ordinary criminal law where suspects had to be charged within 24 hours of detention or be released. This period was later extended to 14 days by the Criminal Justice Act 2003,[15] and to 28 days by the Terrorism Act 2006."

Terrorism Act 2000 - Wikipedia

Slightly OT but at work we are all first aiders. We are due for renewals this year. One lad went two weeks back and was shown, on top of the usual first aid at work course, how to apply tourniquets and hydrostatic packs for treating blast injuries. They were told they would be provided by ambulances attending any terror incident.
Also that all ambulances now carry various antidotes for some nerve agents. The establishment appears to accept that at some point in the near future there will be something horrific happen.

There is going to be a candlelit vigil tonight at 6 at Trafalgar Square.

I can't help but think this plays into the hands of those seeking to create a climate of fear (the jihadis, the racists, and the security services). It'd be better if those who weren't directly affected just got on with things as normal. As sad as this is for the families of those who died, in the context of London's statistics on stabbings and road deaths, the numbers are not statistically significant. (Not saying the deaths aren't significant to those who knew them, of course.)

Slightly OT but at work we are all first aiders. We are due for renewals this year. One lad went two weeks back and was shown, on top of the usual first aid at work course, how to apply tourniquets and hydrostatic packs for treating blast injuries. They were told they would be provided by ambulances attending any terror incident.
Also that all ambulances now carry various antidotes for some nerve agents. The establishment appears to accept that at some point in the near future there will be something horrific happen.

Tourniquets and trauma dressings yes, antidotes to nerve agents no. Think someone's been getting a tad over excited.

I can't help but think this plays into the hands of those seeking to create a climate of fear (the jihadis, the racists, and the security services). It'd be better if those who weren't directly affected just got on with things as normal. As sad as this is for the families of those who died, in the context of London's statistics on stabbings and road deaths, the numbers are not statistically significant. (Not saying the deaths aren't significant to those who knew them, of course.)
I don't agree. I think the vigil is about people gathering to acknowledge that there has been an attack on random, but ordinary, people in central London and that it is saying, quietly and calmly, that Londoners will not be scared away from going about their business.

I don't agree. I think the vigil is about people gathering to acknowledge that there has been an attack on random, but ordinary, people in central London and that it is saying, quietly and calmly, that Londoners will not be scared away from going about their business.
if you want to say 'londoners will not be scared away from going about their business' perhaps the best way to say it is simply for londoners to go about their business.

if you want to say 'londoners will not be scared away from going about their business' perhaps the best way to say it is simply for londoners to go about their business.
We will be doing that as well. But some of us will be pausing to acknowledge that there has been an attack on random people walking across Westminster Bridge. As in the first part of my post.

By not just going about their business?

Over 100 people a year in London are murdered, and over 60 pedestrians killed. So, we're looking a broadly similar figures to what happened yesterday, every week. We don't hold weekly vigils though. Why give this nutter more significance than he deserves?

Because terror attacks target everyone, while we may not all be direct victims, we are all tragetted by 'terrorism'?

In a way, if there was a big public candleit vigil for the latest teenager shot dead in London (on Monday) or cyclist run over that might be more pointful, but won't happen.

By not just going about their business?

Over 100 people a year in London are murdered, and over 60 pedestrians killed. So, we're looking a broadly similar figures to what happened yesterday, every week. We don't hold weekly vigils though. Why give this nutter more significance than he deserves?
See the first part of my post.

Sometimes, there are vigils, although not weekly.

This one has been called because what happened yesterday was out of the norm, and it has been decided to acknowledge that through a candlelit vigil. There is no requirement on anyone to join in, but I thought some readers of this thread may be interested, so I shared it.

I am not organising it.

As with the Boston marathon bombing a few years ago, this could have been much, much worse. Tragic and outrageous as this attack is, a feeling of relief, even levity, is understandable.

Back
Top Bottom